Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:18 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,454,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I noticed this almost as soon as the pandemic started. Right away, you had people giving others guilt trips for so much as leaving their house. Some of them were vicious. Seriously, it doesn't help. Nobody is going to change their behavior because they got insulted.
The problem I have with this comment is people WERE MAKING a huge effort to **** this up for everyone in America. You had the BLM Douchebags then the Right Wing Freaks and everyone else flying with no mask and flouting the safety protocols. IT COULD have led to a different outcome if the trash that festered was dealt with immediately or ANYTIME at all. Yet we still allow " Peaceful" protest and holding up vaccine lines with no repercussions.

At the very least rubber bullets or water canons should have been used >>> at the very beginning. Those early protests and events set the precedence for all the fun stuff that followed .

You can say we earned it ! AND we still haven't learned from out mistakes. SHAME on us.

Burn AMERICA >>>> BURN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,081,615 times
Turn against each other in what way?

I have never seen people be so crazy over political views. I fully blame the 24 hour news feeds. I honestly blame media feeds for all our divisions at the level they are now. I don't feel it is COVID at all as I think normally that would pull people more together. I think the hyped media is just making people miserable. COVID is a world event and ALL are really in a similar situation. We pulled together for 9/11 very well until the Iraq thing, but I think things are just different with EVERYONE including the dumbest of dumb and poorest of poor can afford a smartphone. Sorry, but not everyone is going to handle that much feed all day long. I see it all the time where people get into a subject like race and feed on it for weeks, months and years over and over finding things to make them angry. This is why IMHO we are the way we are. Not COVID. In a natural state we would pull together. I also feel things like BLM pull people apart as it separates a group that the Gen Xer's were always taught to just treat everyone the same. Now we are told we have "white privilege" and we should be embarrassed about being white. All this comes into play as well.

COVID isn't it IMHO. What the media is doing to us is.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 AM

24,870 posts, read 9,623,213 times
You mean people who are asked to stay 6 feet away from eachother, wear masks, stay bored at home, and refrain from mass gatherings are becoming more socially distant and cold?

Wow, shocking.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:40 AM

5,821 posts, read 3,906,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have never seen people be so crazy over political views. I fully blame the 24 hour news feeds. I honestly blame media feeds for all our divisions at the level they are now. I don't feel it is COVID at all as I think normally that would pull people more together. I think the hyped media is just making people miserable. COVID is a world event and ALL are really in a similar situation..
Unlike with 9/11, we are NOT "in this together". We're not even in the same boat. But we're in the same massive storm for sure. Only the elites enacting lockdowns, mask mandates, and social distancing laws---as well as their favored groups---have aircraft carriers with computerized stabilizers and navigation. While the working grunts and small business owners have canoes.

Covid isn't an outside attack, like the 9/11 hijackers. Well, it kind of is, since it came from abroad. But it's more like a beast amongst us all, like the Beast in "Lord of the Flies". And every boy had a different way of dealing with the Beast. (Hmm... not unlike the Dems and the Reps in dealing with Covid.) The conflict continued, with Piggy and Simon getting killed, until Ralph himself became the hunted beast. He was almost killed too, but a naval officer came in the nick of time, and order was restored. The parallel ends there: the Covid vaccine is here, but nothing's going back to normal.

Covid isn't a blatantly visible beast like 9/11. Because it's a hidden beast, it's more like "Lord of the Flies".

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-11-2021 at 04:52 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 06:54 AM

933 posts, read 504,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Except I responded to/quoted you. Or are you stating you're a politician now? :-)
Sure man, I'm a politician. Whatever you want to believe.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:55 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,114,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You mean people who are asked to stay 6 feet away from eachother, wear masks, stay bored at home, and refrain from mass gatherings are becoming more socially distant and cold?

Wow, shocking.
I agree, especially if you include those who lost their jobs in the "stay bored at home" category.

There's a lot of truth to the adage that an idle mind is the devil's playground.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:57 AM

30,334 posts, read 11,959,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Not only are people dying from this virus everyday but people everywhere are being divided in two.

I see lots of people let the virus basically divide everyone and unable to work together as a society?

Those divisions were there and have been growing over the years. The pandemic just brought them front and center. Add to it with the pandemic during an election year politicians on both sides used it as politics against the other side.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:02 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,128,729 times
The media is largely responsible, insinuating that personal choices (like not wearing masks, not social distancing etc) are killing grannies and keeping us locked down.

So 50% of people feel controlled and just want to be left the F alone, and the other 50% of paranoiacs think that maskless guy, or that party of teenagers will give them 'rona and kill them.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:05 AM

30,334 posts, read 11,959,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Covid isn't a blatantly visible beast like 9/11. Because it's a hidden beast, it's more like "Lord of the Flies".
I think there is a lot of cynicism from post 9/11. Sure most came together united against the attacks. Then the US goes out and lies to the American public starts two wars, one which had zero connection to 9/11 and the two wars ended up costing more American lives than 9/11 and solved nothing in the big picture. That is what happens when 80%+ of the population supports the commander in chief.

There is also the difference that Bush was just a few months into his first term. Not everyone had formed an opinion of him. Trump was 3 years in. And most people were on one side or the other. A pandemic was not going to change that.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,081,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Unlike with 9/11, we are NOT "in this together". We're not even in the same boat. But we're in the same massive storm for sure. Only the elites enacting lockdowns, mask mandates, and social distancing laws---as well as their favored groups---have aircraft carriers with computerized stabilizers and navigation. While the working grunts and small business owners have canoes.

Covid isn't an outside attack, like the 9/11 hijackers. Well, it kind of is, since it came from abroad. But it's more like a beast amongst us all, like the Beast in "Lord of the Flies". And every boy had a different way of dealing with the Beast. (Hmm... not unlike the Dems and the Reps in dealing with Covid.) The conflict continued, with Piggy and Simon getting killed, until Ralph himself became the hunted beast. He was almost killed too, but a naval officer came in the nick of time, and order was restored. The parallel ends there: the Covid vaccine is here, but nothing's going back to normal.

These are good points. I also think COVID is VERY different in each state. I live in a ultra-left style governed state of Pennsylvania and we have shut things down to the point most places are closed for good all over this state, of course unless you are a big box, grocery or huge chain restaurant. All the small places are done for the most part. In contrast when I visited Florida and Georgia (not Atlanta), places were still open and the little places are surviving okay. Very different.

I think we need to get back into the COVID part and how it is effecting us. I think you need to be at least 45 years old to get my point because you are old enough to have lived in a time without what I am typing on. If you are 55 or older you will really get it because you can even remember TV being a few channels and news was only 1/2 hour local and 1/2 hour world and it was a public service. Way back then there were rules about news and there was the fairness doctrine. TV wasn't watched all that much to be honest. Now look at today for contrast. My point was smartphones are in the hands of people that would be very easily led into very bad directions. Extreme thinking, echo-chambers and really bad feeds. Are there any "good feeds"?

We are living in a time when humans are the guinea pigs/lab mice and it is unprecedented in human history. So what if COVID happened in 1970? We would tune into our local news channel and listen to doctors and we would do our best. People would be more together, IMHO. With a hyped up media machine pounding at us at every second via our smartphones we have no breaks unless you fall asleep or have a job that you have no phone access. People are going crazy as we can see. My focus isn't on COVID at all. It is on how people are reacting due to their feeds. I look at it like a Star Trek Next Generation episode called "The Game". Or a movie like "Nightcrawler".

I want to bring up a media example media that changed me forever. CNN and really about all news outlets reported a young school kid wearing a MEGA hate disrespecting a Native American. Did that really happen at all? The kids waiting for a bus in DC. What really happened compared to what was reported on our feeds? It shows you at how the media is playing us and how powerful they really are. I'll never forget that case involving Black Hebrew Israelites verbally assaulting those kids for just being white. We are talking school kids waiting or a bus! If they aren't off limits, no one is. What is this doing to our brains? Seems we are finding out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies