Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,257 times

Advertisements

It would be a non event for me - absolutely no issue at all.
If it were a son, I would be having discussions about safe sex every five minutes, just as if it were a straight boy or girl.
Lesbians tend to have very safe sex and neither gays or lesbians are likely to have unplanned pregancy issues.

In fact, it's sounding better and better - I would be positively delighted! : )

Why would someone be disappointed? I don't understand that. Why?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I would shun them, perhaps disown them. I'd send them to a shrink and perhaps a conversion center, have the living daylights electrocuted out of them to make sure they change into normal people. I'd give them every reason to want to change, damnit! What shame they would bring on the family! What my neighbor and coworkers say is far more important to me than the silly kid's happiness. When I have my kids it will be to make me feel better, to accessorize my life and damnit if they ruin my effort for a perfect family and don't fit into my set of goals for them and superstitions about life.
Folks, this isn't a serious response, so don't get up in arms about it!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,617 times
I will always love my son no matter what but I won't lie either. I'd probably freak out if he told me he is gay. I'd get over it but it'd take some time to adjust to. And I'd make sure he understood how important it is to protect himself. It's so hard to think hypothetically. I will always love him and would accept him b/c it wouldn't change the fact that he is my son.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
As far as I'm concerned, nothing would change. I would still have expectations of them to have meaningful monogamous relationships as oppossed to a series of one night stands, I would want them to marry a man/woman who is smart, funny, a good provider, kind, loving, giving, ironically enough 'straight' as in no drugs......basically I want for my children a love that will transform their lives for the better, and a spouse that will treat them like the wonderful human beings that they are.
Period.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
I would be relieved.

It would mean that there was less chance that she was going to bring any grandchildren around.

I barely survived her childhood and I have no desire to repeat it with any kids she might have.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I'm waiting for a good friend's son to tell his parents he is gay. I am certain they will be distressed but also certain they will not disown him.

The post by twilomike is about a self centered and mean as I have ever read. Being more worried about you own status and pride instead of you son's happiness is really pitiful.
I have a neighbor with a 6 year old son who seems obviously gay. I've never asked his parents if they suspect it, but when a 6 year old boy tells you he thinks his new furry boots are "so yummy", well, you get the picture!

Even my parents admitted they suspected I was gay as a child. I think parents usually know anyway. As a soon to be gay parent, I won't assume my boys are straight or gay, but rather look for signs. Chances are overwhelming that they'll be straight, and I hope they are. But if one of them is gay, I'll know way before he does, and obviously be very supportive.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I would be relieved.

It would mean that there was less chance that she was going to bring any grandchildren around.

I barely survived her childhood and I have no desire to repeat it with any kids she might have.

You're too funny I joked that if we had girls (twins turned out to be boys) that we were raising them lesbian. I didn't want to deal with the whole princess thing, fighting over slutty clothes in grade school, worrying about teen pregnancy, etc. Plus they could help with yard work, work on my car, and I could watch them play sports! Lesbians are fun.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
I'd be honoured that she'd feel comfortable enough to tell me such a thing. It's not an issue. If my daughter were a lesbian, I'd embrace her the same as I just did. Sexual preference doesn't change the fact that I'm her father and I love her.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM

413 posts, read 782,822 times
In France, we say homosexuality is not a problem, as long as it's not in your family. :-)
My position is neutrality.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

269 posts, read 812,232 times
I wouldn't care. Matter of fact, I have 3 gay cousins (maybe 4? But then again, I have about 50 cousins... no joke) So I guess it does run in the family.

Short story... My cousin came out when he was about 14 or 15 to his father who had at that time been pretty outgoing in the church. His father pretty much disowned him due to religious beliefs... the whole ignoring him bit and all. It was sad since he was only 14 or 15, and his twin brother got all his dad's attention after that happened. I haven't heard what's gone on recently, but last I heard a couple years ago, his twin brother "may" be gay as well. (sigh) I feel real bad for him (them). Their father was absolutely wrong about the whole situation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies