Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2022, 05:12 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
The Obamacare subsidies are absolutely essential for the red states.
feel free to provide some justification/data.

Yes, I know the only states that didn't expand Medicaid were SOME of the red states.

So, they can either pay for the expanded Medicaid (and get the Fed government portion for the rest), which takes care of SOME of those who qualify for the ACA subsidies, or their citizens get the ACA subsidy.

Have I got that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 05:13 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post

Quote:
I believe we've debated this before, or maybe it was someone else. But why couldn't you just go out of business against a competitor who does take a profit cut? You can't just make your clients pay more ad infinitum, you have to move along the demand curve, and taxes changes the whole equation. Obviously depends on many industry specifics. This issue is rife with "it depends", honestly needs an essay to cover all bases. I'm not saying your scenario isn't the most likely.
It was a purely informational question. I'm anti-corporate.
ok so you say It was a purely informational question. .... the question would be why would you ask (if you already know) this when it has been shown by almost every economist that small businesses only make a 1-5% profit

I have posted this many times in the min wage threads, but it fits

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$28/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$24/hr each
I have a parts manager...$24/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14 each
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12 each
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9.5 (2 over min) each

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (who must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers (wage compression)

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

I would have to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual highly SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, why...because it is too costly to stay in business (payroll is the biggest part of my overhead) not to mention taxes, and other overheads that are constantly going up

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving , and my skilled workers make a very good wage, higher than most in this area
this is just one example of what will happen (to small businesses), if we try raising the min wage anymore

the majority of ALL workers( 79% ), work for small business and most small business only make 1-5% profit

too say ""why couldn't you just go out of business against a competitor "" is like saying we should board up all small businesses so that corporations (who can afford the tax hikes) can take over the world

Old 08-02-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
which shows that you didn't read the article nor the actual poll.

https://www.scribd.com/document/5852...557-U-S-Adults

for the survey, you have to scroll all the way to the end, past all the questions showing how ****ty even the Dems think Biden is doing, to get to these "Yay! Inflation Redeuction Act!!!" questions.

for example, these questions (from the article you didn't read):

"Democrats in the U.S. Senate just put forward a surprise $369 billion climate and energy package that promises to cut greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below 2005 levels by 2030" ...

what's being sold is simply "reduce greenhouse gas by 40% by 2030" which is stupendously unlikely in 7 years.

or this question:

"when respondents are told that “the Democrats’ new Senate package would also lower the cost of prescription drugs by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices for the first time while capping out-of-pocket costs at $2,000 a year.â€

meaning ... "Do I approve of capping out-of-pocket costs for drugs at $2K/year? Hell yes!"

or lastly:

"raise an estimated $451 billion in new revenue over the next decade primarily by requiring large corporations to pay the taxes they owe, "

Do you consider that a factual and balanced question?

Old 08-02-2022, 05:54 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
... for the survey, you have to scroll all the way to the end, past all the questions showing how ****ty even the Dems think Biden is doing ...
And, as I've pointed out in other threads, that same poll that says voters don't think Biden is doing a good job STILL favor democrats in the generic congressional ballot by 6 percentage points among registered voters - 45% to 39% (page 22 of your link).

So it actually makes sense that voters both like this bill and prefer democrats in congress, since this bill is (of course) a democratic bill. Biden's popularity (or lack thereof) has become practically irrelevant to a whole lot of things these days.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok so you say It was a purely informational question. .... the question would be why would you ask (if you already know) this when it has been shown by almost every economist that small businesses only make a 1-5% profit

I have posted this many times in the min wage threads, but it fits

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

this is just one example of what will happen (to small businesses), if we try raising the min wage anymore

the majority of ALL workers( 79% ), work for small business and most small business only make 1-5% profit

too say ""why couldn't you just go out of business against a competitor "" is like saying we should board up all small businesses so that corporations (who can afford the tax hikes) can take over the world
You seem to think I'm out for small business blood, I'm not. I'm just curious about it, and I notice that people seem to miss a lot of factors (I'm certainly not an expert by any means, hence discussion). For example, the effect of wage depends on how wage-heavy %-wise the cost of production is. You and the other poster have good points, I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. But I am still skeptical of the implication (not necessarily yours or the other's) that 100% of the taxes just go to the consumer 100% of the time. All I'm asking is: maybe not always? Taxing large corporations are also a different ball game. There's also the notion that taxes don't just disappear, they still re-enter the economy somewhere. But that's actually a totally different tangent.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
You seem to think I'm out for small business blood, I'm not. I'm just curious about it, and I notice that people seem to miss a lot of factors (I'm certainly not an expert by any means, hence discussion). For example, the effect of wage depends on how wage-heavy %-wise the cost of production is. You and the other poster have good points, I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. But I am still skeptical of the implication (not necessarily yours or the other's) that 100% of the taxes just go to the consumer 100% of the time. All I'm asking is: maybe not always? Taxing large corporations are also a different ball game. There's also the notion that taxes don't just disappear, they still re-enter the economy somewhere. But that's actually a totally different tangent.
1. sorry, I took that wrong...I read your question the wrong way

2. to the bold... no, not 100% of the time.... but like the min wage example I showed, when a small business (say a maintenance shop) is paying higher prices for parts, higher prices for labor, higher prices for utilities, higher prices for property taxes, higher prices for OSHA/EPA requirements...and they have always been setting on that tiny 1-5% profit ratio...when some entity (not just the government with taxes) causes their COST to go up, then they HAVE TO raise the cost of their product/service (meaning pass it on to the consumer) or they will end up in the red.... now governments (that print their own money) can operate in the red (deficits), but small businesses and individual households cant really for very long

Old 08-02-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And, as I've pointed out in other threads, that same poll that says voters don't think Biden is doing a good job STILL favor democrats in the generic congressional ballot by 6 percentage points among registered voters - 45% to 39% (page 22 of your link).

So it actually makes sense that voters both like this bill and prefer democrats in congress, since this bill is (of course) a democratic bill. Biden's popularity (or lack thereof) has become practically irrelevant to a whole lot of things these days.
this is an interesting deflection from your own finds/claims, but yes I think we all knew that the party faithful are always faithful.

However, the poll did not ask VOTERS. It only surveyed adults.

And then there's those that decide elections now - the Independents. You probably don't want to see how they answered most of the questions.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
this is an interesting deflection from your own finds/claims, but yes I think we all knew that the party faithful are always faithful.
You were the one who first mentioned Biden's approval rating in a thread about an energy/climate/heathcare bill, that's what I would call a deflection.

Quote:
Yes, it asked registered voters. Again, go to page 22 of your link:
https://www.scribd.com/document/5852...557-U-S-Adults
^
"4. Generic Congressional vote
If an election for U.S. Congress were being held today, who would you vote for in the district where you live?"

The 3rd sub-table on that page has a "Voter Registration" column with 2 sub-columns - Registered and Not Registered. 45% of the Registered column lists The Democratic Party candidate. 39% of the Registered column lists The Republican Party candidate.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:06 PM

Oh, I didn't proclaim they didn't ask any voters. I said they didn't do the "we polled 1,777 registered adults" or "those who identified as likely voters".

I mean, if I poll 3 people, at least one of them would be a "Democrat". Did I say they polled "only" or "no" Democrats?

As to Biden, I merely pointed out that you had to scroll past pages and pages of questions that revealed how poor of a job people realized he was doing BEFORE you got to the point of the article.

I didn't want you fanboys getting depressed reading all those results just to reach the end before you could see some "good news".

Old 08-02-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't proclaim they didn't ask any voters
Ummmm .... yes you did:
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies