Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 05:54 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And yet, Barry Goldwater, a Republican who opposed the Civil Rights Act, had no problem winning the Deep South.
the guy who started the NAACP in Arizona.

obviously his vote against civil rights act was not rooted in racism.

Nixon had no problem winning the entire south in 1968. He won most of the states and he didn't run on segregation and racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 05:57 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
the guy who started the NAACP in Arizona.

obviously his vote against civil rights act was not rooted in racism.
I don't care why he wasn't for the Civil Rights Act. What matters to me is that he was against it. That is enough for me. It was enough for alot of Black voters, those who could vote. If you don't support the Civil Rights Act, you're against me, period. You stand as a threat to my survival.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I don't care why he wasn't for the Civil Rights Act. What matters to me is that he was against it. That is enough for me. It was enough for alot of Black voters, those who could vote. If you don't support the Civil Rights Act, you're against me, period. You stand as a threat to my survival.
that's fine, but hard to say he spoke for Republicans if he couldn't win Republicans across the country.

if it matters who voted against civil rights act, why don't you ever compolain about Al Gore's father and Robert Byrd and all the Democrat segregationists who didn't switch.

could be b/c you are a partisan Democrat.

why did Democrat voters nominate the son of a senator who filibustered the civil rights act in Al Gore. why wsan't that a dog whistle to white racists.

Democrats would go crazy if Republican voters did that.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
that's fine, but hard to say he spoke for Republicans if he couldn't win Republicans across the country.

if it matters who voted against civil rights act, why don't you ever compolain about Al Gore's father and Robert Byrd and all the Democrat segregationists who didn't switch.

could be b/c you are a partisan Democrat.
I haven't mentioned those men because they weren't running for President. Why don't you complain about those southern Republicans who didn't support the Civil Rights Act? For all I know you are a partisan Republican.

BTW, I've voted Republican in a Presidential election, in 2004.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
You must be responding to the wrong person.

I'm a Trump supporter and I posted this topic to show Biden's racism.
Yeah sorry, I pressed reply on the wrong post.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I haven't mentioned those men because they weren't running for President. Why don't you complain about those southern Republicans who didn't support the Civil Rights Act? For all I know you are a partisan Republican.

BTW, I've voted Republican in a Presidential election, in 2004.
I don't complain about it because I'm not obsessed with the past and my goal isn't to smear other people as racists. There were Republicans that were racist and others that pandered to racism in the south back then.

We are only talking about this because the left constantly accuses Republicans of racism and tries to associate us with the racist history of the Democrat party.

Also, you are assuming people voted for Goldwater because he was a racist but he was a fiscal conservative which had already become popular at that time in the south. It is not surprising to me fiscal conservatives would go for this guy over LBJ.

historically the racists like LBJ were fiscal liberals.

I'm sure some racists did vote for this guy in 1964 but racists no doubt voted for LBJ too given he had supported segregation in the past.

LBJ won some of the southern states that liberals say Nixon won with a racist strategy in 1968.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I don't complain about it because I'm not obsessed with the past and my goal isn't to smear other people as racists.

We are only talking about this because the left constantly accuses Republicans of racism and tries to associate us with the racist history of the Democrat party.

Also, you are assuming people voted for Goldwater because he was a racist but he was a fiscal conservative which had already become popular at that time in the south.
And yet, here you are, obsessing about Joe Biden.

I'll talk about my past all I want. I call racism where I see it.

I see many people on the right quick to say "liberals are the real racists". I also see some people on the right complaining about Black people. I've seen it here on CD. And I don't see more leftists associating Republicans with TODAY'S racism, not the Democrats of yesteryear.

Fiscal conservatism might have been popular in the South. Guess what else was popular? Being anti-civil rights. Barry Goldwater being against the Civil Rights Act was music to the ears of those who were against Blacks being able to vote. And with that in mind, many southerners supported Goldwater.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
And yet, here you are, obsessing about Joe Biden.

I'll talk about my past all I want. I call racism where I see it.

I see many people on the right quick to say "liberals are the real racists". I also see some people on the right complaining about Black people. I've seen it here on CD. And I don't see more leftists associating Republicans with TODAY'S racism, not the Democrats of yesteryear.

Fiscal conservatism might have been popular in the South. Guess what else was popular? Being anti-civil rights. Barry Goldwater being against the Civil Rights Act was music to the ears of those who were against Blacks being able to vote. And with that in mind, many southerners supported Goldwater.
I'm talking about Biden b/c he is the frontrunner in the Democratic party for the nomination and he and other liberals accuse GOP of racism.

Why wouldn't Republicans talk about this.

It is a current event discussion.

Goldwater wasn't the typical Republican b/c most Republicans did not vote against Civil Rights Act. That's why he had some support in 'deep south' states.

The 'deep south' states were the last states to flip to the GOP. GOP took the southern states with more transplants first which makes sense given other regions of the country were more Republican at the time.

if GOP was using a racist appeal, Nixon would have beat the Democrat / Dixiecrat George Wallace in the deep south states in 1968. Nixon won the southern states with more Republican transplants. Same thing with Einsenhower in the 1950s.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-10-2019 at 06:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about Biden b/c he is the frontrunner in the Democratic party for the nomination and he and other liberals accuse GOP of racism.

Why wouldn't Republicans talk about this.

It is a current event discussion.
Ok, he's the front runner. Yes, he's a hypocrite. However, this is why I think some conservatives want to talk about this. His hypocrisy is more of a smoke screen. The assumption is going to be "Blacks are going to support Joe Biden". In my opinion, there is a resentment towards Blacks because of how Black Americans vote. With such strong support for Trump, there is a concern of Trump being unseated from the Presidency. I don't think there is much concern about Black Americans, but rather, who Black Americans vote for. To me this is all about keeping Republicans in power.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, he's the front runner. Yes, he's a hypocrite. However, this is why I think some conservatives want to talk about this. His hypocrisy is more of a smoke screen. The assumption is going to be "Blacks are going to support Joe Biden". In my opinion, there is a resentment towards Blacks because of how Black Americans vote. With such strong support for Trump, there is a concern of Trump being unseated from the Presidency. I don't think there is much concern about Black Americans, but rather, who Black Americans vote for. To me this is all about keeping Republicans in power.
lol I don't have any resentment toward black people for how they vote, or any more than I have toward white people that vote Democrat.

it is black conservatives who get attacked for how they vote, by liberals.

you keep talking about black people like they are one person and this one person is a victim.

Most black people voted against Trump last election and he still won. So nothing i'm talking about is related to keeping Republicans in power. I like talking about Democrats saying racist things b/c they always accuse GOP of racism. I like to 'own the libs'. lol It's fun. Plus I enjoy talking about history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies