Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, you weren't casting aspersions on him intellectually. You were saying that because he is an intellectual, he is qualified to be PM.

I'm saying that there is considerably more to being a good leader than an intellectual background. Would you disagree?
That may be true, however I was replying to a post stating (below) that Boris Johnson doesn't have a clue about Brexit and GATT.
When he clearly does and is also surrounded by economic and legal advisors, indeed there's a whole team of them at Downing Street and in Whitehall.

In terms of Johnson's personal qualities he has made a number f very good speeches, ang the Tories are now 10 points back in front of the opposition and have taken votes back from Nigel Farage and his Brexit Party, who are waitng in the wings for an opportunity to make their mark on British politics. Furethermore as Johnsons sister rightly pointed out, play the ball and not the man.

As for the EU. if they are not going to negotiate any further, and the UK Parliament has rejected the current deal three times, and there can't be any extension unless according to the EU's own terms it's to tie up the final terms of a deal, then we have to by default leave on the 31st October, as there is no alternative.

After we leave, we can hold trade talks with the EU and put temporary measures in place, and we can also hold talks about future relations including defence and other collaboration, and that is what is now most likely happen.

What do you expect us to do, keep trying to get Theresa May's deal through Parliament.

I don't see what the argument is, as the divorce deal is not the trade deal and nor the deal in relation to continued defence collaboration and future relations, and if we can't negotiate the divorce deal then we have to lerave by default, however that doesn't mean future deals in relation to trase and relations can't be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Johnson admitted "he doesn’t have the faintest clue what’s in the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade—the very text he’s been using to justify his outlandish Brexit stance."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-o...=home?ref=home

Recently, he was carrying on about EU's kipper shipping rules. Turns out it's UK not the EU that's behind this nefarious situation.

Should be fascinating watching Johnson BS his way through Brexit.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-29-2019 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
I’m confused. What is the basis for such optimism?

Quote:
Johnson said he did not accept Gove’s claim that the government was now working on the assumption that a no deal Brexit was the most likely outcome. Asked about Gove’s assumption, and whether he agreed, Johnson replied:

“No, absolutely not. My assumption is that we can get a new deal, we’re aiming for a new deal. But, of course, Michael is absolutely right that it’s responsible for any government to prepare for a no deal if we absolutely have to.”
Quote:
Johnson reasserted his claim that the chances of a no deal Brexit could be as low as a million to one. Asked if he still stood by the claim he made at a Tory leadership hustings about the odds of no deal being a million to one, he replied:

“I think it is absolutely right that we should go for a deal, and there is every chance that we can get a deal. And I think with goodwill and with common sense, that is what we will achieve.”

When pressed again on whether he stood by his one million to one claim, Johnson replied:

“Provided there is sufficient goodwill and common sense on the part of our partners, that is exactly where I would put the odds.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...andon-backstop

Old 07-29-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m confused. What is the basis for such optimism?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...andon-backstop
I have never heard the second quote, and the current situation is that the EU is not willing to change it's deal or renogiate and Britain and it's Pariament are not willing to accept the current deal, so as far as I can see unless the EU are bluffing there is no alternative to a no deal, and as a nation we must be properly prepared.

The EU really hasn't thought this one through properly, as after the no deal divorce settlent, they then have to try and secure access to their biggest market with a over $100 a year EU surplus and have to try and convince Britain to keep close defence, security and other collboration. I am sorry but there will be pressure for Britain to pull out of all kinds of other deals if there is no trade deal, and future relations will be very poor indeed.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-29-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 08:01 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
BraveNewWorld, I don't disagree with much you say. It's been clear to me for a while that that 1) May set herself an impossible task and 2) she was not the person who could have pulled it off even if it was possible.

Britain is deeply divided on this issue. So what will happen now is that Johnson will oversee a hard Brexit. And there will be huge pushback from those who oppose Brexit. There are tons of ways for things to go wrong, and anything that can go wrong, will. I really think that the future existence of the United Kingdom is at risk here. Is Johnson the guy who can prevent this fracture? It will take more than intellectual ability to do that.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Straight from the Trump playbook. Yammering on ad nauseum isn’t fooling me. You don’t know ANYTHING about Europe. Nothing. You’ve probably never even left your state. You’re not exhibiting any knowledge here...just diarrhea of the keyboard. Some folks here are apparently impressed, but I’m not.

I lived in Europe for 13 years, so it’s easy to see that you’re informed by nothing more than right wing Trumpian sentiment. You’d never even heard of Great Britain before Trump got elected. You had a plate of fish n chips, and now you’re trying to pass yourself off as an expert of some sort.

Be gone.

13 years pre-Euro gives you no insight to what we want.

Stay in your lane. It's not your continent.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
BraveNewWorld, I don't disagree with much you say. It's been clear to me for a while that that 1) May set herself an impossible task and 2) she was not the person who could have pulled it off even if it was possible.

Britain is deeply divided on this issue. So what will happen now is that Johnson will oversee a hard Brexit. And there will be huge pushback from those who oppose Brexit. There are tons of ways for things to go wrong, and anything that can go wrong, will. I really think that the future existence of the United Kingdom is at risk here. Is Johnson the guy who can prevent this fracture? It will take more than intellectual ability to do that.
The fact that Farage ands his Brexit Party and waiting in the wings, that Johnsn's approach is popular and that there will be a hugh push from Brexiteers seems to have escaped you.

Also they can't do anything to stop Brexit, as there can't be an extenson unless there is a deal and parliament can't stop the UK leaving by default.

A new prime minister intent on no deal Brexit can't be stopped by MPs - Institute for Government

Deal or no deal, here's why Brexit cannot be stopped

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-29-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The fact that Farage ands his Brexit Party and waiting in the wings, that Johnsn's approach is popular and that there will be a hugh push from Brexiteers seems to have escaped you.
I don't understand why you think that the divisions in the UK have escaped me, since I just said that I think there is a real possibility that the UK will fracture over Brexit, but oh well.

Quote:
Also they can't do anything to stop Brexit, as there can't be an extenson unless there is a deal and parliament can't stop the UK leaving by default.
I'm not sure why you think I think that Brexit can still be stopped, when I just said that Johnson will be overseeing a hard Brexit, but oh well.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why you think that the divisions in the UK have escaped me, since I just said that I think there is a real possibility that the UK will fracture over Brexit, but oh well.
It's more to do with the divisions between remainer and brexiteers, as for the UK fracturing that's not ver probablr given that Scotland does £55 billion worth of trade with England and around £11 Billion with the rest of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg
I'm not sure why you think I think that Brexit can still be stopped, when I just said that Johnson will be overseeing a hard Brexit, but oh well.
Johnson will still try to get a divorce deal compromise, if that fails then we move to a trade deal and if that fails then Britain is hardly likely to be very engaging in terms of future relationships and in terms of colaboration such as British troops guarding the borders of Eastern Europe and other potential European flashpoints.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
It's more to do with the divisions between remainer and brexiteers, as for the UK fracturing that's not ver probablr given that Scotland does £55 billion worth of trade with England and around £11 Billion with the rest of Europe.
But there's the Irelands...

Besides, the trade volumes are clearly not the deciding factor in whether someone supports Brexit or not, are they? Otherwise, the UK wouldn't be leaving the EU in the first place.

Quote:
Johnson will still try to get a divorce deal compromise, if that fails then we move to a trade deal and if that fails then Britain is hardly likely to be very engaging in terms of future relationships and in terms of colaboration such as British troops guarding the borders of Eastern Europe and other potential European flashpoints.
You know and I know that the EU is done dealing. Heck, the whole world knows. I'm sure he will try, but his success will match May's.

If Brexit does negatively affect NATO and other mutual self-defense agreements, seems to me that is one more reason for the UK to fracture.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
But there's the Irelands...

Besides, the trade volumes are clearly not the deciding factor in whether someone supports Brexit or not, are they? Otherwise, the UK wouldn't be leaving the EU in the first place.

You know and I know that the EU is done dealing. Heck, the whole world knows. I'm sure he will try, but his success will match May's.

If Brexit does negatively affect NATO and other mutual self-defense agreements, seems to me that is one more reason for the UK to fracture.
  • The Ireland question is settled. There's going to be no backstop.
  • Nobody knows that the EU is "done dealing". They have a notorious history of "dealing" at the very last moment. You confuse this with May's lack of ability to push them into a corner to make them bend the knee. And in the end, IMO, they will bend the knee. The money says they will. BTW, you don't speak for the "entire world".
  • Brexit will have 0 effect on NATO.
  • UK "fracture". What does that even mean? It sounds like FUD made up by someone against BRexit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies