Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 01:12 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times

Advertisements

I'm not disturbed by the photo. He just looks stupid. And I am more annoyed that he felt the need to apologize for doing it.

If someone wants to paint their skin yellow in order to look like Mulan or Jackie Chan... so what? They would look like complete idiots, and that would be enough of a punishment. But I wouldn't be at all offended or to think them racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:15 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
He admits it’s not the first time he had done this.

No big deal. Just another Liberal White Supremacist.
He'd fit right in with the Democrats here in the US with their long, rich history of racism. Most recently the governor of VA, who is still in office.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^^So because Trudeau is a Woke, PC, SJW and OBVIOUSLY not racist then he gets a pass, or at least less flak than someone that's not WOKE and thus certainly a racist. Really?

So anyone that believes differently than these Far Leftists is automatically racist?
Yes. Context is everything.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:25 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
OMG, and I thought the 2nd and 3rd time were just made up. I have never known any one in my lifetime, personally, to put on black face. When, a Supposed Liberal, and Canada's Prime Minster does it, it is so wrong
A Prime Minister donning black face would be weird and highly wrong. He wasn't a Prime Minister then.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:27 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://time.com/5680759/justin-trud...ownface-photo/

And why didn’t this come
Out when he was first running? Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Only time I've had some respect for him. It was a costume. Big deal. He's got way bigger problems than this.
I am an American and don't particularly like Trudeau. I think he's a moron. However on this controversy I side with him. I don't like peoples' prior lives being dissected, particularly for matters involving political correctness. The Right's hypocrisy was satirized in the song Harper Valley PTA. The Left's hypocrisy here and in the situation involving the governor of Virginia, Ralph Northam apologizes for 'racist and offensive' costume. Very few live their lives as pure as driven snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZPBUu7Fro

Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
If Trudeau had continually supported policies that were clearly racist, then this would be the death of his career.

But given he's criticized and applauded for being so tolerant of diversity -- it's disturbing but easier for many to dismiss as his past.

He came out today and said clearly his privilege created blind spots -- DUH....and that message is important and he shouldn't be afraid to capitalize on it. That's what people of color have said for years, that white folks , even the ones who think they know better, are blind to some of the racist actions.

As I said before -- if this was the only controversy it would have little impact but given that there are two other issues that are more serious and timely, the package may be the end for Trudeau.

Right now -- Trudeau is down in the polls BUT the opposition doesn't have enough support for a majority and the actual distribution of seats may end up with a Trudeau minority govt.

Only 5 weeks to go. That's the thing, in Canada they don't spend years campaigning, Trudeau has to come out in front of this issue and do something NOW. Not likely he will be able to find something else to distract.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
As a dual citizen I can vote in the Canadian election. I don't like either of the major choices. Trudeau, for me, is the least HARMFUL, but perhaps the wackiest....and wacky is okay until it isn't.

10,535 posts, read 6,171,323 times
So I just read through 10 pages of this thread. The left criticizing the right, the right criticizing the left... 'they' this and 'they' that.
Barely anybody actually criticizing Trudeau.

Could it be that this might be a topic, that if we stopped the usual knee jerk reactions and blaming, we might actually find some common ground?

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If Trudeau had continually supported policies that were clearly racist, then this would be the death of his career.

But given he's criticized and applauded for being so tolerant of diversity -- it's disturbing but easier for many to dismiss as his past.

He came out today and said clearly his privilege created blind spots -- DUH....and that message is important and he shouldn't be afraid to capitalize on it. That's what people of color have said for years, that white folks , even the ones who think they know better, are blind to some of the racist actions.

As I said before -- if this was the only controversy it would have little impact but given that there are two other issues that are more serious and timely, the package may be the end for Trudeau.

Right now -- Trudeau is down in the polls BUT the opposition doesn't have enough support for a majority and the actual distribution of seats may end up with a Trudeau minority govt.

Only 5 weeks to go. That's the thing, in Canada they don't spend years campaigning, Trudeau has to come out in front of this issue and do something NOW. Not likely he will be able to find something else to distract.
And once again the goal post keeps moving.

But....but....but....

I'll repeat my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Whatever happened to holding our elected officials to a higher standard?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/54385591-post32.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill
Second thread on this.

Whether or not Behar sees consequences is not comparable to an elected official situation.

It just isn't.

We should hold our elected officials to a higher standard than a comedien.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
As much as I am not a fan of him, my thought is "so what".

Some people need to get over themselves, if you are offended by this ridiculous stuff, well, too bad, and I do not think such people should be pandered to.

The outrage, hostility, and attempts at ostracizing over such things is ridiculous. In this case, this stuff, as trivial as it is, happened almost 20 years ago.

Reminds me what I read the other day, I forget which media outlet, that they call this the "cancel culture", as in people are now combing through other people's lives and looking for even the most trivial event to make a giant ordeal out of, and that one event cancels out basically every accomplishment in the person's life, no matter how long ago it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies