Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Obama-like positions or AOC-like positions?
Obama / Moderates 33 54.10%
AOC / Progressives 16 26.23%
I'm a Republican that just wants to vote 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

I was surprised that the vast majority of candidates are attacking Obama's policies...

The media is saying most Democrats favor Obama over the more progressive side of Democrats like AOC.

I want to know what our C-D Democrats think.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 08-02-2019 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
I didn't watch the debates because it doesn't matter, I'll be voting for the Democrat. But if I'd seen them attacking Obama I would have emailed every one of these candidates that are sending me requests for money and told them what I though of that. Thankfully, we have a long way to go before the next election and there's plenty of time to course correct. As for AOC, I think she's a lightning rod that brings attention to various issues. I don't get worked up about her, there's always a rabble rouser in the bunch, she's young and energetic.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Was there really a difference in Bush & Obama in the end?

Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Was there really a difference in Bush & Obama in the end?
Who mentioned Bush ???

Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I didn't watch the debates because it doesn't matter, I'll be voting for the Democrat. But if I'd seen them attacking Obama I would have emailed every one of these candidates that are sending me requests for money and told them what I though of that. Thankfully, we have a long way to go before the next election and there's plenty of time to course correct. As for AOC, I think she's a lightning rod that brings attention to various issues. I don't get worked up about her, there's always a rabble rouser in the bunch, she's young and energetic.

Yep, even every show host was questioning why are they attacking Obama who is very popular among Democrats instead of Trump. I guess they all want to knock down Biden, but they are doing so by literally calling out Obama. Saying, why didn't you tell Obama not to deport all those illegals.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yep, even every show host was questioning why are they attacking Obama who is very popular among Democrats instead of Trump. I guess they all want to knock down Biden, but they are doing so by literally calling out Obama. Saying, why didn't you tell Obama not to deport all those illegals.
I am a lifelong Democrat (generally moderate). Obama is the first Democrat since FDR to win the Presidency two times consecutively with 50% or more of the popular vote.

I have no idea what these candidates are smoking. Glad to see some of the moderates finally speak up in the last two debates.

This is an excerpt from a short piece by Elaine Kamarck at the Brookings Institution on this topic:

The Democratic Party is, as it has been for many decades now, a center-left party and not a left-wing party in the style of European political parties. In the first Democratic debates in June, many of the candidates fell blindly into far-left ideological traps, causing panic among Democrats concerned about beating Trump.

As the following table (updated from a paper published with my colleague William A. Galston in 2011) shows, there is no possibility of a purely liberal or purely conservative governing coalition: “To win, each party needs to form a coalition with moderate voters. But the structure of those coalitions is very different.”

Although the number of self-identified liberals has increased in recent presidential elections, they are still out-numbered by self-identified conservatives. Playing only base politics is a dangerous game.

While neither party can write off moderate voters, Democrats need them more than Republicans do. Table 2 shows that in the years when Democrats have won the presidency, they’ve done so by winning more than 55% of the moderate vote.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgo...tfrombrookings

Old 08-03-2019, 01:48 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Obama = bend over position !!! AOC = wide open position !!!

No wonder people like Trump !!! He stands up for America !!! America first, standing is a winner !!!

Old 08-03-2019, 02:15 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Obama = bend over position !!! AOC = wide open position !!!

No wonder people like Trump !!! He stands up for America !!! America first, standing is a winner !!!
When it was his time to stand up for America, Bone Spurs/Silver Spoon Donnie was busy getting STD's in his Manhattan penthouse. We know who Trump bends over for: Vlad and Kim.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Watching the debates was a disappointment for this liberal as attacking Obama and each other is not a winning strategy and if continued it will give trump the win. IMO the candidates should lay out thier plans if they achieve the Presidency and then let the people vote accordingly,thinking you are winning by trashing your running mate is the way trump works and has been quite successful for the man but id like to think Democrats are a different breed than trump and his zombie base.

Old 08-03-2019, 03:59 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
When it was his time to stand up for America, Bone Spurs/Silver Spoon Donnie was busy getting STD's in his Manhattan penthouse. We know who Trump bends over for: Vlad and Kim.
I don't like Trump either, but he provides enough truthful fodder overall without having to mislead people. The bolded is chronologically impossible. All of Trump's deferments and reclassifications re military service were between 1964 and 1972, the Vietnam War ended in 1975, and construction on Trump Tower (where his Manhattan penthouse is located) didn't start until 1979 and wasn't completed until 1983.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies