Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 03:42 PM

73,225 posts, read 62,913,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
oh, I just wanted to make sure you know the vast majority of us agree with you.
I wasn't speaking from a position of "the whole world is against Black people". My position was to another person who believes that Black people should put up with "guilty until proven innocent" because of what other Black people have done. There are people who agree with me. The person in question, I'm trying to figure out where that person's mind is at. Who would be willing to see law abiding citizens suffer due to the guilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 03:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,569,102 times
funny you dont read about Asian being shot at or arrested,may be they keep it hush hush like the tongs(Chinese gangsters)

Old 07-05-2022, 04:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,695,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Was there a case where a black person didn’t actively resist the arrest and still got shot?

I said “actively” to allow minor scuffles with the arresting officers. “Minor” means cursing, push, and shove. It does not mean bashing the officer’s head against the car door or attempting to grab the officer’s gun.
Look up Amadou Diallo.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,695,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Profiling works.

Sorry, but it's true.

It may not be politically correct.......but it works.

Cops wouldn't bother with it if it didn't.

But I don't think that cops in general profile based on race alone.

You don't see many black guys in suits getting pulled over on Wall Street......
Profiling was used in New York, some years ago. It "started off fine." Then, it got over agressive, and subsequently ruled illegal, in court.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:26 PM

6,845 posts, read 3,092,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
funny you dont read about Asian being shot at or arrested,may be they keep it hush hush like the tongs(Chinese gangsters)
It happens. Ya get some crazed asian with a machete or something doing some pretty foul thing.

Flushing Woman Indicted for Murder for Fatal Stabbing of Immigration Attorney

Granted, it is probably 'less' than white or black arrests. So not as much fodder to report and get clicks.

I'd rather not invoke the 'model minority' appeal though, for this thread at least.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:31 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,691,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlud View Post
Early on, say in the early Jim Crow era, black folks were demonized. They spread propaganda that blacks were prone to violence and would rape white women. Movies were made to push that.

Essentially, the image of the black criminal was intentionally instilled on the American populace.

This led to the over-policing of black communities. Which leads to more encounters with cops. Which leads to higher arrest rates. Note that I’m saying arrests. Not convictions.

This is where the 13-50 argument comes from. That 13% of the population gets arrested 50% of the time. But it ignores the factors that I’ve stated above.

And again, arrested, not convicted. Because again, over-policing inevitably leads to more police encounters increasing the likelihood of arrests (and again, arrest does not mean guilty, because it is not a conviction).
I think the issue with that is when you see that 50% of violent crime, like homicides, are also committed by the black population. Is this due to over-policing?

Old 07-05-2022, 05:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,622,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
They don't even give me tickets... so why are they pulling me over?

My last time being pulled over (a few months ago), part of the conversation went like this..

Cop: you were going about 50 (limit is 40)

Me: No I wasn't. I was going 40. I know the speed limit on this road, I saw you, and I immediately looked down to make sure I was going 40. The speed limit changes on this street 3 times in about a mile, and I travel this road EVERY DAY, several times a day because I work at the school. I know what the speed limit is.

(this back and forth continues for a while)

COP: Are you a teacher?

ME: No, the psychologist.

Cop: We just had a 5150 there. They said the psych was there, and he recommended the 5150.

ME: I'm the psych, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you talked to the counselor.

Cop: Nope, it was the psychologist. Our team spoke with the Psychologist.

Me: That would be me, and I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't even know about any 5150... and I would definitely know.

Cop: maybe they talked to the other psychologist...

Me: I am the only psych.

And then he let me go, with no ticket.

Also, there is only one high school in our city, so no chance of him getting the wrong school. And I get pulled over so much here that I usually just put on cruise control, so that I stay at the speed limit until I get home. I can't use cruise control on this stretch, however, because the speed limit changes three times in about a mile or so. This cop was either confused (he also said I was driving on a street I never went down), or he was straight up lying. I'm nearly 50 years old, and still having to deal with this crap.
You didn’t get shot, did you?

Old 07-05-2022, 05:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,622,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wasn't speaking from a position of "the whole world is against Black people". My position was to another person who believes that Black people should put up with "guilty until proven innocent" because of what other Black people have done. There are people who agree with me. The person in question, I'm trying to figure out where that person's mind is at. Who would be willing to see law abiding citizens suffer due to the guilty?
Like everybody else, black people should put up with the police until they can challenge the police in court. It turns out fighting with the police is a sure way to get shot.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:21 PM

4,467 posts, read 1,746,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
First of all don't be wearing headphones when you are driving. Secondly make better use of your rear view mirror because you should be checking what's behind you all the time you are driving. Not hearing them or seeing them pursuing you is not a valid excuse. You are in control of a vehicle and you must be aware of everything around you. So, there's that.
I was actually walking down the street, not driving. I think I was about 17 or 18 at the time, and didn't even have a car. So there's that.

Quote:
When the cops stop you they don't know you. In their line of work, every traffic stop has the potential to be their death. If you don't resist, run, drive off, call police vulgar names, and whine that you have "rights", the outcome for you is much better. Stay calm.
When they stop me, I don't know them. In their line of work, every traffic stop has the potential to be my death. Even if I don't resist, run, drive off, call police vulgar names, and whine that I have rights, it's still not a guarantee that the outcome will be better for me. They should stay calm.

Quote:
The safest thing for the trod-upon minorities to do if they are pulled over is Ddn't push back. Just go along with them. So simple. They enforce the law and if you happen to be a target you must have raised their suspicions. Perhaps they saw you with headphones on and that would be a danger on the road similar to using a cellphone while driving.
Yes, it's my fault they snuck up on me from behind and pointed their guns at me while I was walking down the street, wearing headphones. Shame on me. That'll teach me to walk down the street wearing headphones! I was so suspicious that after they had me prone on the floor and then handcuffed me, one of them apologized (which was appreciated), unhandcuffed me, and went on their way.

Quote:
Your opinion that whites don't get pulled over like minorities do has no statistical basis. I have been pulled over multiple times, been searched both on body and vehicle, ticketed if I broke a law. I have been stopped while walking but not to be arrested, just because the cops were worried for my safety in the area.
I don't remember ever mentioning whites, or their rate of getting pulled over, in this thread, so don't put words in my mouth. I was responding to the claim that blacks really DIDN'T have to fear the police, that it was an exaggeration. My stories are to express that it's not.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:43 PM

6,755 posts, read 4,450,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Like everybody else, black people should put up with the police until they can challenge the police in court. It turns out fighting with the police is a sure way to get shot.

You usually hear the end result, another black man shot dead. You hear later, he shot at the police first. Dont shoot at the police! If you do, your day probably wont end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies