Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 09:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 4,622,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
While I'm not sure as to how accurate BBC murder mysteries are concerning the UK's homicide rate , the UK is definitely ahead of certain countries ( including the States ) with respect to particular " traditions " that relate to violence such as bare knuckle brawling .

" Hardman " type characters like Lenny McLean/Lew Yates/Viv Graham most likely don't have their American equivalents , because British working class culture has a totally different view of what's manly when it comes to " taking care " of one's problems .

The way I've heard it explained to me by those Liverpool " old heads " I used to see now and again in a pub over there that I used to hang out at , is that it's seen as downright effeminate to use guns to handle your problems ( including defending yourself ) when one can use their fists .

So really present day British legislation concerning firearms seems to be reinforced by deeply held cultural attitudes among a significant segment of the populace , which hold that " shooters are for poofters that can't fight " , that is it's not just the arguably very much nanny state tendencies of the British government which come into play when examining the state of firearms legislation in the present day UK .

Could it be sour grapes? If you can't even have a gun, I suppose you make excuses like "fists are for men".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 09:11 AM

27,613 posts, read 13,816,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Making I am not making myself clear. In the US, the cop who stops the speeder does not know if the car he is walking up on contains someone on the vacation of a life time, joy riding teenagers, jerks who think the law does not apply to them, or the lifer just out of prison who has sworn he is not going back to prison again at any cost.

We are putting a person in that kind of situation where he or she has to be diplomatic but at the same time, ready to respond in a split second.

What is different in the Brit culture where, it appears, the crooks are equally matched with the correct police unit....and we don't have that in the American culture?
The difference is that gun crime is relatively rare in the UK and the police don't have the same level of potential life threatening confrontations, and are therefore less paranoid and less likely to resort to US style police tactics.

23,728 posts, read 17,395,259 times
UK allows silencers / sound suppressors. US need a tax stamp from the feds, allowed in some states, not others. No military rounds allowed.

39,950 posts, read 26,681,654 times
Quote:
Making I am not making myself clear. In the US, the cop who stops the speeder does not know if the car he is walking up on contains someone on the vacation of a life time, joy riding teenagers, jerks who think the law does not apply to them, or the lifer just out of prison who has sworn he is not going back to prison again at any cost.

We are putting a person in that kind of situation where he or she has to be diplomatic but at the same time, ready to respond in a split second.

What is different in the Brit culture where, it appears, the crooks are equally matched with the correct police unit....and we don't have that in the American culture?
Um-no. Guess what, "crooks" (criminals) don't obey laws. These laws do zero to disarm violent criminals. However, they do ensure that their law abiding potential victims are defenseless. OSHA for criminals. But that's little different from what many Democratic-run cities are doing in this country. And for much the same reason, both want to ensure that potential victims are defenseless in the face of violence-rather from criminals or an abusive government.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Could it be sour grapes? If you can't even have a gun, I suppose you make excuses like "fists are for men".
So you want the criminal fraternity to be able t carry guns.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:17 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,200,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The difference is that gun crime is relatively rare in the UK and the police don't have the same level of potential life threatening confrontations, and are therefore less paranoid and less likely to resort to US style police tactics.
Okay, I don't have a gun but a spray bottle of acid and when the cop leans into the car, I spray it in their face.

OH, IT MAKES ME SHAKE MY FISTS! You are focusing on the gun as if that is the only way to hurt someone else.......and it is not.

What is it about the difference of cultures that makes one so non violent but the other is.....or is it just a myth.

Oh, and by the way, the preferred weapon of a rapist is a knife because against women, disfigurement is a powerful "motivator".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Um-no. Guess what, "crooks" (criminals) don't obey laws. These laws do zero to disarm violent criminals. However, they do ensure that their law abiding potential victims are defenseless. OSHA for criminals. But that's little different from what many Democratic-run cities are doing in this country. And for much the same reason, both want to ensure that potential victims are defenseless in the face of violence-rather from criminals or an abusive government.
That was rather my point and as presented from across the lake, it seems the criminals do obey laws, do play fair.

Why.......or is this just a myth?

Old 07-30-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Okay, I don't have a gun but a spray bottle of acid and when the cop leans into the car, I spray it in their face.

OH, IT MAKES ME SHAKE MY FISTS! You are focusing on the gun as if that is the only way to hurt someone else.......and it is not.

What is it about the difference of cultures that makes one so non violent but the other is.....or is it just a myth.

Oh, and by the way, the preferred weapon of a rapist is a knife because against women, disfigurement is a powerful "motivator".

That was rather my point and as presented from across the lake, it seems the criminals do obey laws, do play fair.

Why.......or is this just a myth?
The police in the UK and Europe do things differently to US police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0ThqEdV9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1608mKM8uY

Old 07-30-2022, 09:29 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,200,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The police in the UK and Europe do things differently to US police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf0ThqEdV9o
OKAY!.........but what makes the crooks different? What makes them play fair? Has the Brit police way changed them into nice, fair playing crooks? Do they come from a basic stock of people who only know to act that way?

As to the ride along, in a serious conversation, why do we have a video from Comedy Central? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jim_Jefferies_Show

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-30-2022 at 09:42 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 09:37 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,157,430 times
I am still trying to find where UK is called shining beacon..

Old 07-30-2022, 09:56 AM

39,950 posts, read 26,681,654 times
Quote:
OKAY!.........but what makes the crooks different? What makes them play fair? Has the Brit police way changed them into nice, fair playing crooks? Do they come from a basic stock of people who only know to act that way?

As to the ride along, in a serious conversation, why do we have a video from Comedy Central? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jim_Jefferies_Show
IDK, seems like English police are just as violent as US police when they face similar threats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mHwswa-AB4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies