Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 10:37 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That is why they call it "Virtue signalling".
The issue with the white silence thing is these people aren't even virtue signalling, their the type of people to post, look at the new Lebron's I got during this time, and Lebron is out here putting #BLM, all of their friends white and black are putting #BLM etcetera. So of course their black friends and white friends feel some type of way about someone who does the above. The entire thing isn't directed at random white people who they never expected to say anything but people they thought were close friends, who basically to them at least switched up.

I see their point of view, and of course it isn't limited to white people, Asian folk and Hispanic folk are in the spotlight as well it's just that both of those groups tend to be more woke, and much smaller.

I just wanted to say way too many posters here were taking the white silence thing way to personal, if you listen to country are 65 years old and the only black person you know is your mailman your fine their not talking about you at all. Their talking about white silence, from many of their closest white friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:38 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Many people don't believe BLM unless Blacks first stop shooting each other by the thousands every year.

When they stop killing each other, then people will pay attention.

When they start caring about the Black Lives and the enforcement of Laws against Criminals they will then find other people care also.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
I've stayed silent and I don't give a f-ck what anyone thinks about that. This is getting so ridiculous I could scream. People need to stop whining about every little thing.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:43 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many people don't believe in BLM unless Blacks first stop shooting each other by the thousands every year.

When they stop killing each other, then people will pay attention.
Bingo.

We blacks can’t cherry pick which lives matter based on the race and profession of the shooter. Either they all matter or they don’t. BLM is pure hypocrisy.

Hell “Asian lives matter” is something that would make sense because Asians aren’t disproportionately killing each other every other day.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:56 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
It's the "White silence is violence" meme lmao...

Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I dont do politics on my FB.

Even stuff I agree with or pointing out fake news.

My wife has a good friend who posted that they were getting rid of the Barney Fife statue because cops are bad. It is from a satire site. Others pointed it out as fake. She insists it is real because it is what she wants to believe. Given a choice of all the true SJW stupidity going on, she insists on believing a fake story about a fake person.
Ditto. I don't want to say anything that can trigger a maga or BLM supporter. These people will look you up call your employer and landlord and eventual loss of livelihood most likely due to one's moral position and stance on politics.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:02 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, truly I cant be called young. I'm living in what I see as a city at the moment, not by choice, but its considered as a rural area. I've had two Black friends in my whole life and they have both passed.

I dont "mess with" anything Black as in music, clothing what have you though I do have an old recipe one of my departed friends gave me for an a$$ kicking BBQ sauce. Only recipe for anything I have actually used. I always wing it making stuff like that.

This is an old family recipe. Does that count as "messing with" Black things? Seriously though I see your point there. All these White youngsters running around dressed in clothes 3 sizes or better to big, boxers pulled up their crack, ball caps turned sideways with gangsta rap blaring out their base heavy stereos in their spinner rimmed cars you think would have something to contribute to the "cause."

Since they all are very active on their social media pages. Whatever format they favor. Perhaps many of them are looking at themselves and realizing how contradictory their look is considering their background.

Realizing that no matter how hard they try to look the part they're a square peg in a round hole. Lol, yeah, looking the part, talking the talk and playing the role isnt actually living it.

And the lines between reality and fiction have been redrawn and solidified.
No your fine that doesn't count at all. Your actually talking about 2006 dressing, most white and black kids who are into rap these days don't even sag at all, sagging is basically dead, and only the most hood of the most hood people still sag today. "messing with black" is subjective as hell because it doesn't even have to be something made or done first by black people. I.e most football players and basketball players which are the majority of the popular kids these days mess with black culture just because those 2 sports, have a massive amount of black players.

A good example is the slang I mentioned and wearing Yeezy's and Jordans regularly, most white as "whitebread" girls you stumble on in HS you can find a pair of Jordans in their closet and that entire dress style of wearing Jordans not on the basketball court was popularized by mostly black people before it became a cultural phenomenon across America (For the record I don't own a pair but by the time I graduated HS something like 70% of my class had a pair and only 25-30% of my graduating class was black). The phrase "no cap" is used by like 50% of HS at this point, and got popularized by black folk, that's what I mean more than sagging, your pants and wearing oversized shirts like that stuff legitimately died by 2010 your showing your age a bit. Most Frat parties play 90% rap music but I could bet you money 70% of those frat guys are apolitical or Republicans.

Like I was saying the white silence is completely meant for millennials who are very into various aspects of black culture but are silent completely on issues plagueing the black community, my view is they don't have to say anything, but it's becoming increasingly important to be an activist in my generation, and honestly the people who get criticized are the ones who deserve it.

If I didn't really care (I don't expect my friends to rally for the black community is what I mean), it would **** me off because from their perspective it would seem like your best friend whose white, who dresses the same as you, listens to the same music, plays the same sports as you is snaking you because they don't support your people when their getting gunned down in the street. That's the perspective their coming at, not the strangers silence but their friend's and acquaintances silence.

BTW this is an article on sagging, and what rappers and other influencers wear today that started the decline of folks who sag- https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/us/sa...ver/index.html

Old 06-15-2020, 11:04 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
The most vocal pro BLM people I know on social media are white. Most of my non-white friends (including myself) either dislike BLM or are apathetic.
This is also true. The main proponents of black lives matter are white liberals, followed by black academics and black thought leaders.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:06 AM

934 posts, read 403,433 times
And so, the cringe saga continues.
I'll talk about this subject in general terms.

So, there are voices on one side – soon enough you'll find something similar on the other, too - who expect you to:

- have the same opinion on the matter at hand. Not just similar, but exactly the same. Even the slightest deviation will prove their initial suspicions of you to be right. Because, after all, you are the other.

- get pissed off at the exact time they do, too
- get pissed off at the exact same thing and protest loudly
- protest in the exact same way and at the same venue or media they expect you to.
If you don’t, again, all suspicions - confirmed.

At the same time, voices from the same place occasionally say that
- it is all your fault, anyway
- therefore you shouldn’t be trusted
- also, you should keep your mouth shut
- but we want to have a conversation

So, in short, while keeping your mouth shut, you should have a conversation in which you shouldn’t be silent about their plight, real or imagined. While they are telling you that you should shut up, because they are tired, but those who did the shutting up themselves without their warning first are nothing but disgraces.

I thought you were going to 1991, Balkans. But no, you are going straight to 1984, Orwell.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:08 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The issue with the white silence thing is these people aren't even virtue signalling, their the type of people to post, look at the new Lebron's I got during this time, and Lebron is out here putting #BLM, all of their friends white and black are putting #BLM etcetera. So of course their black friends and white friends feel some type of way about someone who does the above. The entire thing isn't directed at random white people who they never expected to say anything but people they thought were close friends, who basically to them at least switched up.

I see their point of view, and of course it isn't limited to white people, Asian folk and Hispanic folk are in the spotlight as well it's just that both of those groups tend to be more woke, and much smaller.

I just wanted to say way too many posters here were taking the white silence thing way to personal, if you listen to country are 65 years old and the only black person you know is your mailman your fine their not talking about you at all. Their talking about white silence, from many of their closest white friends.
Their white friends ought to be talking about how their black friends have gone overboard and are conducting a racist campaign against white people. But they're too polite or scared to tell the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies