Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 06:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 682,662 times

Advertisements

A referendum on the options now available would be the democratic thing to do if we want to get this sorted as it's about this one issue of brexit, a general election muddles Brexit with all sorts of other factors and tactical voting because of the electoral system.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:41 AM

27,532 posts, read 13,750,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Don't you wish the majority here ruled? Imagine the country without GWB and Trump!
I am not American and are not going to start lecturing the US on it's political system, the US can decide such issues itself., including the issue of electoral colleges.

However in terms of the UK, there needs to be an election as we are now ruled by a minority Government after the recent explusions.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-05-2019 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,612,465 times
with my limited understanding of British politics...

Britain being geographically smaller and having the "common wealth" as preferred trading partners with the backing of the English banking system developed, an infrastructure of factories and railroad a few decades before the US....

the English now rely heavily on international arms deals to help it out....

there is talk on the floor of bringing manufacturing back to England but this is never really explained how this will be accomplished with the global banking struce

Old 09-05-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
A referendum on the options now available would be the democratic thing to do if we want to get this sorted as it's about this one issue of brexit, a general election muddles Brexit with all sorts of other factors and tactical voting because of the electoral system.
A referendum is supported by some parties, and they will be able to make such policies in their electrion manifesto.

As for an extension past the 31st October, that would require agreement from all 27 EU countries., if even one country such as Malta says no, then we will leave the EU whether the British Parliament like it or not.

It is the Government that must negotiate with Brussels, Parliament has no mandate or power to negotiate, that is why you have to go the the Queen to ask to form a Government.

A minority Government in a hung parliament is a nonsense and can't govern properly which is why we now have chaos, and the only way forward is an election, and having an election after the 31st October, depends on the 27 EU members willingness to offer yet another extension. Something the French didn't want to do last time. It's also being suggested that the EU won't grant an extension without a general election.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-05-2019 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 07:05 AM

40,998 posts, read 49,426,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Don't you wish the majority here ruled? Imagine the country without GWB and Trump!
It does. 60% of the States voted for and elected Trump.

A clear majority of States.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:06 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,312,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It does. 60% of the States voted for and elected Trump.

A clear majority of States.
Ehhhh......

Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,735,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

there is talk on the floor of bringing manufacturing back to England but this is never really explained how this will be accomplished with the global banking struce
This is not unlike the American thing where many say they want manufacturing to come back....and, yet, if you ask these same people whether they want their children working on an assembly line, most would answer in the negative.

Nothing wrong with manufacturing. My parents owned a factory and I made stuff myself. But any new manufacturing is going to be so automated that it rarely adds much to "the people". Like many businesses, manufacturing is now largely the domain of the Big Guys and Toyota knows vastly better how to set up a plant than a startup or such.

Most new Manufacturing in the USA - and I suppose in UK also - is foreign owned. The US South is chock full of firms owned by Chinese, Japanese and even Saudi interests...let alone European firms.

I don't know why people are so excited about becoming "China's China".....that is, an advanced economy should move forward, not backwards.

But there is a nostalgia to it.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Britain being geographically smaller and having the "common wealth" as preferred trading partners with the backing of the English banking system developed, an infrastructure of factories and railroad a few decades before the US....

the English now rely heavily on international arms deals to help it out....

Britain was home to the industral revolition and the first industralised country in the world, and the country invented the train and railways, as well as a lot of infrastructure.

Manufacturing has declined in the UK, as it has in the US, whilst banking and finances is important to major global financial centres such as London, NYC, Tokyo etc.

The Commonwealth and more especially the Anglosphere countries have a good relationship with the UK and we would be looking to increase trade after leaving the EU, whilst cooperating in terms of good futurte trading relations with European countries.

Some hi-tech manufacturing and research such as science and pharma may further expand in the UK, however it's unlikely low level cheap manufacturing will return within the forseeable future, although thids may change as manufacturing becomes more automated.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,612,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Britain was home to the industral revolition and the first industralised country in the world, and the country invented the train and railways, as well as a lot of infrastructure.

Manufacturing has declined in the UK, as it has in the US, whilst banking and finances is important to major global financial centres such as London, NYC, Tokyo etc.

The Commonwealth and more especially the Anglosphere countries have a good relationship with the UK and we would be looking to increase trade after leaving the EU, whilst cooperating in terms of good futurte trading relations with European countries.

Some hi-tech manufacturing and research such as science and pharma may further expand in the UK, however it's unlikely low level cheap manufacturing will return within the forseeable future, although thids may change as manufacturing becomes more automated.

i have actually watched several documentaries on the history of British railroads lol...hundreds of ww2 books and documentaries...Winston Churchill is said to have turned too FDR during the war and told FDR that the US has in fact inherited the British empires role as world leader of free peoples...i can not help but wonder if the US need for Empire has created more dis-harmony than not...an Empire that many in the US deny even exists

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
i have actually watched several documentaries on the history of British railroads lol...hundreds of ww2 books and documentaries...Winston Churchill is said to have turned too FDR during the war and told FDR that the US has in fact inherited the British empires role as world leader of free peoples...i can not help but wonder if the US need for Empire has created more dis-harmony than not...an Empire that many in the US deny even exists
The US doesn't really have an Empire in the true sense, however it does have a large collection of overseas military bases and has had a very interventionist Foreign Policy since WW2.

FDR and Churchill were good frriends, the Roosevelt Memorial in London, demonstrates how well thought of Roosevelt was, ehilst there is also a statue of FDR and Churchill on a bench together on London's Bond Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies