Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,434,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Black people across the country have taken to the streets and to their social media feeds to plead through protest that "black lives matter" and "enough is enough." But amidst all the noise and all the hashtags, many say there is nothing quite as deafening as "white silence."

Because for all the people who have flooded social media with George Floyd's name, Ahmaud Arbery's image and countless heartbreaking personal anecdotes of racism in action, there are just as many – and possibly even more – who have borne witness to the pain in black communities and chosen to say nothing.

"It's incredibly hurtful," said Broadway star Jelani Alladin. "And you're telling me that you have no hesitation posting a selfie of yourself... or what you're eating for dinner, and yet you're telling me that you're afraid to say something because you might hurt other people's feelings? Or you don't know what to say? Or you don't have an audience to reach? Were you thinking those things when you posted the other photos? I don't think you were."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/white-s...-saying-a-lot/

So what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 08:36 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
I’m just living my life. Being a part of this little revolution is not in my life plan.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:37 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
Lobbying your local government for change is doing something.

Saying something on social media, changing your profile picture to a black square, clicking a like button on a comment, isn't actually DOING anything at all.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
My thoughts are that's a trash article. Silence is not complicity, nor supporting violence and riots does not mean you're racist.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:41 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Most Americans don’t see how it affects their lives if career criminals get harmed by the police. They think the police are just doing their jobs.

Don’t do illegal stuff, and the police won’t come after you. Simple concept, huh?

Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m just living my life. Being a part of this little revolution is not in my life plan.
Ditto this. I don't know anyone black, live near anyone black, nor work with anyone black. If a cause literally has something to do with me, I may take it up, but this doesn't.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:44 AM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Cbs driving a divisive wedge during election season.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:45 AM

17,007 posts, read 12,602,310 times
I dont do politics on my FB.

Even stuff I agree with or pointing out fake news.

My wife has a good friend who posted that they were getting rid of the Barney Fife statue because cops are bad. It is from a satire site. Others pointed it out as fake. She insists it is real because it is what she wants to believe. Given a choice of all the true SJW stupidity going on, she insists on believing a fake story about a fake person.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:46 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
I'll start voicing when all police brutality is equal in the eyes of the media. Because most people probably can name 10 black people killed by police but not 1 white person.

In all serious though all these white people posting on social media is kind of pointless IMO. I do two things in my life. 1. I treat everybody with respect & never judge somebody by their skin color. If everybody did that we'd be much better off. 2. When I do have conversations about what is going on with white people I try and bring up questions to make them understand why black people do feel a certain way. I.e. history of treated unfair by police etc. Again, if every white person did that you would see more people understand the issue.

If I had kids I'd have a 3rd thing I'd do & that would be to make sure my kid (s) didn't judge & treated everybody with respect.

What so many of these people do not realize is they are not making things better by treating white people like this for simply not wanting to get involved in social media.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:47 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I dont do politics on my FB.

Even stuff I agree with or pointing out fake news.

My wife has a good friend who posted that they were getting rid of the Barney Fife statue because cops are bad. It is from a satire site. Others pointed it out as fake. She insists it is real because it is what she wants to believe. Given a choice of all the true SJW stupidity going on, she insists on believing a fake story about a fake person.
I've stayed out of it but it's hard. I get so tired of hearing people say certain things & I just wanna throw something back at them because they turn out to be wrong.

But the thing is with social media you never really know how some people feel by just typing words. Somebody might have a positive mindset on something but you take it completely wrong. People can assume you mean something totally different because of how THEY read it in their mind.

Just seems like you're not going to convince many people on how you feel because they have their minds made up so what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies