Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2020, 09:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Slackers.
That would be me! In my family, I’m the big dummy with my Bachelors from a state school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I'm not shocked that 3 people you are closely related to sound supremely egotistical.

Sounds about right.
More than 3. I didn’t even count my siblings.

Egotistical? When you earn it, it’s yours. Ego is legit as long as you can back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
They should only call MD's - 'Dr.'

PH'D's are a dime a dozen....Meh.....
No they aren’t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Do you have one?
He doesn’t even have an Associates. LOL

Old 10-02-2020, 10:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That would be me! In my family, I’m the big dummy with my Bachelors from a state school.

More than 3. I didn’t even count my siblings.

Egotistical? When you earn it, it’s yours. Ego is legit as long as you can back it up.

No they aren’t.

He doesn’t even have an Associates. LOL
Naahhhhh. Sounds like you were smart enough to marry up!!

Old 10-02-2020, 10:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Everyone that earned a title should be proud of the title that they earned. On the other hand, when I see a waiter or hotel manager call someone Mr. So-and-so, and they correct them and tell them "It's Dr. So-and-so.", it makes me cringe a little. Why is it necessary to have the waiter know you are a doctor, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I wish they would come up with some other name for medical doctors. I dont need to be called "doctor" at all. Just give us some other moniker that sums up what we do. These days, everybody in the hospital setting is getting a doctorate of something. The nurses are even getting Doctor of Nursing degrees. It has gotten to the point where hospitals are making rules that in the care setting, nobody is permitted to use the title except medical doctors because it is confusing to the patients. So like I said, I would be fine letting all of them have their titles and use them to their hearts content, and have medical doctors go by something else. With us, it's not the title that demands respect, so whatever new title they gave us, the respect would still be there.

If you were a surgeon you could go to the UK and be called Mister (or Miss or Mrs. or Ms., if that is appropriate) professionally. It originally meant Master.

https://www.sgu.edu/news-and-events/...Ms.%20or%20Mrs.

I know a couple whose sons called friends of theirs (married, both MDs) "Mr. Doctor Doe" and "Mrs. Doctor Doe".

I also know MDs who do not wish to be called Doctor outside of the professional setting because they do not want to be charged the "doctor price" for services. A female friend who is a dentist uses Dr. Maiden Name at work and her husband's surname socially.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:31 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Whoppi Goldberg suggested that Slow Joe appoint her Surgeon General.
You know, because..."She would never do it but, yeah, she’s a hell of a doctor. She’s an amazing doctor.”

Old 10-02-2020, 11:55 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
What's wrong with calling people by the titles they earn and prefer? Just as some married women like to use Ms. instead of Mrs. Some people prefer Bill instead of William.
Meh. If you are offended by this sort of thing, you are simply looking for something to be offended about.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:18 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
What's wrong with calling people by the titles they earn and prefer? Just as some married women like to use Ms. instead of Mrs. Some people prefer Bill instead of William.
Meh. If you are offended by this sort of thing, you are simply looking for something to be offended about.
No one is "offended". People think those who insist on being called by fancy titles are rude and self-important losers.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 10-03-2020 at 12:32 AM..

Old 10-03-2020, 12:20 AM

1,015 posts, read 786,892 times
The Principal at the High School was referred to as Dr Thompson.

Many years ago i used to go to the bar with Student Doctors and Doctors and they wanted me to call them their first names.

The Doctors at work the nursing staff call them their first names.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:22 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Naahhhhh. Sounds like you were smart enough to marry up!!
Yeah, my wife most definitely raises my stock. She could’ve done much better as my dad always says.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:09 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
To be fair, is she actually telling the people introducing her, to call her Dr?
Why would you want to derail a perfectly good rant with some pesky facts?

Old 10-03-2020, 02:37 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I've encountered the same. I work in a field that isn't medical related. One former coworker did the same and his Phd had nothing to do with the job at hand. I don't think he realized that there are many Phd's in the company... most are pretty modest.

I think in the medical field your role in the organization is enough that most people understand your educational background.

A phd in a non-medical field isn't so obvious. So a person with an ego is going to be most likely stroking their degree attainment. I have bigger things to worry about in life... so whatever...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies