Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 AM

30,695 posts, read 18,337,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
New York's did. Detroit's did. New Orleans' did. Texas had quite a few. I think Wisconsin is currently seeing an overrun too...
No, NY's hospitals didn't. And NY didn't run out of ventilators either, which is what some claimed would happen. Some specific NY hospitals were full. But hospital capacity was never exceeded in New York. Thus, they didn't end up needing the Navy hospital ship or the makeshift hospital set up at the Javits Center. Why are leftists intent on spreading fake news?

Note, it wouldn't shock me if this was the case in the other two cities also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,693,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
If Trump doesn't win, the Nation, and the world will regret it.
I doubt that and if it so happens, the Democrats at the White House can be voted out of office in 2024. Maybe even Trump would want to run again then.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:21 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,756,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is my long-form reply to the AADAD post Why WE Won. Why We'll Win Again II. It has become painfully obvious that Trump is going to lose the election. National polling he is behind by an average of 10 points in the last week, week and a half. State polling he is mostly doing worse than he was in 2016. Electorally, he is in a mess with a lot of must-win states trending Biden, even Ohio which wasn't a need in this year's map. To me, while I have seen the writing on the wall with his handling of Covid, this really started last week during the first and possibly only presidential debate and continued during his Covid diagnosis and case. I have come up with five reasons in particular:
  • Trump is unhinged.
  • Attacks on the election process and change of power.
  • Support of anti-government militias.
  • Refusal to denounce white supremacy.
  • Covid-19 and his lack of handling the virus.

Trump has acted really unhinged the last two or so weeks dating back to the release of his tax information by the NYT. Whether it was truthful or not, it was effective and caused issues for Trump going forward. Then he was interrupted to the point of belligerence during the first debate. He made a few good points but a lot of what he interrupted with were off-base or downright conspiracy. Then his Twitter rants when he was recovering from Covid. Trump is clearly mentally unfit to be president.

Trump's attack on the institution of the election process is downright treasonous. It really sounds like to me that Trump wants to be a Putin. You know, the type of leader our founding fathers did not want at all. Remember besides FDR all presidents followed a two-term length, even those that came in with the death of the preceding president. The attacks lead into the next issue. Now he attacks mail-in balloting, something he has done for years and I have as well?

Trump's support of anti-government militias is downright scary. Yes, there have been a need for a few throughout history, though every single one have failed. Bacon failed, the Whiskey Rebellion failed and the Confederacy failed as well. You can even throw in Ruby Ridge, Karasch and Bundy. Luckily Bundy never went to gunplay. That said, Trump supporting anti-government groups and encouraging them with #LiberateMichigan is downright disgusting. Now he will not comment about the Whitmer kidnappers.

Trump regardless of if he is an outright racist, is a race-baiter. He had the Central Park 5 situation that he never apologized for when they got their conviction overturned. Trump was involved in the Obama birther scandal. But one place where Trump is lost is not denouncing white supremacy. It is rather easy to do even if you don't mean it. Trump not condemning them time and time again especially in the debate lost him the election.

I will not go into detail of the last to sound like I want to beat a dead horse, but Trump has not handled the virus great at all. He even said to Bob Woodward that he didn't let the American people know how serious it was to have the American people not panic.
Sorry, but your post just sounds like an echo chamber for TDS. I think after four years, the American people are smarter than that. They can see that this president has endured effort after effort by the Democrats and liberal media to take out this president. That was all they did for four years while Trump gave us a laundry list of accomplishments even getting nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Democrats think if they just keep repeating a lie over and over, people will buy into it. I don't think the American people are gonna get fooled this time. Like the White Supremacy thing. We have on tape MULTIPLE times where Trump condemns these groups. How many freaking times does he have to say it to satisfy people like you? Trump isn't attacking the election process. He's trying to prevent rigging the votes.

Covid 19 was an incredibly unlucky blow for him, but anyone with common sense can see that many other nations are struggling with the virus. I don't see how Trump personally could have prevented those deaths when you have many Americans being irresponsible holding parties, holiday celebration, massive bike rallies. Silly to think that Biden would have done a much better job when his record showed they practically ignored their H1N1 pandemic.

I think we are going to see a repeat of 2016 where the media and Dems are all boasting about winning the polls and it's practically guaranteed that Biden has it. There will be shock when you see that Americans outside of CA and NYC will turn up in record numbers to vote for Trump.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM

73,132 posts, read 62,791,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Did Trump get 1/3 of the black population in 2016?

Did he win anyway?
I never said Trump couldn't win without the Black vote. Trump and Republicans in the past 30 years have proven they can win without the Black vote. This is MY point.

1) There are people who will get photos of those 2 or 3 Black Trump supporters and use it to say "see, Blacks are warming up to Trump". My point is this. I will not believe it until at least 1/3 of the Black population warms up to Trump. Until that happens, FORGET IT.

2) The OP said that growing prejudice towards Blacks thanks to the riots will play a role in Trump winning in 2020. As a Black man, I take that very personal. Anyone voting for Trump because of their own resentment towards Blacks, I find said persons to be reprehensible. And no, I'm not saying that every person voting for Trump is doing so for that reason. I'm speaking specifically about those who have a resentment towards Blacks.

My point is this. There are people looking for every Black person who is supporting Trump and trying to tout it as the best thing since sliced bread, almost like a desperate move. On the flip side, it looks like resentment towards Blacks is one of (not the only) driving forces in getting some people to vote for Trump. How do you expect me to respond to that?

Old 10-12-2020, 07:32 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,594,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Nobody cares about "white supremacy." Nor about militias. You need to turn the tv off sometimes and go outside. As for coronavirus: it's all well and good to play Monday-morning quarterback, but what do the Democrats propose to do now?
Will we have stricter coronavirus restrictions coming three months from now, from the federal level? Who wants that? Not many people, I assure you.
I care about white supremacy. I care more that our country is shifting to a regressive authoritarian leaning place. I care about the environment. I care about the world my kids are going to be left with. I care that the days when we valued experts are gone. It’s like living through the movie, Idiocracy.

Look at the world leaders thread and the people like Putin and Bolsonero who Trump supporters admire. 100 years of progress is being undone right now. It’s scary and depressing for anyone who values intelligence over bravado. I still believe that there are enough Republicans who think like this to defeat Trump. Ultimately I think that’s why he loses.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 AM

30,120 posts, read 18,730,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
It does not matter what you think Trump did. The proof is in the pudding as they say. When you compare how a county is dealing with a pandemic, look at their closest most similar neighbors. In our case that is Canada.

USA Cases per million 24,000
Canada Cases per million 4,800

USA deaths per million 663
Canada deaths per million 254

USA new cases today 41,936

Canada 1685

American had 24 times the new cases of Canada today. America is 9 times bigger.

American has averaged 736 deaths a day this past week

Canada has averaged 21.

Trump does not deserve reelection. We have 140,000 more deaths than we should have. Their blood is on Trump's little hands.
?????????????

And Biden called Trump's travel bans "reckless and irresponsible" and would have allowed far more infected people from China to enter the US.

Two months later, Biden changed his mind. However, had Biden been in control, we would have had far more deaths, due to being late on addressing the travel issue.

If you look at Biden's record in the Senate, rarely, if ever, has he been right about anything. The good thing about being a democrat is that you just revise history to claim that you were always right!

Old 10-12-2020, 08:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Agreed.

OP, don't let the lag between the LSM's lies and the truth coming out through less traditional outlets give you the false impression that people believe Biden's bull ****.

The only reason to believe Biden is winning Florida and key rustbelt states is the same polling that was dead ass wrong the last time.

In 2016, the polling didn't match up to the enthusiasm gap that we were able to see with our own eyes.

The Trump rallies were constant overflow events with thousands of people inside and as many or more outside trying get in.

Hillary then, like Biden now, couldn't fill school gymnasiums without Beyonce and Jay-Z showing up to help out, so what's changed?

We are told that Biden's response to the pandemic would have been better, except there is absolutely no reason to believe that claim is true.

In fact, Biden has consistently been a step behind since January.

Trump's China travel ban came at approximately the same time, or before, most other nations instituted their own travel bans, but Biden didn't call for one until April 3rd.

https://www.cerescourier.com/opinion...na-travel-ban/

We also know that it was the Obiden administration that rubber-stamped the Covidien-Newport merger when Newport was under contract to produce ventilators for the national pandemic stockpile.

Lucky for us we didn't need them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/b...-shortage.html

Actually, Biden is slightly behind the 2016 Hillary Clinton campaign.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...-2020-vs-2016/

About that not accepting the outcome...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/recount...da-jill-stein/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g-_JRPMjG4

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...c67_story.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39945744

Supporting antigovernmental groups?

How so?

Is Trump also an Anarchist?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ti-trump-views

As for the election....

https://news.stonybrook.edu/facultys...win-for-trump/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/vice-...b0bce34701ab15
I never really saw Trump soften on not accepting the outcome to the election at all. He seems to think there is voter fraud. By no measure is there any concerted effort to defraud the election. At least by US sources. Could he and his supporters not like the results, sure. I mean if Biden wins, it would mark the first president I voted for to win the electoral vote. That said even with Trump, I didn't say I do not accept the results. I hope the Trump supporters realize if the polling is correct, Trump should lose in a number of close elections.

Trump supported a number of paramilitary groups. He the Liberate Michigan movement. He also stood by Bundy. He also said "Proud Boys to stand back and stand by" during a debate and they ended up turning it into rallying cry. Trump has also encouraged people to stand at polling places too (not limited to militia groups.) He also didn't even emphasize with Gov. Whitmer for the kidnap planning. Trump sounds like some of the more radicalized far-right members of this forum. I realize he is well liked but y'all are delusional if you don't see the problems with Trump nor the electoral map closing in on him.

Is Trump anarchist, no. That said he is however an agent of chaos. During a public health crisis and tense racial divide, we can't afford four more years of agent of chaos. We had America run under the Joker mixed with Oswald Cobblepot, let's try something else.

As for the need to vote in person I dont see it. I have voted by mail in all but one election including primaries since 2013 for a local election. The one election i did vote in person for (the 2014 Republican primary) i didn't get a ballot for. I find it easier to vote. I often know who I'll vote for and keep up with the races. Some are harder to like state legislature since those don't get airtime.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,961,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
?????????????

And Biden called Trump's travel bans "reckless and irresponsible" and would have allowed far more infected people from China to enter the US.

Two months later, Biden changed his mind. However, had Biden been in control, we would have had far more deaths, due to being late on addressing the travel issue.

If you look at Biden's record in the Senate, rarely, if ever, has he been right about anything. The good thing about being a democrat is that you just revise history to claim that you were always right!
They largely did not and were feelgood measures. Why because it didn't really ban travel. Trump however banned if not increased scrutiny of European travel far too late.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:24 AM

14,009 posts, read 5,664,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
9) Incumbent Presidents are very unlikely to be voted out. Bush senior only was because Ross Perot split the conservative vote.
Agree on first part, disagree on second.

Historically, even the GHWB thing was rare, but it did follow the pattern of when incumbents get unseated. Here are the pattern checkboxes that went against GHWB that are simply not in play for Trump (and it wasn't JUST Perot):
  • challenger is current or recent ex governor
  • election has vigorous 3rd party candidate pulling >5% support
  • incumbent has diminished support from base and/or party expressed as <75% of the primary popular vote
History doesn't lie and what has happened is immutable and undeniable. Americans have a very solidly predictable quadrennial behavior.

The governor thing has been a condition since the 1888 election. It's top of the list because non-executives have a tough sell trying to take the job away from incumbent executives.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:36 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,259,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
YES. This is what truly bothers me about Biden/Harris and the Democrats. They criticize Trump for his response to COVID, but I have seen or heard NOTHING about what Biden/Harris would do, given the chance. Lock down the entire country indefinitely? Yeah, that would be a good idea . . . NOT!

If anyone reading this has read the Democrat plan and has a link, PLEASE post it either here or on a separate thread.

I'll be waiting and watching for it.
as Pence noted, the Dem plan sounds a whole lot like Trump's plan except:

1. Mask mandate
2. Contact tracing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies