Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 07:22 PM

6,309 posts, read 3,014,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Some of the people who want to restrict abortion consider the Plan B pill to be an abortion. They want to ban that too.
State House Representative's in Louisiana tried that, and the bill did not get out of the Republican-led State House... Contraception will not be banned, and neither will 'Plan B'...

13,307 posts, read 8,556,114 times
Passing the buck back to the states.
Which have for years in some dug deep to ban this medical choice.
Read the final decision. Actually has some fair talking points...

We were warned thru the leak. Maybe it' was to ease the inevitable .

My genes are my choice. Not the govt. End of debate.

24,967 posts, read 9,706,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
For those who are relieved about Roe being overturned, I hope that you will push hard for safety net services, including childcare programs, affordable housing, healthcare/counseling/drug treatment, food for families, and general safety measures to protect kids who may be brought up in abusive homes.
All those programs already exist.

But thank you for assuming there aren’t enough social programs in America, or that women who want an abortion simply can’t cross state lines or take a pill to do it.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,652,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Some of the people who want to restrict abortion consider the Plan B pill to be an abortion. They want to ban that too.

that's ridiculous where I am against abortion after a certain point I think all contraception should be on the table. plan b is contraception. i consider myself a libertarian.

38,750 posts, read 22,540,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are missing the point entirely. The STATES part is as important as the “United” part.

What is a “state”?

“A state is a political division of a body of people that occupies a territory defined by frontiers. The state is sovereign in its territory (also referred to as jurisdiction) and has the authority to enforce a system of rules over the people living inside it.

“The United States as a country is considered a sovereign state before the international community. Furthermore, the United States is divided into fifty sovereign states…

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/state

Did you ever consider why we have 50 different governors, state legislatures, state highway patrols, state education guidelines, state national guards, state borders, etc.? We aren’t just being cutesy with 50 different names where people live. The states are geopolitical entities in and of themselves.

We are “United” in our language, currency, common defense, and those specific things enumerated in the Constitution.

Literally EVERYTHING ELSE is left to the states. That is what today’s ruling was about.

Indeed. Well said.

Poor women can still get free birth control.
The left only want tyranny of rule, one all-powerful central governing body to control EVERYONE, and EVERYTHING they do. No freedom to live as you want in your state. Nope! You must live the way the left demand of you.

3,197 posts, read 2,863,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Kentucky for one. I could look up the rest.
Kentucky is forcing people to become pregnant? How does that work? Do they said fertile rapists to random people's house to impregnated any woman that lives there???

Old 06-24-2022, 07:25 PM

18,008 posts, read 15,712,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
For those who are relieved about Roe being overturned, I hope that you will push hard for safety net services, including childcare programs, affordable housing, healthcare/counseling/drug treatment, food for families, and general safety measures to protect kids who may be brought up in abusive homes.

Of course, such safety net services aren’t free and require tax revenue. And please don’t suggest that someone needs to pass a drug test or be an American citizen in order to qualify for them—because then it isn’t about the child or sanctity of life, is it?
I dont see being a citizen as a qualifying factor being an unreasonable requirement to qualify for services that are taxpayer funded. But I'm not basing my closely guarded views on abortion on the sanctity of life or women's rights. It's not about either. Not for me anyway.

A drug test doesn't seem out of line either. If the woman is on drugs shes doing possibly irreparable harm to the baby. Harm that in the long run could be worse for the child than if it is aborted.

So if shes asking for services that revolve around that baby then she needs to actually show she gives a $h!t about it to begin with. These answers btw are solely addressing your hypothetical situation. They have nothing to do with a stance on abortion either way.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:32 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,648,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Kentucky is forcing people to become pregnant? How does that work? Do they said fertile rapists to random people's house to impregnated any woman that lives there???
Ever heard of rape or incest? The State forcing a women to carry a pregnancy full term no matter what is tyranny. Plain and simple.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:32 PM

1,799 posts, read 567,871 times
Just a few thoughts from watching all of this as an independent who doesn't really care much either way about the issue.

The pics of pro choice people wailing, pulling their hair out, and crying on each others shoulders is hilarious . You would have thought it was a group of people finding out their school bus full of kids had just driven over a cliff. Really, you need to cry and scream because you might have to travel a few hours in the future to get your abortion? Geez, get a life.

Its always hilarious to see how the justices you disagree with are always "partisan hacks". Somehow the ones you like and agree with are never partisan hacks even when they themselves decide cases along party lines.

Despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, this really changes nothing substantial. If you total up all the abortions in 2020, 80% of them took place in states that have no plans to ban abortions. The 20% simply have to travel a few hours to a state close by. If this is too much trouble for someone because they don't want to suffer the consequences of their choices, then make better choices. Or travel the 5 hrs to a state that will give you an abortion. Maybe the trip there and back will make you consider the benefits of contraception better. There will also be abortion pills.

Now is the time to invest in a company that makes abortion pills.

For all of their talk about not wanting abortions to happen any more than conservatives, liberals get a lot more of them. A lot. There is a direct correlation between being a blue state and having a high percentage of abortions per population . The ONLY state to top 20% of pregnancies being terminated by abortion that isn't a blue state is Georgia. All the rest are blue states, 14 of them, to 1 red state. Unsurprisingly , DC has the highest abortion rate. Amazingly though, it tops 50% of all pregnancies . 50%!.

If , as someone here suggested,you have to plan where to live based on your ability to get an abortion, you have problems. And the availability of abortion is the least of them. Take a closer look at your life and ask yourself why this would even need to play a part in your decision.

Perhaps this ruling might make people consider taking better steps to actual prevent the need for an abortion. I think something like over 95% of all abortions are what is termed convenience abortions, meaning there was no rape, incest, or medical necessity. I'm guessing here from memory, so I might have to stand corrected. But I think I am close. Maybe those 95% will put more thought into their choices.

Despite the protests here otherwise, RBG thought Roe v Wade was a bad decision. She considered it wrong on two fronts. One, the right to privacy did not exist as claimed in Roe v Wade, and she realized this, and realized this would always make it subject to revision because it was built on faulty reasoning not supported by the text of the Constitution. She was prescient here. She thought the grounds for abortion should be equal rights, which is supported by the Constitution. She also felt Roe V Wade short circuited public debate and policy on the issue. She was of the opinion that if abortion was left to be debated across the decades by society as a whole that the right to abortion would eventually become enshrined in law through the legislative process. It was her opinion that Roe V Wade eliminated this debate and kept progress on the issue from happening.

There is a lot of idiotic BS being flung by those upset with todays ruling.

The world will not end tomorrow

Last edited by NatesDude; 06-24-2022 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,023,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In other words, the responsible people have to clean up after the irresponsible ones. Because the fact is, well over 90 percent of unwanted pregnancies are due to two irresponsible people having sex.
Banning abortion just promotes more generations of irresponsible people.

Society can leave them to wallow in poverty or try to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies