Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
My best friend’s mother is a 70 year-old progressive out in SF (where I’m from myself) who has become SO overwrought with emotion that it’s become impossible to hold a conversation with her on ANY topic without her managing to connect the dots back to Trump. I was visiting my friend not too long ago and her mother began querying me about the southern border, which I live under 200 miles from. Before I could even respond she began weeping and sobbing over “the children, the children!” and got herself so worked up she got up and went to her bedroom and closed the door.

Now, I’ve been told in the past that my tone can be “coarse and forceful” in conversation, but that is THE first time that I’ve ever made someone cry without uttering a single word at all. It was pretty dramatic.
That's a perfect example. The histrionics alone should inform everyone that these people are *off*.

And you always see them respond in an extreme manner when it comes to illegals and puppies and trees - never Americans, unless they're in some sub-group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 12:01 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's a perfect example. The histrionics alone should inform everyone that these people are *off*.

And you always see them respond in an extreme manner when it comes to illegals and puppies and trees - never Americans, unless they're in some sub-group.
I’m fascinated by the psychology on this topic. It’s been my own personal experience that conservatives are more likely to maintain a conversation on politics without resorting to personal attacks. Conservatives seem more “cold” and unfeeling to human suffering, likely because conservatives have a very strong opinion of self-reliance and taking care of one’s own problems. They don’t pity those who won’t help themselves and aren’t afraid to state it. Liberals are far more emotional groupthink people who believe more in a collective helping each other out, with the weakest members receiving more help than others. They feel it’s not only their right but their responsibility to torque on anyone who disagrees.

It’s this huge difference in overall personalities that plot the course of our personal politics. We disagree because we disagree. It has always been this way and it will remain this way. What has changed is the way we interact with one another. We’ve lost our manners and treat each other terribly based on our politics and not our personality. It’s a disastrous way for humans to live together.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Lol the party against science is trying to use science to bash the left? And yes psychology is considered a science
The source publication is known for presenting views and data "not in keeping with the contemporary intellectual consensus" so it becomes something of a platform for "off the wall" rationalizations and controversial topics just to keep it alive. In this case, not worth a grain of salt.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Yeah, you right wingers are just a real peach to be around. Just a ball of conviviality.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:15 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Yes, Democrats are so full of Progressive hostility that they want you to have the right to have health care and a fair wage.

Those Angry @#$@$~!

Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I’m fascinated by the psychology on this topic. It’s been my own personal experience that conservatives are more likely to maintain a conversation on politics without resorting to personal attacks. Conservatives seem more “cold” and unfeeling to human suffering, likely because conservatives have a very strong opinion of self-reliance and taking care of one’s own problems. They don’t pity those who won’t help themselves and aren’t afraid to state it. Liberals are far more emotional groupthink people who believe more in a collective helping each other out, with the weakest members receiving more help than others. They feel it’s not only their right but their responsibility to torque on anyone who disagrees.

It’s this huge difference in overall personalities that plot the course of our personal politics. We disagree because we disagree. It has always been this way and it will remain this way. What has changed is the way we interact with one another. We’ve lost our manners and treat each other terribly based on our politics and not our personality. It’s a disastrous way for humans to live together.

I can't disagree.
Except for
Quote:
conservatives are more likely to maintain a conversation on politics without resorting to personal attacks.
I have been called every name in the book by them.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 07-30-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 12:19 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yes, Democrats are so full of Progressive hostility that they want you to have the right to have health care and a fair wage.

Those Angry @#$@$~!
Progressives want other people to pay for it is the problem. Conservatives aren’t arguing against your desires for any reason other than they don’t want to pay for them. I think both parties are probably at a permanent impasse over this.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Not all Democrats are liberals and not all liberals are progressives.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Liberals are triggered by their emotions

Conservatives are triggered by the stupidity of others

Old 07-30-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Progressives want other people to pay for it is the problem. Conservatives aren’t arguing against your desires for any reason other than they don’t want to pay for them.

Conservatives want me to pay for their wall and their out of control military...and tax breaks for the rich and the corporations.

Well, I don't like paying for their ballooning deficit, Wall...and we spend way, way, way too much money (and time and involvement in military spending, and it's not even really for our defense...we are getting involved in other countries
business and politics and we shouldn't.
I hate that they take half of the money I make, but to do it just to spread more war....I would rather see it benefit society,
not destroy it. Save lives, not take lives. Benefit us, not rob from us. I would rather see it benefit a poor, struggling person than another billionaire. But that is just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies