Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 11:08 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A popular opinion within the anti 2A and with the radical leftists now in control of the Democratic party is that the UK is a shining beacon the US should look to...
So nice when the strawman is shown front and center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 11:21 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So nice when the strawman is shown front and center.
Stawman? How so. The subject is in the thread title loud and clear. That I old a negative opinion of this concept should come as no surprise. Whatever. I do hold a very negative opinion of this concept and the ones touting it are far left Democrats. They've been on about emulating the UK in our weapons laws for...quite some time. And the UKs laws, like the people who want to see UK style laws here, are plumb crazy.

That is the subject of the thread. I've let my opinion on copying the UK here be known. I'm certainly not trying to hold differing opinions back. Whether I agree or not can be reasonably discussed. Isn't that the purpose of this board?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:24 AM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Actually the present day issue of gun control was completely non existent during the Revolutionary War period
What rubbish. The fighting at Concord and Lexington occurred as a direct result of British troops marching into those areas for the express purpose of confiscatig (they even called it "capturing) guns owned by the colonists.

What strange pretzel shapes you must have bent yourself into, to pretend that somehow there was no "gun control" then, and that gun control was not a factor. Do you actually expect someone to believe you?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:45 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
sounds like NJ where you can’t carry a pocketknife or pepper spray let alone even possess a taser or stun gun. then when people’s land rover gets jacked they are all like
I carry a can of 20ft wasp spray in my car. If anyone gets near my car, I can blast them in the face from a safe distance.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Stawman? How so.
You're unsure of the definition?

The logical fallacy of assigning an unpopular or extreme position to an opponent and then arguing against that. (Your depiction of the UK legislation itself is also quite, ehm - theatrical.)

But OK - who are these hordes of Democratic lawmakers citing the actual UK gun laws as examples to emulate?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
What rubbish. The fighting at Concord and Lexington occurred as a direct result of British troops marching into those areas for the express purpose of confiscatig (they even called it "capturing) guns owned by the colonists.
Sort of like Washington taking the army to the field to put down the Whiskey Rebellion?

Old 07-28-2022, 11:54 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

What strange pretzel shapes you must have bent yourself into, to pretend that somehow there was no "gun control" then, and that gun control was not a factor. Do you actually expect someone to believe you?
The battle of Lexington and Concord cannot in the least be described as an attempt of the British government to enforce " gun control " , since the reason for the whole affair wasn't related to the Patriots violating any sort of law related to firearms , but their overall intent ( i.e. the fact that they were acting in a rebellious manner in the eyes of the British government ) .

After all what sort of laws relating to the purchase , possession , ownership , etc. , of firearms actually existed in the colonies and/or the entirety of the British Empire at the time ?

As the article ( written by a very pro Second Amendment scholar by the way ) I've linked clearly demonstrates , firearms laws as such didn't really exist in the United Kingdom prior to 1920 , long after the American War of Independence ended .

Of course certain sources such as Wikipedia do claim that the 1870 Gun License Act required all British citizens to obtain a permit to carry firearms outside of their own property , but that is again an example of gun control enacted way after the War of Independence ended :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...United_Kingdom

In short the attempt of transposing present day political issues ( such as gun control ) onto long past historical events is extremely misguided .

Old 07-28-2022, 11:59 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Yeah we should definitely follow the UKs lead on dealing with dangerous weapons...

Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Just a general, slightly off the wall observation.

As many probably know, I watch a lot of BBC Brit mysteries. You know, for a vastly under gunned society, they still have a lot of stories about people being murdered. Is such fiction that believable in face of a reality that if you do away with guns, the violence will go away........or do they know that's not a solution at all?

Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Just a general, slightly off the wall observation.

As many probably know, I watch a lot of BBC Brit mysteries. You know, for a vastly under gunned society, they still have a lot of stories about people being murdered. Is such fiction that believable in face of a reality that if you do away with guns, the violence will go away........or do they know that's not a solution at all?

While I'm not sure as to how accurate BBC murder mysteries are concerning the UK's homicide rate , the UK is definitely ahead of certain countries ( including the States ) with respect to particular " traditions " that relate to violence such as bare knuckle brawling .

" Hardman " type characters like Lenny McLean/Lew Yates/Viv Graham most likely don't have their American equivalents , because British working class culture has a totally different view of what's manly when it comes to " taking care " of one's problems .

The way I've heard it explained to me by those Liverpool " old heads " I used to see now and again in a pub over there that I used to hang out at , is that it's seen as downright effeminate to use guns to handle your problems ( including defending yourself ) when one can use their fists .

So really present day British legislation concerning firearms seems to be reinforced by deeply held cultural attitudes among a significant segment of the populace , which hold that " shooters are for poofters that can't fight " , that is it's not just the arguably very much nanny state tendencies of the British government which come into play when examining the state of firearms legislation in the present day UK .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies