Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 07:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

Why yes, I HAVE noticed that! If someone had wickedly PLANNED to turned people against each other, they couldn't have picked a better vehicle. That whole "my mask protects you, and your mask protects me" trope was sheer genius toward that end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 07:14 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yes. As ugly as it has gotten I actually think it is a good thing. During times of duress you get to see people for who they really are. I appreciate knowing the truth. For me it was only confirmation of what I already knew.

It has also shown me how FAR OUT people's ideologies can be. Like Wow Man people really think like this ? They don't look stupid bbbbbut damn people really think like this ?

People are having tantrums and rants all over the place. A nation of spoiled brats getting what it deserves.

It's sad to see and yes it has divided people for sure but what is the remedy ?
Yup. Wow, people are waaaaaaay more screwed-up than I ever imagined they were. Pretty depressing.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:52 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yup. Wow, people are waaaaaaay more screwed-up than I ever imagined they were. Pretty depressing.
On the other hand, perhaps the conditions are just right.

we have a family friend who has some pretty far out ideas. Mom said, when she was alive, such is what happened to older men who live alone in that they are constantly bombarded by their own ideas and there is no one else to tell them wrong.

Perhaps a situation of isolated Groupthink.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

Now take a look at the current situation where lots of people are at home and they are bombarded by information sources entirely of their own picking, from the Net to the news. Add to it that they have plenty of time to post on the Net and perhaps even get rewards for what they think so they are encouraged to post even more like that......to think even more like that.

I have a friend (no, really, I do!) who is very, very right wing. I look at everything he posts on FB and think that he must spend all his time on the Net, in that environment.

BUT, it does go both ways. In the last century, I was on Bisexu-L, a mailing list. Oh, it was so fun there, we were all so friendly to each other, it was such a perfect world. Then, however, I go to a cousin's wedding, Melissa Etheridge is on the news, and my brother is talking with someone else about burning her at the stake. I was shocked......but I had forgotten that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily think the way one does in their protected little worlds.

So here we are, forced for months in the worlds of our own picking.....is it any wonder why people are the way they are?

So why don't I fall into this? Because one of my consideration tools is the ability to stop and ask a counter of myself, "Okay, say I am interpreting this incorrectly. Erase the board and take all the data we have right now and present it to me from another point of view, another interpretation.".

It is something I have learned to do in tactical exercises......and watching TV shows where they assume the right conclusion and don't even ask about alternate possibilities.

Finally, a historical example. In Captain Bligh's long boat, everyone worked together. They had to, obviously, but when they were saved and living in quarters on that island they reached, they broke back into their own squabbling little groups.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:56 AM

44 posts, read 46,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?
I've seen quite the opposite myself (especially in COS -- in the South, it's a little different but not bad really). But that's just me. I also find it helpful to not have an opinion on the whole masking or distancing stuff. I avoid being a warrior for either side. Life is nice and calm that way.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
I've seen quite the opposite myself (especially in COS -- in the South, it's a little different but not bad really). But that's just me. I also find it helpful to not have an opinion on the whole masking or distancing stuff. I avoid being a warrior for either side. Life is nice and calm that way.
You sound like Joubert!

Joubert: Well, the fact is, what I do is not a bad occupation. Someone is always willing to pay.
Joe Turner: I would find it... tiring.
Joubert: Oh, no - it's quite restful. It's almost peaceful. No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause. There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision.
(from IMDB: Three Days of the Condor)

Old 02-09-2021, 08:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Not only are people dying from this virus everyday but people everywhere are being divided in two. People can’t work together, ever man or lady for themselves , disagreements and agreements on a number of things ( don’t go out, the vaccine why can’t I get it, I’m mad they close the zoo again, you should stay home but I really don’t and don’t agree with you, anti maskers vs maskers, trump vs Biden voters , no equity, stay at homers vs non stay at homers, government controlling abuse).
Weather it’s your friend , family, boss and co workers or just the general society

I have my own beliefs and my own ways of handling the pandemic because if I told my ways to other people i be judged by maybe my own family friends , maybe even co workers . A lot of my friends don’t like to go out but I sure do and I actually got the vaccine

Since we are about to approach one year with this Has the COVID Pandemic caused any division or tension between you and other people you may know? Examples could be things you agree on but they can’t, or different beliefs and opinions you may have.

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?
I don’t think the virus divided us. I think the virus was lemon juice on a cut that was already long made and very wide. I don’t think any one force or person has caused a division. The division was long there, now we just can’t hide it.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:02 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

B: One of the down sides of our masks is that people can't see you smile when you run into each other, when they say something that you find humorous, and so forth. Last week, I was talking to a technician and he said something that I knew was the case, it made me smile for several seconds, and I just had to step back the distance to lower my mask to express the humor I was feeling, so he could share in it..
Hopefully the police were called and you were arrested?

Old 02-09-2021, 10:19 AM

928 posts, read 499,071 times
I agree with another poster who said the Pandemic is yet another excuse for the divide. Why should it be political? Well, the esteemed Andrew Cuomo for one made it political and then patted himself on the back for all the nursing home deaths on his watch. But it shouldn't be political, yet politicians make it so. Trump would have won had his advisors not mishandled this in the beginning. Fauci couldn't make up his mind if masks were useful. Now he says to wear several??? I mean really?

I've just used common sense. Its not political for me, but it does appear to me that Democrats were terrified and Republicans weren't. Hence all the mail in ballots by democrats and Republicans showing up in person to vote.

The smart answer of how to handle it is in the middle, common sense. 15 days to slow the spread has turned into what, 330 and counting? 3 years to slow the spread if our dementia patient President has any say.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
OP - you have stated the cause precisely, with your own words:

"I have my own beliefs."

If we were flying a ship to Mars, your "beliefs" would not be considered, nor should they be.
If we were doing brain surgery or heart surgery - same.
Building radio technology? Xray machines? or more relatable...bridges and buildings?

Your beliefs do not play a role in the design, except perhaps at some prototype and hypothesis stage, where your "beliefs" will quickly become canon or trash. That's science.

We trusted doctors with Ebola, or going back, Polio, Measles and Mumps. We accept open-heart surgery as a thing, most folks trust antibiotics, or at some point, perhaps unwillingly the science of anesthesia. We even trust heart transplants.
But here we are - 2021 - thinking our "beliefs" play a role. They do not. Viral science is a thing. Experts (not pretend experts, or internet experts, or doctors in other fields, or politicians, but actual experts) DO exist. And their "beliefs" have a bit more ammo behind them than mine. Or yours.

NO ONE has a "belief" that is wholly original - all of you have been "informed" by someone, a friend, the media, the internet, your church, whatever. Consider your sources (and theirs) carefully. Edit your beliefs if needed.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 1,489 times
I live in the upper valley of Vermont and New Hampshire . People are very compliant wearing masks ,it may be due to the
proximity of Dartmouth University. Dartmouth is a science and medical school. Citizens in this area tend to be more educated,
that's probable why our case numbers are low. I don't like wearing a mask, but I do it for the greater good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies