Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Whites will take you seriously when you start taking yourself seriously.
This is why I don't discuss issues regarding the successes or failures of the African American community in open forums.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 AM

877 posts, read 2,769,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is why I don't discuss issues regarding the successes or failures of the African American community in open forums.
I hear you. I was thinking about answering a post and then decided not to. It would make no difference and I doubt that my response would be understood in the manner it was intended but instead it would give someone another opportunity to try and degrade the Black community in order to make themselves feel superior. One thing that I will say is that I had no idea of how people truly thought about things prior to coming to CD and reading people's post from all over the country. It has been an eye-opening experience.

Last edited by drkman; 03-12-2009 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 06:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I hear you.
On parting comment. Before moving to the Philly from another state, I bought a home in a neighborhood undergoing re-gentrification. One upstanding member of the Euro-American community threatened the realtor for selling me the house, another wouldn't speak until a couple of years later when he walked up to me apologizing for his behavior after noting that my lawn was one of the nicest in the neighborhood.

Now I didn't keep up by lawn and garden in the hopes that some Euro-American would think that i was worthy of being taken seriously, I like a nice garden and lawn. so when some Euro-American suggests that I should do something so that they will take me seriously, my first instinct is to tell them that they can take their "seriousness" and up it where the sun don't shine.

Those African Americans who need to take care of business, need to take care of business for their own sense of self-worth, Euro-Americans be damned. Because you see the cracker who had the temerity to apologize to me because my lawn looked so nice had the worst lawn, all kind of crap in his yard and one of the worst looking houses on the block. In short, there have always been Euro-Americans who have made demands of black folk that they themselves seem oh so incapable of achieving. But that never seems to stop them from demanding excellence from people of color.

All of this reminds me of a comment that Malcolm once made.

"I'm not going to listen to you on how to take your foot off of my neck!"

Speaking of which, OP you want to help black folks, give them a copy of Malcolm's autobiography and tapes of his speeches.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,562 times
Quote:
On parting comment. Before moving to the Philly from another state, I bought a home in a neighborhood undergoing re-gentrification. One upstanding member of the Euro-American community threatened the realtor for selling me the house, another wouldn't speak until a couple of years later when he walked up to me apologizing for his behavior after noting that my lawn was one of the nicest in the neighborhood.

Now I didn't keep up by lawn and garden in the hopes that some Euro-American would think that i was worthy of being taken seriously, I like a nice garden and lawn. so when some Euro-American suggests that I should do something so that they will take me seriously, my first instinct is to tell them that they can take their "seriousness" and up it where the sun don't shine.

Those African Americans who need to take care of business, need to take care of business for their own sense of self-worth, Euro-Americans be damned. Because you see the cracker who had the temerity to apologize to me because my lawn looked so nice had the worst lawn, all kind of crap in his yard and one of the worst looking houses on the block. In short, there have always been Euro-Americans who have made demands of black folk that they themselves seem oh so incapable of achieving. But that never seems to stop them from demanding excellence from people of color.

All of this reminds me of a comment that Malcolm once made.

"I'm not going to listen to you on how to take your foot off of my neck!"

Speaking of which, OP you want to help black folks, give them a copy of Malcolm's autobiography and tapes of his speeches.

Your experience sounds similar to something I went through at work. It seems that these sort of things usually happen with people who are older and uneducated, who really don't know how to think for themselves. I think this is the case for some of the CD posters in this thread. Just like your neighbor who you had the problem with, it probably killed him inside that all of the stuff he thought and all of the stuff his friends told him about having a black neighbor were untrue. At least he did make an effort to correct his thinking.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Did you have an opinion, or did you just not like my answer.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,314,256 times
I hate to say this but African American culture is the reason for failure. Most African Americans who are successful today are those who have chosen to educate themselves, speak proper English and act "normal". The ones who are not successful are always the ones that have attitudes, talk loud, act stupid and always complain about racism and/or go out of their way to prove their "blackness". It goes back to the whole concept of "survival of the fittest", those who are better adapted for the immediate, local environment will have a much greater chance of being successful.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Your experience sounds similar to something I went through at work. It seems that these sort of things usually happen with people who are older and uneducated, who really don't know how to think for themselves. I think this is the case for some of the CD posters in this thread. Just like your neighbor who you had the problem with, it probably killed him inside that all of the stuff he thought and all of the stuff his friends told him about having a black neighbor were untrue. At least he did make an effort to correct his thinking.

And after asking for honest opinion, you go right back to blaming whites. Is it even possible for you to understand how tiring it is for whites after so many years of being slandered to still get get all the blame for black problems?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I hate to say this but African American culture is the reason for failure. Most African Americans who are successful today are those who have chosen to educate themselves, speak proper English and act "normal". The ones who are not successful are always the ones that have attitudes, talk loud, act stupid and always complain about racism and/or go out of their way to prove their "blackness". It goes back to the whole concept of "survival of the fittest", those who are better adapted for the immediate, local environment will have a much greater chance of being successful.
OK, assuming you're white, Don't you just get so sick and tired of having all of black America's problems being caused by racist whites? Don't get tired of having to bite your tongue at work so you don't get sued for saying something honest about black America?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
And after asking for honest opinion, you go right back to blaming whites. Is it even possible for you to understand how tiring it is for whites after so many years of being slandered to still get get all the blame for black problems?

Pleasee show me in my post that I was blaming whites? You may want to think that is what I said and what I meant but sorry, its not true. Your deep down thinking may want to ignore what I said and turn it into what you really think but that is not what I said. This is not suprising from seeing some of your previous posts.

If you choose to believe that I was blaming whites for anything probably says more about you and your thinking than you are choosing to admit.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 AM

537 posts, read 292,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Yes. Take our President, they keep addressing the fact that he is African-American. However, people forget that his mother was white and that he was raised by his maternal grandmother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies