Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 02:31 PM

7,362 posts, read 3,824,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I generally share the same sentiment about not letting other nations dictate our foreign policy.

Problem here is that the official foreign policy position of the US government is that the PRC is the sole representative of China Another problem is that the speaker of the house doesn't run US foreign policy; the president does, and Biden (well, his handlers, but still) has already expressed his disapproval of Pelosi going over there.

Pelosi was reckless here. And this will have repercussions that aren't being discussed now.
The official foreign policy position of the US government can change with every administration.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:33 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The official foreign policy position of the US government can change with every administration.
True, but it hasn't for decades. I only deal with the here and now. The official foreign policy of the US towards China and Taiwan has been that the PRC is the sole representative of China since the 1970s. The speaker of the house certainly wouldn't be the one to change foreign policy.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Nope, but how many US servicemen were killed as a result of those weapons being supplied to North Korea and North Vietnam? I'll wait. This isn't a game. Lives are at stake here. It's always interesting to see those old and ineligible to serve in our military should the need arise behaving recklessly in situations like these.

Like it or not, Taiwan and China aren't the US's battle. We have enough problems at home to deal with.
You're not addressing my point. My point is the US didn't go to war then and we won't this time either.

The loss of Chinese exports to the US would destroy them and they know it.

And we can't run with our tail between our legs because China has nuclear weapons.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:37 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
You're not addressing my point. My point is the US didn't go to war then and we won't this time either.

And we can't run with our tail between our legs because China has nuclear weapons.
Doesn't matter. The outcome is the same: dead US servicemen (and now servicewomen). And for what? A civil war between the PRC and ROC that has absolutely nothing to do with us? We are reliant on China and the Chinese are reliant on us. But we are probably more reliant on China than the other way around as China has expanded its trade opportunities via the Belt and Road initiative.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:11 PM

170 posts, read 60,030 times
Quote:

china export to US is around 400billion but its GDP is $17Trillions, so $400 billion is not that much compare to that. but both US-China economy are interlink, so ne1 hurt it will affect world economy. if you think inflation is bad due to ukraine-russia war, china-taiwan war would be several magnitude worst, consider china GDP is 14 time larger than russia.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:20 PM

16 posts, read 4,160 times
I think she will and China will react.Going to be a mess.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. The outcome is the same: dead US servicemen (and now servicewomen). And for what? A civil war between the PRC and ROC that has absolutely nothing to do with us? We are reliant on China and the Chinese are reliant on us. But we are probably more reliant on China than the other way around as China has expanded its trade opportunities via the Belt and Road initiative.
US reliance on China can be undone; the reverse is not true.

The loss of the ROC to the PRC would threaten Japan and that's not going to happen.

Generally, I would say "let them fight," but the loss of Taiwan and then Japan would not be in our interests.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Did the US go to war with the USSR when they supplied North Korea and North Vietnam with weapons, including missiles and aircraft?

How about when they supplied pilots as well? Do people here know that Russian pilots flew North Korean and North Vietnam flagged aircraft against American pilots in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, respectively?

Did we go to war with Russia then?

The people saying we shouldn't provide weapons to Ukraine for fear of Russia or prosecute our foreign policy in our best interests for fear of China need to open a history book.
The US has provided weapons to numerous countries and has helped topple numerous regimes since WW2, so can hardly point the finger at others.

In terms of Pelosi's trip, it is just going to cause more problems and is a kin to throwing gasoline (petrol) on top of a fire.

The Chinese have so far stayed out of Ukraine and have not supplied Russia with weapons, however this might now change, and Iran is also now believed to be supplying weapons to Russia. Whilst at the same time China has now launched special military operations which is exactly what Russia did before invading Ukraine.

As for Pelosi, she has also upset the Turkish, by taking the Greek side in disputes, as there are lots of Democrat Greek benefactors in Washington DC, and the Turks have close relations with Russia and the Middle East, as well as controlling entrance in to the all important Black Sea.

The British have also been upset by Pelosi's comments and have called her ignorant and told her to mind her own business, and I don't think there will be much support for another US led war in the UK or among NATO members, given the recent mess that was Biden's humiliating Afghanistan withdrawal, which the Taliban like the Viet-Cong before them claim as an epic victory, and I would suggest that a war with China would be on another level to any war since WW2.

It seems Pelosi has a track record of antagonising nations and their people, and it seems a lot of the problem is increasing with US and western politicians, who are just inflaming situations for no obvious reason or gain, in fact quite the opposite as the Chinese might start supplying the Russians with weapons in relation to Ukraine and this new special military operation might lead to the invasion of Taiwan.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-02-2022 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-02-2022, 03:54 PM

170 posts, read 60,030 times
Quote:
US reliance on China can be undone; the reverse is not true.

The loss of the ROC to the PRC would threaten Japan and that's not going to happen.

Generally, I would say "let them fight," but the loss of Taiwan and then Japan would not be in our interests.
where u get the source china gonna invade japan FYI japan trade more with china than US

Old 08-02-2022, 03:55 PM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
People keep saying she's not a US Representative, but she is in this case. I mean, she's the "speaker of the House" and she stopped on official diplomatic business under heavy guard of the US military. I don't think we can say this was some type of personal trip.
Can the speaker of the house negotiate with foreign powers? I was under the impression only the executive branch could do so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies