Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,783,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOFFLine View Post
where were your "States Rights" when the day before the same Supreme Court said States have to right to restrict open carry.
Try actually reading the constitution, including the 14th.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,170,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This has already been proven to be a bogus claim.

BTW I had a bicornuate uterus and carried two children to term.

By November, when gas is $7 a gallon across the country and food is up a*another* 40%, suburban women are going to have worse problems than abortion being turned over to the states.

Interestingly, it is the LGBTQ folks who are the biggest proponents of abortion on demand. Not suburban moms.
I'm always astounded at the number of people who cannot connect the dots between financial struggle and an unplanned pregnancy that results in another mouth to feed.

I am a suburban mom with two adult children I adore. I am also the daughter of an obstetrician and a life-long supporter of guaranteed abortion access.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 3,028,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I'm always astounded at the number of people who cannot connect the dots between financial struggle and an unplanned pregnancy that results in another mouth to feed.

I am a suburban mom with two adult children I adore. I am also the daughter of an obstetrician and a life-long supporter of guaranteed abortion access.
Goodness, do not tell your children that. You might scar them with the thought that you would have had no problem killing them, if you so chose to...

Old 06-24-2022, 08:11 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,783,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
We have always been the UNITED States. With individual but similar laws for most things. One country. This SC decision and any others that get overturned and "returned to the states" are only adding to the reasons we are splitting apart at the seams.

I hope my grandkids don't end up having to flee this country like my grandparents had to flee unlivable places in Europe back in the early 1900s.
Apparently you were unaware of how this country was formed. As a representative republic, with the Federal government having very limited powers and the states having power over their own.

There is a reason why it was designed that way. Maybe you need a history lesson.

9,549 posts, read 7,126,667 times
Quote:

Why don’t you connect the dots?! Fix the economy and people can afford to have children.

18,586 posts, read 16,021,771 times
Quote:
Sadly, you're probably right, and I'm so sorry that your mother went through such traumatic miscarriages.
Yeah, I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been. And to not know why or what was wrong until after 3 late term losses. Thank goodness for modern medicine and technology.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:12 PM

2,786 posts, read 1,272,307 times
Quote:
Sadly, there are many maternal and fetal complications that can result in abortion in the second trimester prior to viability. Off the top of my head, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of membranes, placental abruption, and any number of congenital conditions. My personal experience involved a severe neural tube defect.
Thank you I couldn't think of all the reasons why a termination of pregnancy would be necessary after the 4th month. I'm sorry you went through a severe neural tube defect.

It might have to be that the states need to define reasons to terminate pregnancy since the Supreme Court hasn't.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:13 PM

16,615 posts, read 10,815,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That means a third party decides if the claim of rape or incest is true or not.
Not necessarily. According to this summary of trigger laws, as published by the Guttmacher Institute, Idaho, Mississippi, and Utah allow abortions in cases where "the pregnant person is a victim of rape and has reported the incident to law enforcement" (their wording). Note that this says that the incident has to be reported to law enforcement; it says nothing about the outcome of any third party investigation. Moreover, North Dakota and Wyoming allow abortions in cases of rape or incest without any mention of a need to report them to law enforcement.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2...roe-overturned

Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,053,291 times
I find the Republican party's ideals distasteful overall but they have admirable strength and loyalty the Democratic party lacks. But for all the power and shrewdness the Republican party demonstrates, I'm mystified by this. Overturning Roe was a terrible move politically, or at least awful timing. The SC has become politicized and all this decision will accomplish is angering undecided voters, possibly tilting elections toward the Democrats' favor.

Loyal Republicans are already loyal. The SC chooses when to hear cases and which ones to hear. So why now? The lousy economy alone was enough to be a GOP slam dunk for the midterms. Even Trump said the GOP should leave Roe alone; overturning it would not gain supporters.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:14 PM

30,567 posts, read 23,987,526 times
Giving power back to the people - of course the left is upset about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies