Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:53 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,647,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wait. That's the whole POINT of the black rectangle on social media.

Whites standing down, being silent, so people of color's voice will be heard instead of drowned out.

The silence on social media was started in SUPPORT of people of color.
Interesting. I took it to mean "Look at how woke I am!" Certainly, the people I know who did the black rectangle thing have come off sounding like that in their posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 09:56 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
I think a lot of y’all are missing the point. First let me point out I don’t say zilch politically on any of my real social media I.e attached to my real name with my real pictures on them, and don’t expect anyone I know to say anything.

What people are talking about when they say white silence is those under 35 who listen to rap music or other predominantly black genres, support black culture in various ways are friends with tons of black people and see all their black and white friends posting BLM stuff and they don’t say anything.

Those of you over 40 who don’t have many black friends and aren’t listening to hip hop or R and B are not whose getting critiqued here, definitely not Facebook users, more instagram and Snapchat users and twitter to a lesser extent.

I don’t agree with it because I didn’t say much on social media and don’t expect my friends to be political, generally I think it’s divisive, but the “white silence” is most targeted at a suburban/urban white Gen Zer/Millenial who actively messes with all things “black” but says nothing about black people and politics.

Anyone who’s under 35 in urban/suburban America knows that it’s literally impossible to avoid the BLM movement on social media so if you say nothing yet your hyperactive on social media what are your friends black and white supposed to think of your views on black folk.

This is were SJWs say something along the lines of “some white people (meaning young white people) like to put on black culture but will never speak for black people”, if your out here saying “no cap”, “bruh” and other slang terms and you wear Yeezys and Jordan’s and your playlist is more “melanated” than mine (I would say 50-65% of the music I listen to are black artists from around the world, the rest are mostly White Americans/Brits and Japanese).

Old 06-15-2020, 09:58 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I think you need to get busy on Instagram and acknowledge your white privilege.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,904 times
The message I posted on my facebook:

"I don't support looters or rioting, thus I don't support BLM."

Old 06-15-2020, 10:08 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Americans don’t see how it affects their lives if career criminals get harmed by the police. They think the police are just doing their jobs.

Don’t do illegal stuff, and the police won’t come after you. Simple concept, huh?

So true. This is how most white people think but it seems that most black kids are raised to fear the Police and white people regardless of the situation, heck Lebron James said that he has "no use for white people" so what kind of message is that? It is certainly not one of colour blind unity.

I think the majority of the country saw Floyds death as wake up call for change against terrible use of Police force and outright murder and then the riots started.

It is easy to feel empathy for the plight of some black people that do draw the short stick in our society when they bump into police but the empathy evaporates when you see the videos of those young black people looting, burning and destroying public and private property.

Nothing says "what a bunch of animals" then seeing white and black kids dancing on a trashed police car.

White people are tired of the riots because we just don't get how the murder of a criminal would incite the mob to trash their own neighborhood but even worse is when they tell us that Black Lives Matter but no one cares when a black punk shoots another black person. ?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I think a lot of y’all are missing the point. First let me point out I don’t say zilch politically on any of my real social media I.e attached to my real name with my real pictures on them, and don’t expect anyone I know to say anything.

What people are talking about when they say white silence is those under 35 who listen to rap music or other predominantly black genres, support black culture in various ways are friends with tons of black people and see all their black and white friends posting BLM stuff and they don’t say anything.

Those of you over 40 who don’t have many black friends and aren’t listening to hip hop or R and B are not whose getting critiqued here, definitely not Facebook users, more instagram and Snapchat users and twitter to a lesser extent.

I don’t agree with it because I didn’t say much on social media and don’t expect my friends to be political, generally I think it’s divisive, but the “white silence” is most targeted at a suburban/urban white Gen Zer/Millenial who actively messes with all things “black” but says nothing about black people and politics.

Anyone who’s under 35 in urban/suburban America knows that it’s literally impossible to avoid the BLM movement on social media so if you say nothing yet your hyperactive on social media what are your friends black and white supposed to think of your views on black folk.

This is were SJWs say something along the lines of “some white people (meaning young white people) like to put on black culture but will never speak for black people”, if your out here saying “no cap”, “bruh” and other slang terms and you wear Yeezys and Jordan’s and your playlist is more “melanated” than mine (I would say 50-65% of the music I listen to are black artists from around the world, the rest are mostly White Americans/Brits and Japanese).
That is why they call it "Virtue signalling".

Old 06-15-2020, 10:11 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m just living my life. Being a part of this little revolution is not in my life plan.
Agree but it's not really a revolution since BLM funnels money to Democrat candidates.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:12 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,103 times
Blacks don't want to hear from whites. They want whites to agree with what they're saying. They won't conversation, they want a chance to preach. They want affirmation.

I have stayed silent because BLM is based on lies, factual misrepresentations and a denial of black criminality (outsized murder perpetrators and violent crime perpetrators) which won't go away with ANYTHING that BLM is propounding.

Even conservatives who share black conservative opinions are now gaslighted as racist from the start.

BLM is a religious revival. F--- them and their religion, too.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times
George Floyd was just another scumbag and his color didn't have a thing to do with his death, it was a cop overstepping his boundaries. What is going on in this country over is death is absolutely ridiculous. These, (ironically diverse)cops should be held accountable for their actions and that's about all. We cant see everyone as an equal when all we do is point out the differences, which is why I support all lives matter and think BLM is BS.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:16 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Same situation with me. I have had to "snooze" about 5 or 6 of them. I don't participate in political postings at all.
That 30 day snooze is the best feature FB has created. I wish they would had more options in terms of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies