Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 03:10 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,770,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Again, we are not China, and they don't have the freedoms we have. Requiring a vaccination passport in the midst of a pandemic isn't egregious IMO. It's just smart.
Please help me make sense out of holding these two opinions simultaneously:
  1. Picture ID required to vote is an unconscionable violation of human and Constitutional Rights.
  2. Requiring a Vaccine Passport in order to do even the most basic things in life completely fine, acceptable and violates nobody's rights.

Well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 03:11 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,892,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
She said in the video that the vaccine passport is the same thing as the Chinese social credit system.
Her opinion.

China is a communist country. The U.S. is not. That being said, our government and corporations already know way more about us than they should.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:13 PM

30,926 posts, read 37,123,527 times
Quote:
Again, we are not China, and they don't have the freedoms we have. Requiring a vaccination passport in the midst of a pandemic isn't egregious IMO. It's just smart.
What you're not getting is the system is a platform that can easily be added on to. And they will. That's what they do with every crisis. It won't stop with a Covid vaccine. It will always be justified in the name of health and safety or some other emergency. It always is. If you don't see that, then you don't know history.

Just because we have the freedoms on paper in our Constitution doesn't mean will will have them in practice.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Please help me make sense out of holding these two opinions simultaneously:
  1. Picture ID required to vote is an unconscionable violation of human and Constitutional Rights.
  2. Requiring a Vaccine Passport in order to do even the most basic things in life completely fine, acceptable and violates nobody's rights.

Well?
I have no opinion on the picture ID required for voting. Never have.

Please tell me how you expect a vaccine passport to prevent you from doing even the most basic things in life. Because that's a stretch.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What you're not getting is the system is a platform that can easily be added on to. And they will. That's what they do with every crisis. It won't stop with a Covid vaccine. It will always be justified in the name of health and safety or some other emergency. It always is. If you don't see that, then you don't know history.

Just because we have the freedoms on paper in our Constitution doesn't mean will will have them in practice.
What history are you talking about? Nazi Germany? Other governments? I have seen people on this forum scream about civil liberties being taken away, or freedoms being taken away for years now. As far as I'm aware people have the freedoms they always have. I don't consider measures taken to mitigate the spread of a pandemic to equate to losing freedoms. That's where all this is coming from.

If you're worried about being surveilled, lied to, manipulated, you're years too late. Funny how NOW all of a sudden, it's a problem.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Her opinion.
And mine as well.

Quote:
China is a communist country. The U.S. is not.
The differences between the two are increasingly in name only. That will be even more true if we allow vaccine passports.

Quote:
That being said, our government and corporations already know way more about us than they should.
Yes, exactly.

And if we just go along in the name of "security" or "it's an emergency", well....they will keep on imposing more and more restrictions and control measures on everyone. All you have to do is look at the increasing surveillance and information they already have on us (by your own admission). If you said this to someone 30 years ago that this would happen, most people would have dismissed it. Now we just accept it as normal and ok or are sort of resigned to it like it's inevitable even if we don't like it.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:23 PM

13,725 posts, read 9,825,060 times
Quote:
I don't consider measures taken to mitigate the spread of a pandemic to equate to losing freedoms.
Well, that's the crux of our disagreement, is it not?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
And mine as well.

The differences between the two are increasingly in name only. That will be even more true if we allow vaccine passports.

Yes, exactly.

And if we just go along in the name of "security" or "it's an emergency", well....they will keep on imposing more and more restrictions and control measures on everyone. All you have to do is look at the increasing surveillance and information they already have on us (by your own admission). If you said this to someone 30 years ago that this would happen, most people would have dismissed it. Now we just accept it as normal and ok or are sort of resigned to it like it's inevitable even if we don't like it.
I'm sorry, I'm not getting my panties in a wad because I need a vaccine passport to travel. Not gonna happen. Sure, the government knows all about me. Have I lost one freedom that I wanted to have? No. I can still go and do whatever I want to do. Things were limited during the pandemic for sure, but that's to be expected. Nope, won't buy into all the vaccine passport hysteria.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:24 PM

12,685 posts, read 6,770,455 times
Quote:
I have no opinion on the picture ID required for voting. Never have.

Please tell me how you expect a vaccine passport to prevent you from doing even the most basic things in life. Because that's a stretch.
I expect I can get one easily enough. I'm scheduled for my second Pfizer dose on the 9th. My wife will get the J&J vaccine tomorrow. So while I can get the silly thing easily enough, I do find it creepy that going to the grocery store, boarding a train or plane, or going and doing pretty much anything in life, I will be expected to "Show my papers!!" That just feels weird to me. I'll do it because there's nothing stopping me. I don't think it's a reasonable requirement for people wanting to go about their lives normally. If my job requires me to travel, then getting on a plane is part of my normal life. It has been suggested denying people from shops and stores without their Vaccine Passport. That's pretty normal everyday life stuff there. As the range of things requiring a Vaccine Passport broadens, you will undoubtedly be stopped just walking down the street by a police officer angrily demanding to see your Vaccine Passport.

As to Voter ID, the vast majority of people who are enthusiastically supporting Vaccine Passports are also people who become apoplectic with rage when anyone even suggests that Photo ID should be required in order to vote. My point remains, but is directed at those holding these two insanely contradictory viewpoints.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 04-02-2021 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: stupid typos

Old 04-02-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
What history are you talking about? Nazi Germany? Other governments?
All of the above. I'm betting you'll probably agree the corporations and big business have more info. on us than the Nazis could have dreamed of.

Quote:
I have seen people on this forum scream about civil liberties being taken away, or freedoms being taken away for years now..
And they have been.

Quote:
As far as I'm aware people have the freedoms they always have.
If people are under constant surveillance by the government--and we are--then, no, they don't.

Quote:
I don't consider measures taken to mitigate the spread of a pandemic to equate to losing freedoms. That's where all this is coming from..
Then you are willfully blind.

Quote:
If you're worried about being surveilled, lied to, manipulated, you're years too late. Funny how NOW all of a sudden, it's a problem.
It isn't "all of a sudden" for me, so please don't make such assumptions. I've been warning people for years. But most of them have "I don't really like it but it's not that big a deal" type attitudes like yours, unfortunately.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-02-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies