Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 08:15 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Goodness, do not tell your children that. You might scare them with the thought that you would have had no problem killing them, if you so chose to...
My children are aware that I had an abortion before they were born, and they know why. My pregnancy was diagnosed with a severe congenital defect, which their father and I decided together to terminate after seeking opinions from experts in perinatology and pediatric neurology. It is important for our children to understand our family's health history as they face decisions about whether or not to pursue pregnancy or adoption should they wish to become parents. Get it now?

6,019 posts, read 2,840,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I find the Republican party's ideals distasteful overall but they have admirable strength and loyalty the Democratic party lacks. But for all the power and shrewdness the Republican party demonstrates, I'm mystified by this. Overturning Roe was a terrible move politically, or at least awful timing. The SC has become politicized and all this decision will accomplish is angering undecided voters, possibly tilting elections toward the Democrats' favor.

Loyal Republicans are already loyal. The SC chooses when to hear cases and which ones to hear. So why now? The lousy economy alone was enough to be a GOP slam dunk for the midterms. Even Trump said the GOP should leave Roe alone; overturning it would not gain supporters.
Following the Constitution trumps elections, in my opinion. Either we follow the Constitution, or we do not...

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
But don't they have up to 15 weeks to abort or take the morning after pill?

The first month of missing her period and taking the home pregnancy test makes it easy to know well in advance if she is pregnant.
In which state? It's going to depend on the state law, which will vary. Oklahoma's new law prohibits abortion after fertilization, which would make the morning after pill already too late. (The law does make an exception for medical emergencies, and rape/incest provided it was reported to the police).

Old 06-24-2022, 08:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How much federal money are we going to save?
None.

Federal money has never gone for abortions. Reference: Hyde Amendment.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Funny/ironic how all the people protesting have been born and have not been aborted. the fetus cannot speak but im sure the fetus would be anti-abortion. At even 16 weeks, when a doctor is committing an abortion, and sticks the needle toward the fetus to abort it, the fetus is shown to be moving AWAY from the needle. He/she can feel pain.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Goodness, do not tell your children that. You might scar them with the thought that you would have had no problem killing them, if you so chose to...
What a ridiculous statement. Both of my children know that I am pro-choice. I know that my biological mother is pro-choice. Many mothers are pro-choice. Where are the scars?

Old 06-24-2022, 08:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Abstinence has always been recommended as the only certain way to avoid conception. The pragmatic response to this SCOTUS decision is for all fertile women to practice abstinence unless they are planning to conceive if they are unable to travel for an abortion. If the only women choosing to have sexual intercourse would be infertile due to natural causes, hysterectomy, or menopause, the result would be that the only unwanted pregnancies would be due to rape or incest, which would be easier to prosecute with the baby's DNA. It would be interesting to see how many pregnancies occur when the mother is below the age of consent.

Of course, the human sex drive is notorious for overwhelming rational thought, so it is unlikely that anything resembling a national sex boycott is unlikely to happen, even though that is what seems to be called for. In any case, abstinence remains the logical choice for a woman who does not want to become pregnant. I don't know if all the husbands and boyfriend's would agree, but it's not their body.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:22 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Thank you I couldn't think of all the reasons why a termination of pregnancy would be necessary after the 4th month. I'm sorry you went through a severe neural tube defect.

It might have to be that the states need to define reasons to terminate pregnancy since the Supreme Court hasn't.

Thank you. My husband and I were thrilled to conceive two healthy children after genetic counseling, who are now grown. My mother is an obstetrician. I spent my childhood listening to her talk about her work and picked up a lot in the process. There are many more complications that warrant termination. Those are just the ones that came immediately to mind.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:23 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
In which state? It's going to depend on the state law, which will vary. Oklahoma's new law prohibits abortion after fertilization, which would make the morning after pill already too late. (The law does make an exception for medical emergencies, and rape/incest provided it was reported to the police).
That is nuts they are not giving any defined circumstances. After fertilization well that isn't that going against what the Supreme Court said? oh but wait they left it up to the states that may allow abortion. They really too the chicken way out of decision.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not necessarily. According to this summary of trigger laws, as published by the Guttmacher Institute, Idaho, Mississippi, and Utah allow abortions in cases where "the pregnant person is a victim of rape and has reported the incident to law enforcement" (their wording). Note that this says that the incident has to be reported to law enforcement; it says nothing about the outcome of any third party investigation. Moreover, North Dakota and Wyoming allow abortions in cases of rape or incest without any mention of a need to report them to law enforcement.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...roe-overturned
Interesting. I predict that there is going to be a sharp rise in cases of reported rape and incest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies