Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 06:27 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

tomocox- pre iraq- marching for peace elsewhere (ny?) got violent- bit of a misnomer. grounded in truth of cause, people stick together. stray from that cause, it has less credibility. Spending energy on solutions is better use of energy than protest IMO, but I thank you for letting our govt know I disagree with war as well.
Back to thread relation- the mistakes of others are something we all need to learn from, and as it pertains to black community, mimicking people who have abused you drags you to their level.
Its like child abuse getting carried on to next generation justified because your daddy did it. New child is born, they deserve everything you didn't get (and I don't mean materialism). Who better than the son of a drunk knows not to pick up liquor? We don't choose what we were born into, but for our own lives we can say not on my watch. Not for the things that are in my control. Accept racism? Not anymore than I've had to accept sexism. Not anymore than my grandfather did being banned from the library due to religion.
Time spent measuring precisely what is in your way and focusing efforts on how to get over it, under it, around it, whatever which way, is going to pay off more than defeatist attitudes. Someday, racists will come looking for a job and have to rethink a few things.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
miss shona, had you been actually paying attention to anything beyond your own myopic view of the world, you'd know how I feel about bush. Too busy selling again I see. Miss mrs mr oblivious?

You've proven yourself to be conniving, presumptuous and hostile already, which means your input has been devalued to the status of mental patient on a soapbox in times square of any other racist. It means you arent willing to be equal. You've found it far more profitable to engage in discrimination of your own version, and misrepresent what real talent and merit is about. You are not welcome in my home. What a shame to waste intelligence on narcisism. NAACP should rethink its investment in BS. A mind is truly a horrible thing to waste.
Hmmmm...I feel you are projecting maybe? How am I "myopic" when I am deeply involved with professional and informal exchange and education between all ethnicities? (I am not going to repeat how...I've said it time and time again). In addition to that, I did not just assume these roles...but I was placed into them by people who felt that I had the most suitable background and experience to deal with cross-cultural and intercultural issues. Really...I think either you are delusional...or just unable to get a good grasp on proper reading comprehension.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
YOU ARE WRONG!!! It's not the Republicans who keep people down, because Republicans are typically business people who understand that it means less money where there is less money. Republicans believe in teaching people to fish, not handing them a dead one.

The true racists are those who sell long underwear to people who live in the tropics because once in their lifetime it might snow on the equator.
Well I assure you that the teach a man to fish (or rather, teach/help a minority to help himself) aren't the kind of Republicans that exist in Kentucky or anywhere around that region. You're probably referring to the Republicans who live in urban cities on the west coast.

And don't think the East Coast democrats are all racially accepting, because I can assure you that the Northeast Democrats are mostly covertly racist elitists who would rather believe that all blacks are gangsters, rappers, and jailbaits than to see (and much less accept and welcome) blacks who actually take self responsibility and are hard-working, successful citizens.

Let's see how the covert racist Yanks NOT respond to this, like they do to every single post that I call them out.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I think there is an increasing number of blacks who are doing well, just not enough to yet offset those who aren't. By the same token there are plenty of whites who are genuinely accepting and supportive, just not enough to offset those who are racially prejudiced. Warms my heart to think of the family that is the Kennedys. These are Irish-Americans. Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama early through the NYTimes, a paper that surprisingly was short-sighted enough to endorse Hillary. Then Ted Kennedy, a champion of civil rights his entire life and an extraordinary person, endorsed Obama. Ted Kennedy, diagnosed with a terminal disease, and by most optimistic medical opinions, not expected to last another 12 months, fights on. Not only does he fight to tend to those matters most critical to him, his family, and those matters he holds most dear, but he is determined to fight for the ideas that he believes, those reflected in his support for Obama, a black man. Many like the Kennedys exist, just not enough to offset those who are his opposite.

The question really is: In light of the racial prejudices that exist in this country to the detriment of black people, what the hell are black people doing to lift themselves from the bottom? To what extent are blacks embracing high academic achievement? To what extent are blacks taking care of their own, respecting themselves, their ancestors, their women, their children. Stakes are high. There is no room to spend generation after generation celebrating and perpetuating ignorance. We live in a global economy now, and education is paramount. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the lack of emphasis on education. Obtaining PhDs and Masters degrees in fields like law, medicine, sciences, math, engineering should be the goal of each and every black person. This is not happening and until it does, we will always have an underclass of people who perpetuate ignorance.

Throughout my life, some of the most brilliant, most naturally gifted people that I have ever known have been black people. Great potential there, but without a sense of self-reliance, self-motivation, loyalty to do what is high and noble, obsession with high academic achievement, and an emphasis on integrity, this potential will always fall short. Quite a shame IMO.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 PM

Maybe they're just telling you IT IS YOU WHO ARE RACIST.
I know you don't want to believe it, or see it for yourself. It's beyond your comprehension that kids could grow up and have zero issues going on amongst each other until adults insist their garbage upon them. I know you don't want to believe its you. It's somebody else... the mysterious 3rd party. Like aliens... spooookyy.

At what point can you and missdenial get yourselves off faux intellectual crack justifying garbage? At what point can you try to remember what it was when human beings were just human beings, and actually build something real, if for no other reason than the sake of your kids? What have you built? Where did you spend your life energy so far?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think there is an increasing number of blacks who are doing well, just not enough to yet offset those who aren't. By the same token there are plenty of whites who are genuinely accepting and supportive, just not enough to offset those who are racially prejudiced. Warms my heart to think of the family that is the Kennedys. These are Irish-Americans. Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama early through the NYTimes, a paper that surprisingly was short-sighted enough to endorse Hillary. Then Ted Kennedy, a champion of civil rights his entire life and an extraordinary person, endorsed Obama. Ted Kennedy, diagnosed with a terminal disease, and by most optimistic medical opinions, not expected to last another 12 months, fights on. Not only does he fight to tend to those matters most critical to him, his family, and those matters he holds most dear, but he is determined to fight for the ideas that he believes, those reflected in his support for Obama, a black man. Many like the Kennedys exist, just not enough to offset those who are his opposite.

The question really is: In light of the racial prejudices that exist in this country to the detriment of black people, what the hell are black people doing to lift themselves from the bottom? To what extent are blacks embracing high academic achievement? To what extent are blacks taking care of their own, respecting themselves, their ancestors, their women, their children. Stakes are high. There is no room to spend generation after generation celebrating and perpetuating ignorance. We live in a global economy now, and education is paramount. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the lack of emphasis on education. Obtaining PhDs and Masters degrees in fields like law, medicine, sciences, math, engineering should be the goal of each and every black person. This is not happening and until it does, we will always have an underclass of people who perpetuate ignorance.

Throughout my life, some of the most brilliant, most naturally gifted people that I have ever known have been black people. Great potential there, but without a sense of self-reliance, self-motivation, loyalty to do what is high and noble, obsession with high academic achievement, and an emphasis on integrity, this potential will always fall short. Quite a shame IMO.
Great post; you are absolutely right. The Black community does need to encourage and promote education more -- grill it into the heads of Black American youth that while it is not a guarantee...education is the best tool you have to rise up out of poverty. Almost as if it is "do or die" (and not be afraid to go into debt over education...which is a big fear in the Black community)....just like the Jewish community did with their youth through impossible times. Just like many in the Black community push talented athletes. However, if you look at how talented Black athletes are treated...not only do they get support and encouragement from the Black community...but from the outside community as well.

When you have a very good Black athlete...he can go to the worst of schools...live in the worst of neighborhoods. Yet coaches from all over the country will come on a "recruiting visit". They will send text messages (NCAA rules may have changed this as recently as last year, however) to these kids. They will offer assistance and "tips" on how to pass their classes in school. Then there are the scholarships. The application and financial aid process is handled no problem for them. They lay out the red carpet basically and "usher" them into their colleges.

Now I know that college sports is a very lucrative business...so I am not realistically suggesting that the same be done to academically gifted Black students. However, if you could imagine that...the perfect scenario...smart Black youth would get the same royal treatment that talented Black athletes get. However, it demonstrates that the Black community still needs those who are outside of that community to aid in that success. Sure there are Black colleges that they can attend. And it is not incumbent for every White person to feel the need to help or be made to feel guilty for not helping. It's just that it takes more than just us...since we do not control this American society....we alone cannot master the game.

Shame on those Black parents who do not place the emphasis on education and instill that value into their children. But there are many that do. The silent disappointment is when a Black child chooses to focus on academics instead of sports...and does well. But still finds a tough time due to lack of finances and lack of guidance (it's one thing to tell your children that education is important...but if you are not educated yourself, it's hard to guide them on how to get that done). I was in this situation when I was young. I played no sports...graduated in the top 5% in the class of 423; did music and dance and extracurriculars. I was the first to deal with college applications and loans...and my parents couldn't help me. I made a lot of mistakes along the way. A lot of expensive mistakes that would make any lower-income family cringe. You go to a family that doesn't own property and nets 30K/yr in income and say "oh, borrow 50K per child for college"...and yes it is that much even at public schools depending on where you live....you need room & board...or you need a car to commute (where is the money to get a car)?

I realize a lot of White people also go through this...and fall through the cracks as well. So maybe the same message should be toted throughout the trailer parks of the US as well..."What are you doing to improve your life? Why are you not educating yourselves?" However, if they have the drive, they can go out and express their desires and find someone to take them under their wing. A mentor; and ally; someone that can see the seeds of success and nurture that. Black people have a lot less wings to run under...especially if they have to pick out the wings that are the same color as theirs...that knocks out 87% of the available wings!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Of course, you did throw in your "but we're not able to do that because...." excuse.
I knew it would be coming.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Default pity party junkies are the last to linger

Chiel the only input you'll get on this thread at this point are people who will continue to delude themselves with desperate excuses like any other seasoned junkie. They really need to believe its all coming from outside, when the enabling mechanism is inside.

Screaming at the weather never made it quit snowing. Evil cannot be eradicated, only guarded against. Fight evil with evil, you become what you hate and live in self created hell. There's obamas church spewing hatred in the name of jesus christ, then playing slickster having supporters painting hillary with KKK robes. Martin Luther King jr should be rolling in his grave about now. So much for content of character. Y'all want to call him a sucker with the example you set? You're not fit to be dirt on his foot.

MEANWHILE... the real perpetrators sit on the sidelines snickering with glee at their failures. You thought you won, but lost more than you could ever imagine.

"Youth ages, immaturity outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever."
~Aristophanes

Old 06-07-2008, 12:40 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Great post; you are absolutely right. The Black community does need to encourage and promote education more -- grill it into the heads of Black American youth that while it is not a guarantee...education is the best tool you have to rise up out of poverty. Almost as if it is "do or die" (and not be afraid to go into debt over education...which is a big fear in the Black community)....just like the Jewish community did with their youth through impossible times. Just like many in the Black community push talented athletes. However, if you look at how talented Black athletes are treated...not only do they get support and encouragement from the Black community...but from the outside community as well.

When you have a very good Black athlete...he can go to the worst of schools...live in the worst of neighborhoods. Yet coaches from all over the country will come on a "recruiting visit". They will send text messages (NCAA rules may have changed this as recently as last year, however) to these kids. They will offer assistance and "tips" on how to pass their classes in school. Then there are the scholarships. The application and financial aid process is handled no problem for them. They lay out the red carpet basically and "usher" them into their colleges.

Now I know that college sports is a very lucrative business...so I am not realistically suggesting that the same be done to academically gifted Black students. However, if you could imagine that...the perfect scenario...smart Black youth would get the same royal treatment that talented Black athletes get. However, it demonstrates that the Black community still needs those who are outside of that community to aid in that success. Sure there are Black colleges that they can attend. And it is not incumbent for every White person to feel the need to help or be made to feel guilty for not helping. It's just that it takes more than just us...since we do not control this American society....we alone cannot master the game.

Shame on those Black parents who do not place the emphasis on education and instill that value into their children. But there are many that do. The silent disappointment is when a Black child chooses to focus on academics instead of sports...and does well. But still finds a tough time due to lack of finances and lack of guidance (it's one thing to tell your children that education is important...but if you are not educated yourself, it's hard to guide them on how to get that done). I was in this situation when I was young. I played no sports...graduated in the top 5% in the class of 423; did music and dance and extracurriculars. I was the first to deal with college applications and loans...and my parents couldn't help me. I made a lot of mistakes along the way. A lot of expensive mistakes that would make any lower-income family cringe. You go to a family that doesn't own property and nets 30K/yr in income and say "oh, borrow 50K per child for college"...and yes it is that much even at public schools depending on where you live....you need room & board...or you need a car to commute (where is the money to get a car)?

I realize a lot of White people also go through this...and fall through the cracks as well. So maybe the same message should be toted throughout the trailer parks of the US as well..."What are you doing to improve your life? Why are you not educating yourselves?" However, if they have the drive, they can go out and express their desires and find someone to take them under their wing. A mentor; and ally; someone that can see the seeds of success and nurture that. Black people have a lot less wings to run under...especially if they have to pick out the wings that are the same color as theirs...that knocks out 87% of the available wings!
In addition to a support system by the elderly, a pro-intellectual mentality needs to be promoted among the black youth as well. Believe it or not, during the teen years, one's peers become more influential than one's parents. And we already know what that usually does in the black community. So instead of the gangsters and dumba$$es being praised, black youth really need to rally behind their intellectuals and even those who just plainly work their butts off (athletes can still be revered; they're praised in every racial group). This especially need to be done by young black teen girls. Take example the Asian community. I can't count the number of times where an Asian dude who is either studying, or just having the appearance of a "geek" or "nerd" is in the company of at least one hot Asian girl in a way that indicates that they're either dating or at least "hooking up" frequently. This is something that is critically needed at a time like this in the black community if they hope to encourage intellectualism AND keep them from straying away from the community once they make it.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
In addition to a support system by the elderly, a pro-intellectual mentality needs to be promoted among the black youth as well. Believe it or not, during the teen years, one's peers become more influential than one's parents. And we already know what that usually does in the black community. So instead of the gangsters and dumba$$es being praised, black youth really need to rally behind their intellectuals and even those who just plainly work their butts off (athletes can still be revered; they're praised in every racial group). This especially need to be done by young black teen girls. Take example the Asian community. I can't count the number of times where an Asian dude who is either studying, or just having the appearance of a "geek" or "nerd" is in the company of at least one hot Asian girl in a way that indicates that they're either dating or at least "hooking up" frequently. This is something that is critically needed at a time like this in the black community if they hope to encourage intellectualism AND keep them from straying away from the community once they make it.

As the mother of three boys, I've always done the best that I can to implant the importance of education in the heads of my boys. Although as a parent I can only do my best, it is the friends that they sometimes tend to keep that tends to make or break the desire to learn. With one of my sons, very smart and intelligent boy, his friends were more important than education. In that, he "unofficially dropped out of school". I was hurt and devastated but realized that he needed to get away from certain influences. I worried every night when he didn't come home, and on several occasions, had received calls that he and his friends were being searched by the police. Well after having enough of the nonsense, I picked up and moved my son away from those so called "friends" (even though it really is up to the child to choose his or her friends". Nevertheless, the move was the best thing that I could have done, I moved him away from those friends, he returned to school, graduated and is now doing very good in college. The key point of this story is that had I not moved, I would never have known that my son was secretly trying to get away from those friends, but the pressure was too much and he did not know how to drop their friendship. When we moved, he told them t hat we were moving out of state and has completely shut off communication with those boyse; one of which I later found out was a gang banger. What is the word on those so called "friends"? One is in jail and he found out from a source that they were trying to set him up (get him involved in a felony and lay the blame on him).
What I am trying to say is this, we as parents sometimes need to make sacrafices for our children and remove them out of certain environments, we need to set the example; even if you find it hard to move and pay the extra for rent, a second job, and cut backs is worth the extra $200-$300 dollars a month just for your child's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies