Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 07:25 PM

202 posts, read 144,719 times

Advertisements

Not only are people dying from this virus everyday but people everywhere are being divided in two. People can’t work together, ever man or lady for themselves , disagreements and agreements on a number of things ( don’t go out, the vaccine why can’t I get it, I’m mad they close the zoo again, you should stay home but I really don’t and don’t agree with you, anti maskers vs maskers, trump vs Biden voters , no equity, stay at homers vs non stay at homers, government controlling abuse).
Weather it’s your friend , family, boss and co workers or just the general society

I have my own beliefs and my own ways of handling the pandemic because if I told my ways to other people i be judged by maybe my own family friends , maybe even co workers . A lot of my friends don’t like to go out but I sure do and I actually got the vaccine

Since we are about to approach one year with this Has the COVID Pandemic caused any division or tension between you and other people you may know? Examples could be things you agree on but they can’t, or different beliefs and opinions you may have.

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:30 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Yes, I've noticed the same. I'm dismayed but not surprised. I pray more as a result.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 PM

8,524 posts, read 4,762,898 times
Rona didn’t cause any of this. The division and political bomb throwing was already alive and well. The pandemic was a useful issue to the political/power class to exploit.

The sad part is that folks just seem to sheep their way along with all of this.

The mindset of so many people seems to put so much emotion behind their politics that it allows little room for reason.

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t understand such a thick level of tribalism that it transcends any acknowledgement of other factors.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:15 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,434,526 times
Yes. As ugly as it has gotten I actually think it is a good thing. During times of duress you get to see people for who they really are. I appreciate knowing the truth. For me it was only confirmation of what I already knew.

It has also shown me how FAR OUT people's ideologies can be. Like Wow Man people really think like this ? They don't look stupid bbbbbut damn people really think like this ?

People are having tantrums and rants all over the place. A nation of spoiled brats getting what it deserves.

It's sad to see and yes it has divided people for sure but what is the remedy ?

Old 02-08-2021, 10:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Has anybody notice the COVID Pandemic has caused society to turn against each other?
Simply, COVID has caused more people to be unhappy relative to isolation and (sometimes) dramatic changes in their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

People are having tantrums and rants all over the place.
I agree i.e. people whining re: masks/the pandemic as if it's some sort of conspiracy (and they're the only people who have had to deal with it).

Old 02-08-2021, 11:36 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
It's sad to see and yes it has divided people for sure but what is the remedy ?
The remedy is spiritual in nature, IMO. We're going to need to become a more humble people. If we don't do so voluntarily, it will be forced upon us in a very ugly and horrific fashion. What's that saying? Something like "Pride goeth before the fall".

Old 02-09-2021, 03:23 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Not only are people dying from this virus everyday but people everywhere are being divided in two. People can’t work together, ever man or lady for themselves , disagreements and agreements on a number of things ( don’t go out, the vaccine why can’t I get it, I’m mad they close the zoo again, you should stay home but I really don’t and don’t agree with you, anti maskers vs maskers, trump vs Biden voters , no equity, stay at homers vs non stay at homers, government controlling abuse).
Weather it’s your friend , family, boss and co workers or just the general society

I have my own beliefs and my own ways of handling the pandemic because if I told my ways to other people i be judged by maybe my own family friends , maybe even co workers . A lot of my friends don’t like to go out but I sure do and I actually got the vaccine

Since we are about to approach one year with this Has the COVID Pandemic caused any division or tension between you and other people you may know? Examples could be things you agree on but they can’t, or different beliefs and opinions you may have.

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?

t is not the virus causing people to get upset, it is the groups of people who think there is a conspiracy and selfishly refuse to believe there is a need to wear masks and insist upon mingling with people outside of their cohort. These are the ones who are upset

Old 02-09-2021, 03:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
My tolerance both physically and mentally have been tested many a time. Mostly from the Defeatist attitude I listen to when out in public, the Shucks it does no good to XYZ. <--Insert whatever the person is unwilling to speak up about or take positive action on.
I'm not saying be aggressive- Instead assert with your voice or in your manner of stance.

Sure when certain stressors inhabit ones daily life for a long period of time, it degrades the persons tenacity to persevere. It is one part of the persons character. NOT the "gee NOW I know how they really are!". Is rather untrue. We are multi faceted and as the saying goes.....Just because you met someone in their darkest hours doesn't mean they don't have a bright side. Sadly just as Alaska experiences Months of darkness, sometimes people are that way too. Bring a flashlight

Old 02-09-2021, 04:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,285 times
What do I know?! Lived in a space as big as a bathroom, with no shower, no toilet, two other guys, for 8 weeks straight, under little sleep and heavy workload, and gotten along well enough.
Why am I reaching this point like in the movie Unhinged/\...?! Like I just am not going to accept peoples little sh-- anymore.
Is it the bank account going down like the 2008 Construction market? The old lady nagging but doesn't even know it? The kids talking sh-- back like what's-respect-got-to-do-with-it ( more like, ...Respect?...whadyamean?)(actually, it's a face the look at me with - i wonder if they can even verbalize the word) Not like they can't build a back porch deck, or make a dress, or do the bookkeeping ...just - seem to be part of a communal group that silently accepts "so what, who cares?" Is it: "This is our generation's normal" BIG question mark!
All I know is, something is hitting me and the light-hearted version would be a 1950's era throwing the television out the window.
Except, this is 2021A.D., and the upgraded version is way beyond that display.
Who's even got the room to trip on anybody else - i just wanna get through the next year legally!

Old 02-09-2021, 06:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Rona didn’t cause any of this. The division and political bomb throwing was already alive and well. The pandemic was a useful issue to the political/power class to exploit.

The sad part is that folks just seem to sheep their way along with all of this.

The mindset of so many people seems to put so much emotion behind their politics that it allows little room for reason.

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t understand such a thick level of tribalism that it transcends any acknowledgement of other factors.
I am afraid that is rather the case.

Now, the way to apply support or not to the theory that Covid caused this is to look outside the US and see if other people around the world are so divided?

How are things, say, in Italy given how hard they were hit first.

NOW, on two other sides of the coin, A: my luck with intimate relationships rather sucks and during Covid, it is rather worse. So without Covid or with, the way I approach life is I dump my sexual energy directly into how I relate to people and I am very energetic, very cheerful, very presentful of positive, related but off in left field comments as I greet people, friend and stranger alike.

B: One of the down sides of our masks is that people can't see you smile when you run into each other, when they say something that you find humorous, and so forth. Last week, I was talking to a technician and he said something that I knew was the case, it made me smile for several seconds, and I just had to step back the distance to lower my mask to express the humor I was feeling, so he could share in it.

Hence, especially on B, maybe that is an unrecognized side effect of this pandemic which may apply in non veil cultures where we have misplaced a primary convenience to express joy, a way to override the down feelings we are experiencing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies