Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 08:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
One example is Sally Ride. Why would it matter that she was a lesbian? Sexuality has nothing to do with being an astronaut. I don’t get why it matters if someone if a member of the LGBTQ community if what they accomplished had nothing to do with that.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/11/u...rnd/index.html
It's identity politics. Sort of if the guys that I used to work with had announced they preferred blondes etc.

Just like communism was perceived to be a dead end 70 years after it's formal takeover of Russia, so will this. Canada is a mosaic, the US is a melting pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The entire K-12 curriculum can be absorbed by most people inside of 3-4 years, when you cut out the fluff, the editorials, the pandering to lowest common denominators, behavioral issues that waste time, etc. And none of it is especially hard to teach or help with, considering internet resources like online schools, home school teaching resources, etc.

If you started at age 5-6, by 8-9 you could easily have a kid pass the GED, satisfying Leviathan's dumbass standardization requirements, and then if arbitrary age brackets matter to you, that gives you 9-10 years before state approved "adulthood" to teach that kid anything and everything, letting them hit college light years ahead of the homogenized automatons the state run system is pumping out.

Think about a STEM career if Algebra is knocked out by age 8-9, and the next ten years you spend as much time on STEM subjects as the average parent of an athlete spends on their kid's chosen sport.

Want to know the real difference between an average kid and a gifted one? Reading books that nobody else wants to read. The average kid won't read those books unless a demand is placed on them, and the gifted kid will because they want to. That's it. Because in the end, all of the "smart guy" professions boil down to having read a bunch of books nobody else wants to read, and some guild or certifying org signing off that yeah, you read those books and retained enough of it to pass their test that day.

So send your kid to the state run crippling factory and let them shuffle around at 18 like the other cripples and hope they just figure out how to succeed in spite of your choices and the state's nonsense, or decide earlier to change the course and foster abilities almost everyone has inside and doesn't know about.

There's a reason the US gets crushed in academic measurements relative to an increasing number of countries. All these kids, and we take the entire right half of the bell curve and just cripple them back down to somewhere left of the median. Why? Because self-esteem, or social skills, or something.
Easy there, big fella. I agree with you. You said what the government uses 10 years for, could be taught in 3 or 4 years. I agree. That was close to the "some standard" to which I was referring (perhaps I should have elaborated more). I taught my son his first bit of algebraic processes when he was 6 (monomials, like what is x in 5x + 3 = 18, so still easy but, hey it's a step in the right direction). He also at 7, just chose to memorize, in order, the entire periodic table... I know 112 of 118 symbols, but not in number order.

Meanwhile his 2nd grade teacher barely touched single digit subtraction... so I agree with you more than you might expect.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My high school kids tells me that she doesn't think all the kids who identify as this or that are really this or that. She says gender bending is merely 'in'. I thought that was pretty astute of a 15 year old to figure out.
I think you that’s a lot of it. I also think some parents just love it so they can be one completely immersed in all the PC jargon and lifestyle.

The whole reason behind this curriculum change is to convince normal healthy straight kids that all this LGBT stuff is normal and it isn’t. It doesn’t mean that anyone has a right to bully or be rude but it’s not normal. The left wants to bring all this up in the schools to normalize abnormal behavior.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
For a rational individual, one can disagree with XXX, yet still be tolerant of XXX.
More than that, tolerance would not be possible without disagreement. The very notion of tolerance presupposes disagreement.

If social justice dictates we agree with everyone else's views, for fear of being labelled a bigot, there would be nothing to tolerate.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:05 AM

126 posts, read 49,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I think you that’s a lot of it. I also think some parents just love it so they can be one completely immersed in all the PC jargon and lifestyle.

The whole reason behind this curriculum change is to convince normal healthy straight kids that all this LGBT stuff is normal and it isn’t. It doesn’t mean that anyone has a right to bully or be rude but it’s not normal. The left wants to bring all this up in the schools to normalize abnormal behavior.

So what they are going to do when they study the history of civil rights movements in school? Are they going to obviate LGBTTQ contributions to civil rights? Are they going to study the Obergefell decision on equality in marriage or are they are going to obviate that too? What are they going to do when they go to college and these subjects are discussed in their social science and history courses? Is that going to be the first time they hear about this?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
As a parent, I would be furious.....

Because it would be disastrous for your child to be aware that homosexuals exist? I'm not following the outrage here.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because it would be disastrous for your child to be aware that homosexuals exist? I'm not following the outrage here.
Calling out some because of what they choose to do with the squishy parts of their body and praising as though that’s *why* they may have accomplished something is wrong. Conflating one group’s immutable qualities such as race with another group’s behavior does not serve our children well. It’s a false equivalency to draw analogies between the civil rights movement and the LGB demands for tolerance, uh, I mean acceptance, uh, I mean high praise (their demands keep changing) is not teaching our children anything other than to acquiesce to PC demands.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 PM

126 posts, read 49,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Calling out some because of what they choose to do with the squishy parts of their body and praising as though that’s *why* they may have accomplished something is wrong. Conflating one group’s immutable qualities such as race with another group’s behavior does not serve our children well. It’s a false equivalency to draw analogies between the civil rights movement and the LGB demands for tolerance, uh, I mean acceptance, uh, I mean high praise (their demands keep changing) is not teaching our children anything other than to acquiesce to PC demands.
The demands are for equality and rights and yes they are an important part of the civil rights movement. It is important to learn to learn about the contributions members of the community have brought to society. Just as it is important for girls to learn about women’s contributions (gender perspective education is also important). Just as it is for black or Latin kids to see themselves represented and have role models of people who look like them and have accomplished great things.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post

Ah. Pronoun rage. No one cares.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:44 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliampr View Post
Yes, it shows, I can tell. No problem. Any time here to help.
Touche!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies