Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,617,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
For what its worth, California Supreme Court justices, unlike US Supreme Court Justices, have to face the voters every twelve years and can be voted out of office. Therefore, although initially appointed, they are still subject to the electorate.
Yea, the chief judge who wrote the pro-gay marriage pronouncement was appointed by Reagan!

Old 05-17-2008, 02:40 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,834,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockj View Post
Hmmm...since I don't have the right to marry, your right to marry is not the same as mine.

I don't define myself by my sexuality either. Unfortunately, it's others who do that.
But you do have the right to marry same as everyone else the law is the same for everyone. Just as you have the same right as everyone else to own a firearm, but if you decide that you really have a thing for RPG'S, that doesnt mean you dont have the same right to a firearm as everyone else, it means you want something special above and beyond everyone else. Of course you define yourself by your sexuality, otherwise we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,622,279 times
Quote:
Just because people voted on it doesn't make it constitutional and I am sure they had some say in that as well. If the two are incompatible, then, yes, the voters are wrong and need proper guidance.
LOL I admire your honesty. In fact, you oughta get up a petition to abolish the legislature and the petition process and the vote of the people and just make the 9th Circuit Court the final judge of whatever the issue might be.

Only thing I ask is to keep it out in fruit and nut land, ok?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I admire your honesty. In fact, you oughta get up a petition to abolish the legislature and the petition process and the vote of the people and just make the 9th Circuit Court the final judge of whatever the issue might be.

Yea, better among fruits than rednecks, right?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM

48 posts, read 103,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
But you do have the right to marry same as everyone else the law is the same for everyone. Just as you have the same right as everyone else to own a firearm, but if you decide that you really have a thing for RPG'S, that doesnt mean you dont have the same right to a firearm as everyone else, it means you want something special above and beyond everyone else. Of course you define yourself by your sexuality, otherwise we wouldnt be having this conversation.
The firearms discussion is irrelevant.

I'm having this discussion because I don't want to government dictating the sex of the person I can marry or anyone else, not because I define myself by my sexuality. I want to be able to marry the person I want to marry because of my commitment and devotion to that person and my desire to build a family with that person and be afforded the same rights and benefits that are given by law to married couples and families.

If it's a question of "special" rights, heterosexuals are the ones who are being given "special" rights. Why should only heterosexuals be given these "special" rights while others are denied them because of who they choose to marry? This is an equality issue. Heterosexuals should not be given "special" rights. These "special" rights should be extended to include those that want same sex partners.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 PM

48 posts, read 103,091 times
Quote:

Only if all the backward, redneck laws and amendments are kept in cracker barrel land.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,622,279 times
Quote:
Only if all the backward, redneck laws and amendments are kept in cracker barrel land.
LOL I guess so. When it come to that sorta stuff...name calling "redneck" "bigot", "homophobe"...whatever...I just laugh and say, hey, have yerself a good one, ya heah? LOL

BUT...speaking of cracker barrell...reminds me of suppertime...either I need to cook it or go to Cracker Barrell...

Fried okra and black-eyed peas....steamin' hot turnip greans....chicken and catfish on the platter....mashed taters..... and it don't matter, Cornbread with butter, and gravy and grits, eat it up, y'all...aand watch them 'nits.

Ok...it didnt rhyme. It tried though!

Y'all have a good one. I have spoken my piece here! No hard feelings...just an exchange of opinions, far as I am concerned!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:22 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,834,370 times
Quote:
The firearms discussion is irrelevant.

I'm having this discussion because I don't want to government dictating the sex of the person I can marry or anyone else, not because I define myself by my sexuality. I want to be able to marry the person I want to marry because of my commitment and devotion to that person and my desire to build a family with that person and be afforded the same rights and benefits that are given by law to married couples and families.

If it's a question of "special" rights, heterosexuals are the ones who are being given "special" rights. Why should only heterosexuals be given these "special" rights while others are denied them because of who they choose to marry? This is an equality issue. Heterosexuals should not be given "special" rights. These "special" rights should be extended to include those that want same sex partners.
Well there you have it! Sorry , the government dictates a lot of things, it says we cant murder people, does that infringe on murder's rights? says we cant sell drugs to minors, does that mean the drug dealers rights are being violated? It is not an equality issue, you choose to do something different than everyone else, so you want the law to be changed for you, its that simple, but no one has taken anything away from you anymore than they have someone who wants 3 wives, to marry their mom, or their dog, you made the decision that you would not marry by full well knowing, that two lesbians could not get married. Hey , look that one chick Anne Heche or what ever her name is , she was a Lesbian, then when she decided that being married was more important she went out found herself a man, magicly she all of a sudden had the same right as everyone else!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
My right to marry is not special, it is the same as yours and everyone else in this country, nothing special about it. I can see that YOU take yourself very seriously, but I am doubtful that anyone else does, based on the last sentence of your post!
You are correct I have never been denied ANYTHING because of my sexuality , because I do not define myself by my sexuality!
But other people, such as employers, would want to define you as gay, if you are gay, and in doing so want the right to show you the door. This where the need for gay rights comes from.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
LOL I guess so. When it come to that sorta stuff...name calling "redneck" "bigot", "homophobe"...whatever...I just laugh and say, hey, have yerself a good one, ya heah? LOL

BUT...speaking of cracker barrell...reminds me of suppertime...either I need to cook it or go to Cracker Barrell...

Fried okra and black-eyed peas....steamin' hot turnip greans....chicken and catfish on the platter....mashed taters..... and it don't matter, Cornbread with butter, and gravy and grits, eat it up, y'all...aand watch them 'nits.

Ok...it didnt rhyme. It tried though!

Y'all have a good one. I have spoken my piece here! No hard feelings...just an exchange of opinions, far as I am concerned!
Hey quite bringing food into the discussion [you're making me hungry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies