Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 07:45 PM

24,679 posts, read 9,493,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Make no mistake.

The rejoicing is because evangelicals want to make it illegal for any abortion to occur, and they see this as a major victory for them controlling what others can do/not do. The whole "happy it goes to the states" is a smokescreen.

It's about control...theirs. That's always at the core of such an issue.
The political party of mask mandates and vaccines is outraged over government control over ones body.

There’s some irony.

COVID clearly laid the foundation that the government knows what’s best for your own body, according to progressives.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:46 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,155,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
The first thing I thougt was there is a choice but it has to be made before the 4th month. I think that was so there wouldn't be late term abortions.

The problem is what if there is a problem that is discovered after the 4th month? What about the fetus already being gone in the womb or almost gone. There could be circumstances that make terminating the pregnancy after the 4th month but before the 6 or 7th month. I don't know what circumstances there could be offhand but I'm sure there are a few that would require the termination of pregnancy. Sometimes the fetus is gone before birth so it would be cruel to force the woman to keep it inside for 9 months.

Terms of the ruling or law are not defined.

Sadly, there are many maternal and fetal complications that can result in abortion in the second trimester prior to viability. Off the top of my head, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of membranes, placental abruption, and any number of congenital conditions. My personal experience involved a severe neural tube defect.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:48 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,229,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How do you figure? The great majority of abortions are performed for reasons of convenience, as a form of post-fact birth control. In other words, it is a fallback position for people who engage in irresponsible sex. Maybe, just maybe, making such abortions illegal will cause some people to stop and think, given that their bail-out plan would no longer be available to them.
We'll see. I don't think it is necessary to expound as I think this is simply not going to happen. Birth control is far more convenient and inexpensive than abortion. There are already plenty of reasons for someone to choose birth control over abortion. So I don't think there are a lot of people whose behavior is going to be changes by this. What will change is the number of people accessing illegal and dangerous abortions and the number of births and children on the public payroll. Those who can afford to travel for a procedure will.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:48 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
State House Representative's in Louisiana tried that, and the bill did not get out of the Republican-led State House... Contraception will not be banned, and neither will 'Plan B'...
50 states. 50 different sets of laws. You like that the abortion is now in the purview of the states. Kentucky, Alabama, Oklahoma, Mississippi, etc don't have to go along with what Louisiana decided.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:51 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,560,124 times
Convenience? No. Most women who have had abortions contemplate their options very seriously. It's not a matter of convenience. It may be a matter of finances. It may be a matter of resources available (or not) to help raise a child. No one is forcing a woman to get an abortion, but no one should force a woman not to.

I wonder if men have really though this through. Sex on demand? Maybe not so much anymore, considering the risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
How do you figure? The great majority of abortions are performed for reasons of convenience, as a form of post-fact birth control. In other words, it is a fallback position for people who engage in irresponsible sex. Maybe, just maybe, making such abortions illegal will cause some people to stop and think, given that their bail-out plan would no longer be available to them.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:52 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
that's ridiculous where I am against abortion after a certain point I think all contraception should be on the table. plan b is contraception. i consider myself a libertarian.
It is not up to you or me. Each of 50 states will pass their own laws. Some consider Plan B and some other forms of birth control to be abortion because they prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterine wall.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:53 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,503,023 times
In the old days and still exist in many societies,an unmarried girl in the family is pregnant,it is considered family shame and the parent wlll accompany the girl to get an abortion,hush hush. Back then girls want to be married into a good family and abortion would ruin her chance,but these days one would post on Facebook,Youtube,ticktoc,twitter,tel your mom,tell your dad,tell your school mates ,tell your neighbor and tell everyone who cares to know.

1,428 posts, read 730,400 times
Great, now were going to have even more unwanted babies in this country from poorly qualified parents.

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Today was a great victory for the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution. This is exactly what we mean by "states rights".

Old 06-24-2022, 07:54 PM

18,151 posts, read 15,725,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Sadly, there are many maternal and fetal complications that can result in abortion in the second trimester prior to viability. Off the top of my head, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of membranes, placental abruption, and any number of congenital conditions. My personal experience involved a severe neural tube defect.

My mother had 3 miscarriages in the 3rd trimester, where she went into labor and gave birth before viability. This is decades ago, and before I was ever a thought. Back then they didn't have sonograms and did not have the neonatal technology to save a preemie as they do today.

She had to have D&C at least once, possibly more. Finally the issue was discovered from a D&C -- a bicornuate uterus. She eventually had surgery to repair the issue, and was able to carry a baby to term (me).

In some misbegotten backarse states with legislatures who don't even understand how a woman's body works, and their interest in draconian laws, someone having a 2nd or 3rd trimester miscarriage could possibly be accused and charged with a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies