Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not unless they government forces passages dealing with homosexuality to be removed from the Bible or re-written. There is no clear indication that the curse was black skin - thats what the racists wanted to believe. However, this passage is as clear as day.

Romans 1:25-27: They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
Well, first of all, if I were to engage in an exegetic argument with you, we would have to refer back to the original Greek text. No English translation would be sufficient. Since I have neither the inclination nor the ability to do so, I'll just say that the interpretation is not so clear cut, and scholarly experts can and do disagree. Not surprisingly liberal theologians tend to come to different conclusions than conservative theologism. I'm sure 100 years ago racist theologians were absolutely convinced that their interpretation of Genesis was clear cut and indisputable.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
I think eventually all states will recognize gay marriage, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

By CLIFFORD KRAUSS
Published: June 19, 2003
Canada's decision to allow marriage between same-sex couples is only one of many signs that this once tradition-bound society is undergoing social change at an astonishing rate.
Increasingly, Canada has been on a social policy course pursued by many Western European and Scandinavian countries, and over the last few decades it has been moving gradually more out of step with the United States.
Even as the government announced on Tuesday that it would rewrite the definition of marriage, it was also in the process of transforming its drug policies by decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana and, to combat disease, permitting ''safe-injection'' clinics in Vancouver, British Columbia, for heroin addicts.

As far as the ease with which society changes, Canada is virtually in a category by itself.

Gay Marriage Plan: Sign of Sweeping Social Change in Canada - New York Times

Old 05-17-2008, 10:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,261,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Well, first of all, if I were to engage in an exegetic argument with you, we would have to refer back to the original Greek text. No English translation would be sufficient. Since I have neither the inclination nor the ability to do so, I'll just say that the interpretation is not so clear cut, and scholarly experts can and do disagree. Not surprisingly liberal theologians tend to come to different conclusions than conservative theologism. I'm sure 100 years ago racist theologians were absolutely convinced that their interpretation of Genesis was clear cut and indisputable.

Even as a white person, it offends me people continually compare their sexual hedonism to something such as race. The way you live your life has no comparison to the color of somebody's skin. My friend is an alcoholic, but there's no convincing me that he should be in a seperate class of people just because hes an alcoholic. Its the same way with homosexuals.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corker View Post
Question: Aside from the religion/biblical aspect of gay marriage, why are people against gay marriage? I have a friend who is not religious but can't stand the gays. I was appalled when I found out but she can't give me an answer except for "it's disgusting."

Also, Christians say, "even nature will tell you it's wrong". Uh, I see male dogs humping male dogs. They don't care as long as it feels good.

I do NOT think we have ANY right whatsoever to tell two human beings who are of age that they should not marry.
That's because there is no reason to be against it. It will not have any affect on heterosexual marriage. It will not affect anyone except for those who do it.
I can see if you don't want the ceremony to be performed in your church, if your church's interpretation of the bible says it is not allowed, but no should stop two gay people from getting married wherever they can.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Even as a white person, it offends me people continually compare their sexual hedonism to something such as race. The way you live your life has no comparison to the color of somebody's skin. My friend is an alcoholic, but there's no convincing me that he should be in a seperate class of people just because hes an alcoholic. Its the same way with homosexuals.
Hey, its a free country, you're entitled to your beliefs and your prejudices. I'm just pointing out the similarities I see.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 05-17-2008 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,683 times
Quote:
I believe race is a social construct, but that is beside the point.

"Sexual hedonism" and "homosexuality" are not synonymous. I thought we were talking about legalization of same-sex marriage, not hedonism.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:01 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Quote:
Please share with us one of your sexual hedonism [you remember the little boner!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:04 AM

335 posts, read 1,029,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The California Supreme Court struck down the ban against same sex marriage & has ruled gays can marry.

California is the second state to allow gay marriage after Massachusetts.
Do not count your chickens before they hatch my mom always said. CA is already working to appeal the witty and well thought statements made on behalf of homosexuals. I myself am am a very good friend of someone who has been with their "partner for 11 years" and they are elated and excited, I hope for their sake this is the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Exactly. I just can't wait for the "next someone will want to marry their dog" comments.
Silly rabbit tricks are for kids! lol! How can they possibly have a union if the dog cannot say "I do" unless they are scooby doo.
Sorry I could not resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
It will be appealed.
Perhaps...but do not count on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Now the question is, does other states have to recognize this marriage? I thought California had enough problems let alone creating more..
If you think this is the problem than surely you are not aware of the more important crisis we have at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Why does this bother so many people? I was raised Catholic, but that doesn't mean all others need to abide by my beliefs or the majority by any matter.

People need to let adults live their lives, worry about yourselves, your family, and mind your own business.

Is it that important that gay people cannot show their love for each other by getting married? I don't think God would want it any other way IMO, times change.
God is not a drill sergeant.
I agree! I am catholic as well! And I have seen unions and divorces amoung those whom are free to marry make a mockery of marriage by throwing in the towel simply because they fell out of love! Palllllease!~The main idea for ths marriage is obvious two people should be allowed to be recognized as a couple regardless as well as the the more practical decisions...
Insurance
taxes
wills

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
The homosexuals are only 2% of the population,we should not waste time,energy & political capital on a small & harmless community,mostly law abiding,HIV burdened,under constant psychological stress & hardship.

They only want to control their own marriages,not ours.

Why should we control their own marriages...?

I say marry & let others marry too...
I am confused perhaps you were being sarcastic but you are wrong! You remind me of the idio christian pastor/politician who went ahead and made a ass of himself by stating that hiv (at the time was reffered to as grid) was the lords way of refuting gay relationships! The truth? Nobody can boast as to where this auto immune disease actually originated! Geez so many theories, the green monkey, a military experiment, it was genetically engineered to cure, blah blah! The rapid spread in this counry was vastly attributed to the bath houses in San Francisco however who is to say that some of these men were not bi and had had hetero sex with females that did nt use BC? Currently? Demos? Are 25 yr old women whom are heterosexual and iv drug users, catch up.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:35 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well obviously we see that just about anything could happen in California. You can try to smoke sombody else out about what the Bible says about Homosexuality, but I wont waste my time, plenty of others are covering it quite well. I will stick to the pretty solid argument that, "One man's an*s was not designed by God, mother nature, evolution or Darwin himself to have another Man's pen*s being a ramrod up there" We certainly dont need the states officially recognizing or sanctioning that type of bizzare behavior!
Then why does it fit?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
In that context, it would be more accurate to define "we" as the media.

No one I know or have ever known has any first-hand knowledge of any organization abusing children.

Perhaps we move in different circles.
I don't need to actually stick my hand into a fire to discover "first hand" that it's hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies