Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 05:40 AM

27,241 posts, read 13,527,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post

Maybe so, but the unpopularity of Brexit and the havoc it has wreaked on the UK economy is undeniable.
The majority of people voted for Brexit, so I don't see how it is unpopular, as for the economy the UKhas a trade deal with the EU, which is more than the US has. Britain continues to trade well with the EU and is about to sign new trade deals.

In terms of the economy, global issues such as the pandemic debt and current Ukraine sanctions have had a much greater impact on the economy than Brexit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 05:52 AM

10,000 posts, read 5,708,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Ha! Talk about buyers remorse. Try putting that up for a vote today.
I'd take that bet. From what I can tell from afar, there are more people who regret voting "Remain" than the other way around. Seems to me the buyer's remorse has more to do with the dumpster-sleeping MP than Brexit.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,802,477 times
Their democracy seems to work better than our system. But as far as being corrupt or horrible, Boris Johnson is mild compared to our latest two Presidents (depending on which party you ask).

Old 07-09-2022, 01:31 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,060,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I'd take that bet. From what I can tell from afar, there are more people who regret voting "Remain" than the other way around. Seems to me the buyer's remorse has more to do with the dumpster-sleeping MP than Brexit.

Dumpster sleeping - lol. I don't know, you might be right. I can't vouch for the validity of these metrics, but this chart doesn't make it seem very likely.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-opinion-poll/

Old 07-10-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Their democracy seems to work better than our system. But as far as being corrupt or horrible, Boris Johnson is mild compared to our latest two Presidents (depending on which party you ask).

Prime Minister is a bit different to President.

The Prime Minister is not the Head of State, nor are they the Commander in Chief, that is the role of the Monarchy.

Prime Ministers are first among equals in terms of the Cabinet, and are merely the head of the governing party.

In terms of UK elections you vote for your local constituency MP, and the party with the most MP's wins, or forma a coalition with another party. It is the leader of the majority party that becomes Prime Minister. Although to form a Government they have to go to Buckingham Palace and ask the Monarch.

It also should be noted that whilst London is full of beautiful Royal Palaces, the Prime Minister lives in a rather austere town house at 10 Downing Street, and this clearly denotes their status.

Whilst politicians come and go, the Monarchy (Head of State) continues.

Old 07-10-2022, 07:26 AM

Btw - Boris is American by birth, he was born in the Upper East Side of New York and his father Stanley Joihnson was studying post graduate economics at Columbia University.

Boris Johnson resided at Barbizon 63 in New York, which is where Ricky Gervais and his partner Jane own an apartment.

The Barbizon seems to have been a favourite with US female celebrities, with only Johnson and Gervais mentioned in relation to famous male celebrities.

Barbizon 63 - Wikepedia

Boris Johnson renounced hid American citizenship in 2016, after he was landed with a US tax bill after selling a house in London.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:17 PM

57,390 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The difference is that Johnson's own party revolted on him with a hundred resignations, there is nothing Trump could do to make the republican party turn on him.

At least the British have some common sense.

Old 07-10-2022, 03:40 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The difference is that Johnson's own party revolted on him with a hundred resignations, there is nothing Trump could do to make the republican party turn on him.

At least the British have some common sense.
Trump was never a lush with messed up hair blare.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:55 PM

57,390 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Trump was never a lush with messed up hair blare.
Yes but he was orange and a very cartoonish figure just like Johnson.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:11 AM

30,478 posts, read 21,343,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes but he was orange and a very cartoonish figure just like Johnson.
Need to adjust your tv magee. Never looked orange to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies