Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 PM

358 posts, read 224,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The eyes have it all.

Sharing a smile vs sharing droplets. Easy life and death decision.

I agree that people can tell when somebody is smiling with mask on. I have smiled many times and gotten a response like the person saw my smile. A little girl in the store for sure caught my smile in her direction as she pulled her mask down and smiled while waving from the shopping cart much to her mothers discomfort. So yes the eyes must have it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 10:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 4,501,208 times
The place I've noticed it more in particular is when driving. I see more instance per traffic volume of aggressive driving behavior than ever. I surmise it's frustrated shut in people having fewer options for 'getting out and about' and when they do it seems any little thing triggers this aggressive driving pattern from suburban roads to highways. Noticeable to me because traffic in general seems much lighter but when the drivers are out and about seems they are easier ticked and I'm only observing as third party. No one has done it to me directly - only my personal observation of others.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,302,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yup. Wow, people are waaaaaaay more screwed-up than I ever imagined they were. Pretty depressing.
You aren't kidding. And that cuts across racial or political or ethnic lines.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:46 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,140,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
I agree that people can tell when somebody is smiling with mask on. I have smiled many times and gotten a response like the person saw my smile. A little girl in the store for sure caught my smile in her direction as she pulled her mask down and smiled while waving from the shopping cart much to her mothers discomfort. So yes the eyes must have it all.
What kind of mask was involved? That may be a difference as well.

Me, I have shifted away entirely from over the ears to a surgical tie style.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:21 AM

12,142 posts, read 8,532,725 times
I see the signs of societal stress in a lot of forgetfulness and mistakes being made. But I've noticed that here in southern MN people have become increasingly more friendly and kind to each other. I've also noticed more laughing and encouraging lifting of spirits when I have to go out and run my errands.

I've lived here a long time and it used to be more like this. I'm glad to see that people are re-learning the value of the small pleasures of life and a sense of community. It will benefit us all and is actually good for the immune system, besides.

I did scare a little girl in the fabric store this week when I talked to her. Had to tell her I was smiling at her. Some people are less able to read facial expressions than others and the masks really do hamper the ability.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:26 AM

933 posts, read 504,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Too funny i.e. 'it's not political' for you. Sure. :-)
He's (and other politicians) made it political, but it shouldn't be.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:15 AM

6,925 posts, read 9,465,507 times
I tend to place more of a blame on social media than COVID, as this divide we’re talking about has existed for awhile, but IMO is amplified by social media, since it gives everyone a platform to post about what they think or feel 24/7, if they choose. And most of us are stuck at home because of COVID. I closed my social media accounts, but on some level I guess that means I prefer to be ignorant of what some of my friends -really- think about things. Whether it’s the far-left Karen who posts about how much she “believes science” (only when she agrees with it) or the far-right friend who posts about a conspiracy theory related to masks, I’d prefer to just not know.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 02-10-2021 at 10:23 AM..

Old 02-10-2021, 11:51 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,140,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I tend to place more of a blame on social media than COVID, as this divide we’re talking about has existed for awhile, but IMO is amplified by social media, since it gives everyone a platform to post about what they think or feel 24/7, if they choose. And most of us are stuck at home because of COVID. I closed my social media accounts, but on some level I guess that means I prefer to be ignorant of what some of my friends -really- think about things. Whether it’s the far-left Karen who posts about how much she “believes science” (only when she agrees with it) or the far-right friend who posts about a conspiracy theory related to masks, I’d prefer to just not know.
Me, I am trying to play "submarine games" more and more.....but the Net is contagious and we just want to keep scrolling. This morning, I wrote down those in my diary whose pages I would want to check to see what was going on....but held back adding the name of a dear friend for she is out spoken on politics.

Ideally, it would be to come to the surface to make my morning check in and reports, set a time to check those friend pages, and in the evening to make my evening check in, and then, stay off the Net.......

......but can we? Can we especially for those of us who have no others to talk to who are human?

Old 02-10-2021, 12:13 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,891,216 times
I am very suspicious of Fauci or any govt leaders. There have been credible sources that have differing opinions and I will not discount them in favor of the CDC and especially WHO. Yes, I do wear a mask when going in public buildings but not when I am outside walking. I will take the shots when they call me ( I am on the list).

Biden did weaponize the virus to his advantage. I also agree that this country has been divided way before Trump as well. GWB and Gore or maybe even the Viet Nam war was beginning of this. The circus going on in Washington is certainly not helping matters or going to convince the 74 + million that voted for Trump to forget him. Sleepy Joe is not going to be any "uniter". He is mostly giving the third finger to those Trump voters.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:36 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,454,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Biden did weaponize the virus to his advantage.
You mean he used the current Covid situation to his advantage during an election year. How did he weaponize the virus ???? Who did he infect and what were his motives for doing "it" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies