Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 09:56 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Both parties sold out the American public on the whole outsourcing everything approach they taken. Gutted out a lot of jobs and look where we are now.

It's really scary to me how much we rely on a country that intends harm on us.
Yeah. This really is the bottom line.

All we talk about everyday is abortion and unisex bathrooms. Lol

The truth hurts, but America is no longer the greatest nation on earth.

This country is angry, poor, and exhausted

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-02-2022 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-02-2022, 10:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
fail. nothing in your link has trump saying he'd defend taiwan.

how about the other presidents, since you claimed 'every president before him (biden)' said that?
yoo-hoo! normie?

Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
How on Earth is Taiwan dependent on the CCP? What backwards logic are you trying to pass off?

To respond to your second post, a 21st century where China is a hegemon is absolutely, 100% a threat to the West. Let's start culturally, because that's what this forum loves the most. Imagine a world where every media company, not just Disney, is censoring their media to make it past the insane Chinese censors. Anything that could ever be considered a hint of a critique is automatically banned and censored by the CCP. How are we free if we live under the guise of Chinese Communist censors?

Next, China has spent the better part of the last 20 years securing rare earth metals and making deals with African counties to get better access to rare earth metals. We will need rare earth metals and lithium to stay competitive with China, and we are falling behind.

Which leads me to the elephant in the room, as evidenced by Russia's military struggles due to its loss of access to microchips and other important components, China could use its power to stymie the United States' wartime capacity. No chips, no rare earth metals, no modern warfare. Taiwan is a crucial ally and trading partner. Should China invade Taiwan, the United States lacks the capacity to find other places to buy chips at the moment. It is another strategical weakness.

China is suffering from a major recession on top of multiple bubbles on the precipice of being burst. The CCP has made some errors in the last couple years, and I think now is a good time to capitalize. Their way of censorship, oppression, and genocide will not win the future.

Ask the UN. According to the UN, Taiwan is not an independent country. In other words, it is dependent. And obviously on the only country that the UN considers China, the PRC.

Something is not a threat just because you don't like it. China is not censoring anything in the West. If a Western company wants to sell in China, naturally it has to comply with Chinese laws and rules. So, how is China's domestic censorship a threat to the West?!?

When China does business with Africa and the US fails to do so, how is that China's fault? Why is China a threat just because of the US' lack of popularity in the Global South?!
Like many countries, the US, too, has rare earth metals, but you don't want to process them there because of environmental regulations. It is a pretty nasty industry. So you prefer other countries ruin their environment...

There are no military stuggles in Russia, the military does not rely on advanced chips.
Just like Russia, China is a very solid supplier.
Maybe you should wonder why your country is constantly involved in wars to begin with, while other countries are not...
Don't blame a supposed strategic weakness on an invented Chinese threat.

Your last paragraph is just full of absurd claims based on ignorance.
The only thing that is correct to a certain extent is censorship, but then again, there is massive censorship in the West as well, here in Europe for instance.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:12 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Funny how for some going to war seems preferable to this
I dare say Lockheed Martin and the like are desperate for the cash.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:23 AM

962 posts, read 541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ask the UN. According to the UN, Taiwan is not an independent country. In other words, it is dependent. And obviously on the only country that the UN considers China, the PRC.
China is a member of the Security Council. The UN cant make a claim otherwise regarding Taiwan. To consider the UN relevant in 2022 is, frankly, laughable. I say that as a liberal who would absolutely support a stronger UN. They are irrelevant.

Quote:

Something is not a threat just because you don't like it. China is not censoring anything in the West. If a Western company wants to sell in China, naturally it has to comply with Chinese laws and rules. So, how is China's domestic censorship a threat to the West?!?
It's a threat to our ideals. If the Chinese way "wins out" among other nations, that is not good for America. Despotic regimes with international influence pose a danger to those who care about democracy and liberalism (not liberalism in the American political sense, to readers out there).

Quote:

When China does business with Africa and the US fails to do so, how is that China's fault? Why is China a threat just because of the US' lack of popularity in the Global South?!
Like many countries, the US, too, has rare earth metals, but you don't want to process them there because of environmental regulations. It is a pretty nasty industry. So you prefer other countries ruin their environment...
I don't fault China for having good strategy. But the United States must counter these strategies, and make it worthwhile to the developing world to reject Chinese influence.

Quote:

There are no military stuggles in Russia, the military does not rely on advanced chips.
Just like Russia, China is a very solid supplier.
Maybe you should wonder why your country is constantly involved in wars to begin with, while other countries are not...
Don't blame a supposed strategic weakness on an invented Chinese threat.
I won't address blatant misinformation. The Russians are trotting out Soviet-era weapons for the world to see.

Quote:

Your last paragraph is just full of absurd claims based on ignorance.
The only thing that is correct to a certain extent is censorship, but then again, there is massive censorship in the West as well, here in Europe for instance.
False equivalencies (the West is just as bad) are routinely employed by propagandist trolls. To claim that censorship in the West even approaches that of the CCP is ludicrous and you know it. Hope Evergrande finds a few million people to buy those empty condos. What's going to happen to the Chinese economy when the CCP can no longer prop up flailing industries? How are they going to deal with Chinese citizen's demands for higher quality of life, when manufacturers are leaving in droves? Where's Jack Ma? And how are they going to handle a rapidly aging population, thanks to the idiotic One Child Policy?

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 08-02-2022 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-02-2022, 10:29 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I agree with you Frank, but unfortunately, she wasn’t stopped way before this became an issue.

Pelosi put the entire country in a jam since it’s a damned if you do and damned if you don’t. In this situation, IMHO, Pelosi now needs to fly her goofy self into Taiwan. If she doesn’t, this would give China a massive propaganda win over the United States.

Also, if Biden ordered her not to fly to Taiwan, that would have been a massive strike-two for the United States… Right after Biden’s retreat from Afghanistan, which showed both China and Russia weakened within Biden’s administration. Biden’s weakness allowed the Russians to invade the Ukraine and if Biden folded up again, but this time in Asia, China, without question would be more aggressive towards Taiwan or to the other countries bordering in the South China Sea. Also, if Biden plunked out, I’d bet China would have sealed off most of the South China Sea and claim it as sovereign Chinese territory, which would require a direct American military response against Chinese forces blocking American shipping.

Pelosi knows she’s done come November, so she trying to get in her last government funded Asian vacation.

I just hope China doesn’t do anything stupid like attack Taiwan once Pelosi leaves since we would have to back the Taiwaneses up with our weakened and WOKEN military forces in combat operations. Sorry, I don’t have any faith in General Austin (Ret.) or General Milley…. Especially that Milley guy since I think he’d warn the Chinese of an impending military strike and putting American service men and women at risk. AND!! To make it worse, a brain dead president that isn’t capable of quick action with a capable opponent, like China…. Smoking a single Terrorist on your time schedule isn’t a huge task since time is on your side to strike. This would be very different than fighting China.

In the end, and for the next 5 to 10 years, we’d kick the sheet out of the Chinese since the fight would be mainly a sea and air battle within the South China Sea. China doesn’t want to draw in Japan, Britain, Australia, Vietnam and possibly France and India into this fight. China’s only capable allied is the Russians and they’re still tied down in the Ukraine and bleeding both men and equipment.
Did you have any problem when Gingrich as Speaker did the same trip?

Old 08-02-2022, 10:30 AM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
See, Pelosi doesn't even listen to the President who told her twice now not to go.
Nobody listens to Biden anymore...not that they did to begin with.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:33 AM

9,422 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This is the second time now.

Pelosi says she's going to Taiwan and China says "don't you dare" and Pelosi backed down.
Now she's at it again. Biden even told her not to go.

First Russia, now China. What is the US Govt trying to do here .... start WWIII ?
First, AFAIK we didn't "send her." She chose to visit. That's her prerogative as a citizen and as Speaker.

Who cares what Biden tells anyone?

China does not get to tell us where our citizens, or the second in line to the presidency, gets to go. That is a big fat NYOB, bugger off, creep situation. I'm sorry Reagan didn't undo Carter's malfeasance of duty and recognize Taiwan fully. But he didn't.

I'd think the Taiwanese would have gotten a few nukes for their arsenal by now. Is China prepared to trade Peking off for flexing some muscle?

And don't forget the Three Gorges Dam. If someone were to lob a few missiles into that, you have The Great Flood, Act II.

BTW, I despise Pelosi and everything she does. Except this visit. Perhaps it's to show an in your face to senile Xoe. And the Kackling Fool is the only person standing between Nanny and the presidency should Xoe take a tumble down some airplane stairs...

Old 08-02-2022, 10:35 AM

43,127 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
First, AFAIK we didn't "send her." She chose to visit. That's her prerogative as a citizen and as Speaker.

Who cares what Biden tells anyone?

China does not get to tell us where our citizens, or the second in line to the presidency, gets to go. That is a big fat NYOB, bugger off, creep situation. I'm sorry Reagan didn't undo Carter's malfeasance of duty and recognize Taiwan fully. But he didn't.

I'd think the Taiwanese would have gotten a few nukes for their arsenal by now. Is China prepared to trade Peking off for flexing some muscle?

And don't forget the Three Gorges Dam. If someone were to lob a few missiles into that, you have The Great Flood, Act II.

BTW, I despise Pelosi and everything she does. Except this visit. Perhaps it's to show an in your face to senile Xoe. And the Kackling Fool is the only person standing between Nanny and the presidency should Xoe take a tumble down some airplane stairs...
She did not go as a citizen though. She went as a representative of the US in official capacity even when the President of the US told her not to go.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:39 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Well, now that Pelosi went, should Trump or a high-ranking GOPer go next?
I know, right? Like when she made a surprise visit to Ukraine, the Republican felt left out, so Mitch McConnell took a small delegation to Kyiv to meet Zelenskyy. Now, I wonder if a delegation of Republican will be going to Tiawan now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies