Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Time after time I simply read in disgust as one Republican right-wing zealot Evangelical Christian after another heralds our nation as being "better" and "superior" to all other nations. They brag about how literate we are, how advanced we are, how patriotic we all are, etc., yet when it comes to same-sex rights, which is a no-brainer in most other industrialized nations, the United States continues to showcase just how classless it really is.

In this photo, the purple nations have legalized same-sex marriage. They include:
  • Belgium
  • Spain
  • The Netherlands

This is in addition to Canada and South Africa, which have also legalized same-sex marriage.

The blue nations have legalized same-sex civil unions and equal registered partnerships. They include:
  • Andorra
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Luxembourg
  • Norway
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

This is in addition to New Zealand and Uruguay.

The yellow nations are currently taking this issue into political consideration. The orange nations, such as ours, have no constitutional bans on same-sex rights but only because they have not been brought as of yet to the forefrunt for debate.

Finally, the red nations are those who have passed legislation to ban same-sex marriages and civil unions. They include:
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Yugoslavia

In addition, of course, to the United States, in which no formal legislation banning same-sex marriage has been drafted as of yet, but where a majority of citizens seem to support one. In other words, we're on an even intellectual keel with Yugoslavians. That's really good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
It's actually Serbia but I get your point and agree with it.

The sad thing is that this country isn't even the economic leader anymore. Our per capita GDP is falling while for most in Europe it is rising. We used to be the highest in the world. Now we are around 10 depending on the ranking.

But look around. If you travel to some European countries they have history but they also have high tech transport and communications. Their infrastructure is more modern and better maintained. They have better health care systems and their people live longer than here in the US.

We are falling victim to the common problem of many empires. We spend our money overseas, fighting wars and whatnot while the home front suffers. Eventually the house of cards will collapse and we'll have to pick up the pieces. Happened to Russia, happened to the UK, happened to France and it will happen here. Sad we don't learn from history.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:08 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
same sex marriages are now the bell weather for "socially advanced"

LMMFAO

All those funny little numbers you found are hilarious, im dying over here

Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,815 times
Unsubstantiated garbage. If I had any respect for your opinion (which you seem to want to pass of as true fact ad nauseum on this forum) I'd counter every one of your points with my own equal (at least) and opposite opinion

Get over yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

The sad thing is that this country isn't even the economic leader anymore. Our per capita GDP is falling while for most in Europe it is rising. We used to be the highest in the world. Now we are around 10 depending on the ranking.

But look around. If you travel to some European countries they have history but they also have high tech transport and communications. Their infrastructure is more modern and better maintained. They have better health care systems and their people live longer than here in the US.

We are falling victim to the common problem of many empires. We spend our money overseas, fighting wars and whatnot while the home front suffers. Eventually the house of cards will collapse and we'll have to pick up the pieces. Happened to Russia, happened to the UK, happened to France and it will happen here. Sad we don't learn from history.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Unsubstantiated garbage. If I had any respect for your opinion (which you seem to want to pass of as true fact ad nauseum on this forum) I'd counter every one of your points with my own equal (at least) and opposite opinion

Get over yourself
Hah, hah.

Here are some numbers for you:
Human Development Index
Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GDP per Capita
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quality of Life Index
Quality-of-life index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or you can just keep watching your Fox News and waving your flag. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
same sex marriages are now the bell weather for "socially advanced"

LMMFAO

All those funny little numbers you found are hilarious, im dying over here
What numbers? MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 04-26-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 12:39 PM

793 posts, read 2,214,107 times
what about Green, what does that mean?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

I can't argue with any of this....pretty much "on the mark" as I see it. Americans are human beings, just like any other people....and human beings, uniquely among all creatures, have the peculiar ability to witness, and even foresee their own demise...but apparently, are powerless to do anything to avert it.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
I see what you're saying, but lets not forget that there are some countries where a person can be executed for being gay. The US is not a terrible place for a gay person by any means, I know.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Time after time I simply read in disgust as one Republican right-wing zealot Evangelical Christian after another heralds our nation as being "better" and "superior" to all other nations. They brag about how literate we are, how advanced we are, how patriotic we all are, etc., yet when it comes to same-sex rights, which is a no-brainer in most other industrialized nations, the United States continues to showcase just how classless it really is.

In this photo, the purple nations have legalized same-sex marriage. They include:
  • Belgium
  • Spain
  • The Netherlands
This is in addition to Canada and South Africa, which have also legalized same-sex marriage.

The blue nations have legalized same-sex civil unions and equal registered partnerships. They include:
  • Andorra
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Luxembourg
  • Norway
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
This is in addition to New Zealand and Uruguay.

The yellow nations are currently taking this issue into political consideration. The orange nations, such as ours, have no constitutional bans on same-sex rights but only because they have not been brought as of yet to the forefrunt for debate.

Finally, the red nations are those who have passed legislation to ban same-sex marriages and civil unions. They include:
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Yugoslavia
In addition, of course, to the United States, in which no formal legislation banning same-sex marriage has been drafted as of yet, but where a majority of citizens seem to support one. In other words, we're on an even intellectual keel with Yugoslavians. That's really good to know.
And I get equally annoyed with every elitist liberal demanding we become a communist society.

I guess we're both just a couple of annoyed people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies