Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 08:46 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,473 times

Advertisements

Why is there such an outrage when whites depict a person of color but nothing is ever said when rolls are reversed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Let's see - "face-darkening makeup" vs. "blackface or brownface", one is certainly more elegant verbiage than the other. We are talking about professional writers here, no?
LOL!

If that helps you deal with your cognitive dissonance, who am I to stop you.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
LOL!

If that helps you deal with your cognitive dissonance, who am I to stop you.

Hmmm, seems like it has regularly been called "brownface" and "blackface" when the incidents were addressed individually, so...…

Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 AM

934 posts, read 403,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That was hilarious!
Completely hilarious plus dude seems to have been hoisted on his own petard.

Tucker is overreaching in calling him a racist, though. He is right about the Lemon hipocrisy.

On the other hand, Lemon might have picked up the same vibe I did, and at that moment whatever was left of his integrity went out of the window. Justin looks to me like a friend with a huge closet he never came out of. I would definitely ask for and take his fashion advice.

Not saying he is gay, just saying that is the vibe I got. Either that or he would love to leave the boring presidency, Stepford family and go hang out with RuPaul. New crazy outfit every day plus you get paid for that. Again, not saying the dude is gay.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:52 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Tucker is misrepresenting Lemon's reaction.

Lemon's only positive about Trudeau -- it was refreshing to hear a political apologize for his inappropriate behavior.

Other than that - -he said it was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....to do the black/brown face.

But Carlson didn't want you to see the whole story -- just what he needed to spin for a sound bite on his show.

Lemon reiterated last night that he finds it a good thing to see a leader apologize for inappropriate actions but does not defend Trudeau's behavior.
Oh, please. Maybe stop making excuses for Don Lemon.

Don Lemon (and many people on the left including many posters here in this very forum) Tore Megyn Kelly Apart Just For Talking About Blackface, Megyn Kelly NEVER wore one. All she did was argue that sometimes blackface isn’t racist — sometimes it’s meant as a tribute, not an insult — and for that, she was pilloried, attacked, and eventually fired. The Left demanded Kelly’s head on a platter for defending exactly the thing that Trudeau actually did.

These are Don Lemon's exact words “Listen, I know Megyn," Lemon said. "Sometimes you say stupid things when you’re live, but I’m just gonna be honest. Megyn is 47 years old – she’s our age. There has never been a time in that 47 years that blackface has been acceptable.”

How come he didn't say "well, it is pretty cool that she apologized" and moved the heck on too?!

Please... Let's hold these people accountable, double standard is double standard. Own it.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Why is there such an outrage when whites depict a person of color but nothing is ever said when rolls are reversed?
Exactly.

On CBC Radio Toronto yesterday a 'brown' man (his term not mine) who said he was NOT a Trudeau supporter, but a conservative, said this whole fuss is ridiculous. The man said he has applied white make up many times when donning a costume -- most recently as Einstein -- white hair, white make up.

NOW -- honestly, meh --- we all know the historical use of black face and what it means to black people. You could argue it isn't the same.

Whatever -- the behavior was/is wrong. It does speak to racial ignorance in Canada and the USA. I would suggest that all have been in social situations where someone has used an accent to get a laugh......guess what -- that could be called racism. Do we see it as that all the time..no -- sometimes we see it as just playing around.

Maybe we need to pay better attention or maybe we need to lighten up......maybe a little of both.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

On CBC Radio Toronto yesterday a 'brown' man (his term not mine) who said he was NOT a Trudeau supporter, but a conservative, said this whole fuss is ridiculous. The man said he has applied white make up many times when donning a costume -- most recently as Einstein -- white hair, white make up.

NOW -- honestly, meh --- we all know the historical use of black face and what it means to black people. You could argue it isn't the same.

Whatever -- the behavior was/is wrong. It does speak to racial ignorance in Canada and the USA. I would suggest that all have been in social situations where someone has used an accent to get a laugh......guess what -- that could be called racism. Do we see it as that all the time..no -- sometimes we see it as just playing around.

Maybe we need to pay better attention or maybe we need to lighten up......maybe a little of both.
We can lighten up alright. You need to scold the people from the LEFT for taking this whole "racism" thing to a completely different level.

So meh indeed, eventually, people are going to treat you the exact way you treat them. If you are on moral high horse all the time, eventually, you are going to fall if you are not 100% perfect. lol You = general term, not you personally.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh, please. Maybe stop making excuses for Don Lemon.

Don Lemon (and many people on the left including many posters here in this very forum) Tore Megyn Kelly Apart Just For Talking About Blackface, Megyn Kelly NEVER wore one. All she did was argue that sometimes blackface isn’t racist — sometimes it’s meant as a tribute, not an insult — and for that, she was pilloried, attacked, and eventually fired. The Left demanded Kelly’s head on a platter for defending exactly the thing that Trudeau actually did.

These are Don Lemon's exact words “Listen, I know Megyn," Lemon said. "Sometimes you say stupid things when you’re live, but I’m just gonna be honest. Megyn is 47 years old – she’s our age. There has never been a time in that 47 years that blackface has been acceptable.”

How come he didn't say "well, it is pretty cool that she apologized" and moved the heck on too?!

Please... Let's hold these people accountable, double standard is double standing. Own it.
Because Megyn's aapology suggested that blackface was acceptable at one time. If Trudeau had done the same with his apology Lemon would have held him to the same standard.

Trudeau said that the behavior is/was wrong, unacceptable. He never suggested it was okay back in the day.

See how Carlson changed the narrative for you.

Lemon is full on biased and yes he made a big deal of the apology because he was implying Trump could never be humble and apologize.

But that's not saying Lemon was tolerant of Trudeau's black/brown face antics.

That's misrepresenting the story for Carlson to do his spin.

And if you can't admit that Carlson was spinning a tale for you -- YOU are naive -- not me.

Megyn Kelly's apology was apology for not realize that black face wasn't acceptable anymore.

That's not an apology.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Completely hilarious plus dude seems to have been hoisted on his own petard.

Tucker is overreaching in calling him a racist, though. He is right about the Lemon hipocrisy.

On the other hand, Lemon might have picked up the same vibe I did, and at that moment whatever was left of his integrity went out of the window. Justin looks to me like a friend with a huge closet he never came out of. I would definitely ask for and take his fashion advice.

Not saying he is gay, just saying that is the vibe I got. Either that or he would love to leave the boring presidency, Stepford family and go hang out with RuPaul. New crazy outfit every day plus you get paid for that. Again, not saying the dude is gay.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Because Megyn's aapology suggested that blackface was acceptable at one time. If Trudeau had done the same with his apology Lemon would have held him to the same standard.

Trudeau said that the behavior is/was wrong, unacceptable. He never suggested it was okay back in the day.

See how Carlson changed the narrative for you.

Lemon is full on biased and yes he made a big deal of the apology because he was implying Trump could never be humble and apologize.

But that's not saying Lemon was tolerant of Trudeau's black/brown face antics.

That's misrepresenting the story for Carlson to do his spin.

And if you can't admit that Carlson was spinning a tale for you -- YOU are naive -- not me.

Megyn Kelly's apology was apology for not realize that black face wasn't acceptable anymore.

That's not an apology.
So kelly's apology is not acceptable, Justin Trudeau's apology is totally cool

Double standard indeed. To me, an apology is an apology. Kelly realized that her comment could be insensitive and apologized profusely too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies