Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Interesting observations.

Though we share a common language, sort of, few cultural traditions of England seem to have flourished in the US.

Not only the whole Queen, Duke, Earl, etc. business, sports interests, and side of the road driving, but even the food is not widely available. For example, in most cities of any reasonable size one can find restaurants and bakeries that serve food from just about every nation in the world -- French, German, India, Thailand, Mexico, Spain, you name it. We even have a Himalayan restaurant nearby. But I can't recall a single restaurant that serves Bubble and Squeak, Bangers and Mash, ...

Afternoon tea is about the only English tradition that comes to mind, and even those are few and far between and usually only offered by swanky restaurants that otherwise do not specialize in English fare.

Even so, I still hope things work out well for the UK.
We don't need food or royalty in common.

And probably the reason British food isn't widely available here is that there isn't enough of a concentration of Brits in any one place. Where I live there's a large Indian population and several places to get curry. Same with the Mexican food--it's because there are a lot of Mexicans around.

English food is great! I recently fell upon a small area of our state that is home to quite a few Brits and you can bet your boots, there is English food there. Several decent, genuine type pubs, and a fantastic restaurant that serves real English food along with the beers and ales. I didn't see bubble and squeak or bangers and mash on the menu but this was a dinner place with lots of drinking too so no full English breakfast either. But it was the next best thing to the English food that I love so much when I go to visit.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This constant repetition that the EU is being mean to the UK is mystifying.

UK said they wanted to leave. EU said fine.

UK said it wanted to negotiate a deal. EU said fine.

After months of negotiating, the deal included paying what the UK had already committed to, and a transition period to work out the details of the Irish border.

UK said the didn't like the deal. EU said fine, but that's the deal.

UK can leave at any time.
The EU has been just as we expected, and the idea that the EU were being underhand and treating Britain with total disrepect came from actual footage of the EU. I am British and have witnessed everything first hand, I have watched what's gone on and Brexit has been part of my life since 2016.

Here's a youtuber highlighting some of the EU behind the scenes filming that was the subject of a British TV documentary.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Unlike Trump, Boris is extremely clever and cunning. He has personality and, well, he can run circles around Trump. Boris could flatter Trump's massive ego, trick him into a trade deal, and walk away as though it was a piece of cake.

Boris is smart enough to know how to handle Trump and Trump is greedy and naive enough to believe anything he is told if he thinks it will somehow benefit him. Boris is not above telling little white lies either. --he can out-Trump Trump.

Trump won't know what hit him, lol, and Britain will come out with a beneficial trade deal.
Totally Agree.

Boris has already made some good speeches and promises and he now needs to get Brexit done and condem Corbyn and his anti semite marxist cronies to the history books.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:07 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The US is not the solution nor was it the solution, besides I would be careful about believing anything Trump says because he is prone to bluster. Johnson is facing the same problems as May and he is back to negotiating with May, some of his foreign ministers have resigned and others have threatened to leave if their is a hard exit. The problems didn't just disappear when May resigned.
No, not correct.

May's problems were of her own creation. They aren't Johnson's problems. Boris is already on record saying that her deal is DOA, and that BRexit is happening deal or not. May could never make that decision.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:30 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
All this trying to 'distant' yourself from the UK and all said in beautiful ENGLISH! lol :-D. For somebody who has 'no interest' in UK politics you ain't half posting on here a lot! Like Dave I also don't believe you have been ANYWHERE near the UK you observations about the British are straight out of 'the big book of national stereotypes'!

Indeed.
The only cliches this poster didn't trot out was bad food and bad teeth.
Most of the observations seem to come from watching bad Hugh Grant films.
It would be just like me saying the majority of Americans are obese.
Oh,hang on a minute ...

Old 07-28-2019, 02:28 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
The idea that Boris Johnson is going to outwit Putin and Trump is rather humorous.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So what exactly is the problem, as a hard Brexit is the only credible way forward, the EU won't negotiate and Parliament and indeed the Government won't accept the backstop.

The only way forward is to prepare to leave whithout a trade deal, in the meantime it's sensible to try and get a trade deal with the US, something the EU has never ever managed to do.

The new PM is doing well in the polls with a 10 point lwas, and has stated there will be no snap election and that we will leave on the 31st October, unless there is a good reason to offer an extension such as tying up a deal then no extension can be offered by the EU, and Britain leaves by default.

It's then up to the UK and EU to put meaures in place to temporarily continue trade, and to engage in trade talks and then talks in relation to Britain's future relationship in terms of areas such as defence and security and a host of other collaboration, which the EU depends on.

This is at a time when Trump is still deciding on Americas future in NATO anf has even questioned Article 5, and the Democrats are equally looking at scaling back US Military commitments and making significant US Defence cuts.

Are the EU really prepared to lose the UK as an ally and trading partner, and if the UK does lossen it's ties then it may well end up being the catalyst for similar action across the Atlantic.

The backstop always was a stupid idea put forwards by equally stupid unelected EU officials, indeed there is very little trade in terms of NI, which has a population of 1.8 million, so I just hope as the pillars fall down in the EU Temple and they have to deal with the Russian threat all by themselves that they fully realise what a grave and stupid mistake they made, in underestimating the British.
Well at least for now Boris is back to negotiating a deal with the EU, they say they are done so we will see if he follows through October 31. I sincerely doubt either side wants to lose trading partners or allies but this will be complicated. It would make a lot of sense to have this all worked out before hand but I doubt that Johnson can do in three months what May couldn't do in 3 years, but I always have respect for British optimism. It reminds me of Trump and the ACA, lets cancel Obamacare and then we will figure out a new plan.

The division of Ireland was actually a dumb idea but dividing up countries was never the UK's strong suit. If they don't like the backstop then stay in the EU because that doesn't look like its going away and the UK is not bargaining from a position of strength.

Boris Johnson is a bad choice to solve this, he has some very Trumpian tendencies like making up his own facts and attempts to over simplify complicated problems.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:13 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Well at least for now Boris is back to negotiating a deal with the EU, ....
Hmmm. Nope. Want to try that one again?
Quote:

The division of Ireland was actually a dumb idea .....
What in the hell are you talking about?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmmm. Nope. Want to try that one again?

oh OK.

Quote:
Mr. Johnson wants to strike an agreement of his own with Brussels by Oct. 31 — specifically, one without the controversial Irish border provisions in Mrs. May’s deal — but that may not be possible.
European Union leaders have said repeatedly that they will not reopen negotiations and that the deal they reached with Mrs. May is the only one they will consider.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/23/w...explainer.html

Quote:
The EU’s chief negotiator has dismissed Boris Johnson‘s latest Brexit plan just hours after he unveiled it to MPs.
In an email to member states seen by The Independent, Michel Barnier said the proposal unveiled by Mr Johnson on Thursday afternoon was “of course unacceptable” as it crossed red lines laid down by EU leaders.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9020866.html

Old 07-28-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Well at least for now Boris is back to negotiating a deal with the EU, they say they are done so we will see if he follows through October 31. I sincerely doubt either side wants to lose trading partners or allies but this will be complicated. It would make a lot of sense to have this all worked out before hand but I doubt that Johnson can do in three months what May couldn't do in 3 years, but I always have respect for British optimism. It reminds me of Trump and the ACA, lets cancel Obamacare and then we will figure out a new plan.

The division of Ireland was actually a dumb idea but dividing up countries was never the UK's strong suit. If they don't like the backstop then stay in the EU because that doesn't look like its going away and the UK is not bargaining from a position of strength.

Boris Johnson is a bad choice to solve this, he has some very Trumpian tendencies like making up his own facts and attempts to over simplify complicated problems.
The EU have said they are not going to negotiate and the deal will not be changed and the UK has said we won't vote for a backstop, in terms of NI, it has a lot of history, the Orangemen still celebrate the Battle of the Boyne and in 1912 some 500,000 Ulster Unionists signed the Ulster Covenant, and declared they would fight to the death rather than join the south.

There is nothing more to negotiate as far as I can see, and Boris is right to prepare for a hard Brexit.

The EU has alsp now replaced the old guard of Juncker and co with an even more inept, corrupt and unaccountable and enelected officials.

Still at least it was amusing to watch Andrew Neill destroy the new corrupt and incompetent EU leaders in an interview with an EU official on the BBC last week and Farage was also in fine form in the EU Parliament.

Watchout for those German Army Broomstcks, they can kill a man at two paces.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies