Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 10:39 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,851,191 times

Advertisements

This pandemic has caused division between me and my inner circle, but not in a political sense. If anything it's made us miss each other more.

I'm around testosterone 24/7 these days, and as a woman, I desperately need some girlfriend time, which is impossible. I also long for a visit and a sleep over with the shorties in my life, which is also impossible. There's a lot of furry friends that I miss as well.

Yes, there's a lot of loss here and that promotes longing, not hate. I love these people in my life, and it doesn't matter who they voted for. They're all good people or they wouldn't be part of my inner circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 10:47 AM

202 posts, read 147,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
I've seen quite the opposite myself (especially in COS -- in the South, it's a little different but not bad really). But that's just me. I also find it helpful to not have an opinion on the whole masking or distancing stuff. I avoid being a warrior for either side. Life is nice and calm that way.
Oh but here in California it’s not like that. Basically every person fends for themselves?

Can’t find what you are looking for? Oh well
People everywhere are now upset who gets the vaccine first
People don’t agree on the same ideas of masks and distancing .
If I’m a business I decide if I get to stay open not the government

If my friends don’t want to go out it’s on them and I clash with my friends about this issue but I don’t really bother anymore to ask if they wanna hang out

Same with my parents who freak out more about going out 10x more than me. Sometimes I help them get groceries on occasion but never together

It’s caused a bit of distancing from each other and I just tend to clash with people who’s ideas are not quite the same as mines

Old 02-09-2021, 12:05 PM

933 posts, read 505,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Oh but here in California it’s not like that. Basically every person fends for themselves?

Can’t find what you are looking for? Oh well
People everywhere are now upset who gets the vaccine first
People don’t agree on the same ideas of masks and distancing .
If I’m a business I decide if I get to stay open not the government

If my friends don’t want to go out it’s on them and I clash with my friends about this issue but I don’t really bother anymore to ask if they wanna hang out

Same with my parents who freak out more about going out 10x more than me. Sometimes I help them get groceries on occasion but never together

It’s caused a bit of distancing from each other and I just tend to clash with people who’s ideas are not quite the same as mines
Not to mention the teachers unions ruining the education system. Follow the science! Kids aren't nearly as susceptible to this and they're losing a year plus of education. The future of this once great nation hangs in the balance. Grow some balls, Sleepy Joe and force these teachers to teach!

Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,861,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Not only are people dying from this virus everyday but people everywhere are being divided in two. People can’t work together, ever man or lady for themselves , disagreements and agreements on a number of things ( don’t go out, the vaccine why can’t I get it, I’m mad they close the zoo again, you should stay home but I really don’t and don’t agree with you, anti maskers vs maskers, trump vs Biden voters , no equity, stay at homers vs non stay at homers, government controlling abuse).
Weather it’s your friend , family, boss and co workers or just the general society

I have my own beliefs and my own ways of handling the pandemic because if I told my ways to other people i be judged by maybe my own family friends , maybe even co workers . A lot of my friends don’t like to go out but I sure do and I actually got the vaccine

Since we are about to approach one year with this Has the COVID Pandemic caused any division or tension between you and other people you may know? Examples could be things you agree on but they can’t, or different beliefs and opinions you may have.

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?
A result of us all being forced to live in our heads and online on social media. The pandemic has destroyed the social functions and events that used to bring us together and now all we have is our echo chambers.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,427,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am afraid that is rather the case.

Now, the way to apply support or not to the theory that Covid caused this is to look outside the US and see if other people around the world are so divided?

How are things, say, in Italy given how hard they were hit first.

NOW, on two other sides of the coin, A: my luck with intimate relationships rather sucks and during Covid, it is rather worse. So without Covid or with, the way I approach life is I dump my sexual energy directly into how I relate to people and I am very energetic, very cheerful, very presentful of positive, related but off in left field comments as I greet people, friend and stranger alike.

B: One of the down sides of our masks is that people can't see you smile when you run into each other, when they say something that you find humorous, and so forth. Last week, I was talking to a technician and he said something that I knew was the case, it made me smile for several seconds, and I just had to step back the distance to lower my mask to express the humor I was feeling, so he could share in it.

Hence, especially on B, maybe that is an unrecognized side effect of this pandemic which may apply in non veil cultures where we have misplaced a primary convenience to express joy, a way to override the down feelings we are experiencing.

The eyes have it all.

Sharing a smile vs sharing droplets. Easy life and death decision.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:32 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,173,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The eyes have it all.

Sharing a smile vs sharing droplets. Easy life and death decision.
Wasn't really arguing the latter point only offering a possible explanation to the question.

As to the former point, it would be interesting to see about a veiled culture where much more emphasis is placed on the decoration above the veil. Of course, there would be other cultural differences that would need to be evaluated as well.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-09-2021 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 07:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,184,577 times
People are angry.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:47 PM

8,848 posts, read 3,993,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Its not political for me, but it does appear to me that Democrats were terrified and Republicans weren't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
3 years to slow the spread if our dementia patient President has any say.
Too funny i.e. 'it's not political' for you. Sure. :-)

Old 02-09-2021, 08:46 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,809,790 times
I grew up in the '60's when it was squares vs hippies and Vietnam was the big issue. My first realization of this division came when every so called "friend" abandoned and ridiculed me for enlisting. So much for unity. Now it's Covid, to vaccinate or not, the economy, political hatred the likes of which I've never seen and that's the extent of my postings on this particular subject. One nation, under God ? It's not been for decades and won't be again for a long, long time. We united briefly after the attack on the twin towers and that sense of unity was all too brief.

Now I'm off to find something happier to discuss. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:00 PM

358 posts, read 224,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
OP - you have stated the cause precisely, with your own words:

"I have my own beliefs."

If we were flying a ship to Mars, your "beliefs" would not be considered, nor should they be.
If we were doing brain surgery or heart surgery - same.
Building radio technology? Xray machines? or more relatable...bridges and buildings?

Your beliefs do not play a role in the design, except perhaps at some prototype and hypothesis stage, where your "beliefs" will quickly become canon or trash. That's science.

We trusted doctors with Ebola, or going back, Polio, Measles and Mumps. We accept open-heart surgery as a thing, most folks trust antibiotics, or at some point, perhaps unwillingly the science of anesthesia. We even trust heart transplants.
But here we are - 2021 - thinking our "beliefs" play a role. They do not. Viral science is a thing. Experts (not pretend experts, or internet experts, or doctors in other fields, or politicians, but actual experts) DO exist. And their "beliefs" have a bit more ammo behind them than mine. Or yours.

NO ONE has a "belief" that is wholly original - all of you have been "informed" by someone, a friend, the media, the internet, your church, whatever. Consider your sources (and theirs) carefully. Edit your beliefs if needed.
Heres the thing - its really hard to trust anyone when the media seems to be controlled by this or that political party and or the mighty trying to control the masses. So how does one go about getting any
information while being completely confident that it is the absolute truth? Your doctors are going by what
they are told from who and what? The government run authorities so its hard to trust them- and also
they have been proven to tell people this is safe or that isnt only to change their story midsentence
and or to be told the number of fatalities where low compared to the improved cases so how is that
going to work when you are in the wrong group?

About a year and half ago I had a perfectly healthy pug that was 7 months old and she was the light
of my families eye - she had to go for her 2nd round of vaccines - I took her because I was doing the
responsible right thing. Four days later when she died because of the booster shot being too much for
her and almost $2,000 trying to figure out what was wrong - I was beyond furious when the vet who gave
her the shot told me it is very rare like almost one in a million. This is not something I will forget being the rare case - and so now I look at the few that have died from vaccine and am left with a ton of anxiety.

My 26 year old son lives with me as does his girlfriend and their 20 month old baby. This is an arrangement that has in itself caused a large amount of stress in itself without the pandemic that
hit us all. My son is a driver for UPS she is overnight manager at Walmart. They are young and seem
to be convinced the virus is a lie so they are not taking it seriously or much precaution I presume. I on
the other hand have RA so I have been taking weekly shots for 6+ years that weaken my immune system in the hopes of slowing down the disease. For the most part I have managed to do this BUT then the pandemic hits and am already the type of person who gets the flu every year and have had bronchitus more times than I care to count. So I am faced with trying to convince them of the importance of trying to be safe - that is not possible as far as i can tell.

So last week when I wake up with a sore throat so bad I cant talk and feeling overall sick , chest is feeling a little tight - I panic. I have no temp but all day I am wondering if they brought Covid home with their carelessness. I even think for a few minutes what if I have it and because of my RA meds and weakened immune system - I die at 50 years old?

This reality is new and harsh to deal with. Do I distance from my son until this is slowed and we are vaccinated? My only child and grandson for who knows how long? Then I think what if I do that and some other thing takes one of our lives what about all the time lost? So yes having to think about these types of problems wears on a person. Throw in the current state of events in the US politically , economically, and especially not being able to trust most information completely or at all and I believe that it may seem like I have turned at times on others but I have not really just usually venting frustration.

I feel for everyone else out there who is going through much worse than I am because of this pandemic and would gladly like to help those who need it if i can so I do not think we are at a level yet of its me or you type of thinking. But then again that could change if we have to go without toilet paper and other supplies like the first few months of pandemic. That could be the game changer if it were to be the new reality. (smiling cautiously)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies