Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 06:49 AM

41,006 posts, read 49,469,818 times

Advertisements

The Brits don't like an armed Population since they saw what happened in the late 1700's.

They are the reason we have the 1st and 2nd Amendment.

We both look at Arms from different perspective. They want to maintain a Monarchy and we want to remove one as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 06:55 AM

6,843 posts, read 3,434,001 times
They can ban whatever they want but it's still not going to get weapons off the streets.

Any attempt at confiscating legal firearms would be terribly unsucessful.

The problem isn't the guns, it's the criminals that use them and go free under the liberal D.A.'s that refuse to prosecute anyone.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:59 AM

8,928 posts, read 4,659,327 times
The disarming of American citizens is just one more step in the world's descent into total chaos.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:59 AM

27,613 posts, read 13,816,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The Brits don't like an armed Population since they saw what happened in the late 1700's.

They are the reason we have the 1st and 2nd Amendment.

We both look at Arms from different perspective. They want to maintain a Monarchy and we want to remove one as needed.
Total nonsense, as most guns were legal until the recent Hungerford Massacre (1987) and Dunblane Massacre (1996).

Guns legally owned by Michael Ryan (Hungerford) during the 1980's included

Norinco Type 56 7.62×39mm semi-automatic rifle, which is a Chinese type of AK-47

Underwood Carbine .30 rifle, a military rifle used by the US Army

Zabala shotgun

Browning shotgun

Beretta 9mm pistol

Bernardelli .22 pistol

CZ ORSO self-loading .32 ACP pistol

Legally owned guns held by Thomas Hamilton (Dunblane) included -

Two 9mm Browning HP pistol

Two Smith & Wesson M19 .357 Magnum revolver

So guns were hardly banned, and even after more restrictive legislation guns are still not banned, and there are lots of gun ranges, rifle shooting, shotgun sports, hunting, pest control etc.

In terms of the UK, the vast majority of police do not carry firearms, and I think you will find that following the English Civil War (1642–1651) power now resides with the UK Parliament.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:11 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,200,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

So guns were hardly banned, and even after more restrictive legislation guns are still not banned, and there are lots of gun ranges, rifle shooting, shotgun sports, hunting, pest control etc.

In terms of the UK, the vast majority of police do not carry firearms, and I think you will find that following the English Civil War (1642–1651) power now resides with the UK Parliament.
Yes, but where are those guns kept? Can a private citizen, NOW, have the type of guns I described in my previous post in their home?

As far as police not carrying firearms, well, that's a statement that can look good on the surface, but what is underneath it all? As a Provost Marshal, my police and security forces were not allowed to carry guns unless the balloon went up.........so we were trained in, ready to use all means of unarmed combat we could lay our hands on. As I often say, hit (lightning strike) to put him in the hospital.....and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yes, but where are those guns kept? Can a private citizen, NOW, have the type of guns I described in my previous post in their home?
Restrictions came in following the tragedies at Hungerford (1987) and Dunblane (1996).

The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988, which was passed in the wake of the Hungerford massacre, bans the ownership of semi-automatic centre-fire rifles and restricts the use of shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges (in magazine plus the breech).

Following the Dunblane Massacre, the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 was introduced, banning all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales. This was followed soon after by the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, banning the remaining .22 cartridge handguns as well.

You can apply for a shotgun or rifle licence in the UK, however this is subject to background checks.

Guns in the UK have traditionally been in relation to recreation and sport, game keeping, farming (pest control) and hunting/culling.

Guns were not permitted to be kept for merely self defence reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah

As far as police not carrying firearms, well, that's a statement that can look good on the surface, but what is underneath it all? As a Provost Marshal, my police and security forces were not allowed to carry guns unless the balloon went up.........so we were trained in, ready to use all means of unarmed combat we could lay our hands on. As I often say, hit (lightning strike) to put him in the hospital.....and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue.
Only a small number of highly trained officers are permitted to carry guns, and the firearms training is constant and would be seen as arduous by normal US police standards.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
........Guns were not permitted to be kept for merely self defence reasons.

Only a small number of highly trained officers are permitted to carry guns, and the firearms training is constant and would be seen as arduous by normal US police standards.
A and B.
A: Well, it is nice to know how the powers that be value my life if self defence is seen as a merely reason (sort of like some US laws that apply to women...is the rest of the world really that civilized?).

B: Noted on those few officers who are permitted to carry guns but my point was more to an unarmed police force from the angle that my people were quick to strike, devastating at close range. What is the difference in culture, in attitude.....or do your police also slam faces into the pavement with a foot sweep in the blink of an eye?

Old 07-30-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
A and B.
A: Well, it is nice to know how the powers that be value my life if self defence is seen as a merely reason (sort of like some US laws that apply to women...is the rest of the world really that civilized?).
Concealed carry or guns under the pillow are not part of our culture, and there is very littlr chances of being robbed or attacked by someone carrying a gun.

Quote:

B: Noted on those few officers who are permitted to carry guns but my point was more to an unarmed police force from the angle that my people were quick to strike, devastating at close range. What is the difference in culture, in attitude.....or do your police also slam faces into the pavement with a foot sweep in the blink of an eye?
The UK police are only supposed use necessary force, or what is reasonable in the circumstances.

The guiding principles first laid down by Sir Robert Peel still very much apply.

Peelian principles - Wikipedia

Old 07-30-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Concealed carry or guns under the pillow are not part of our culture, and there is very littlr chances of being robbed or attacked by someone carrying a gun.
Well, there we go, the focus that violence only happens with a gun.
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF BEING ATTACKED BY SOMEONE WITH SOME OTHER WEAPON?
Quote:
The UK police are only supposed use necessary force, or what is reasonable in the circumstances.

The guiding principles first laid down by Sir Robert Peel still very much apply.

Peelian principles - Wikipedia
Good for them. The way I see it, unarmed, if you don't obey my verbal order, I am striking before you decide to strike......or at the very least, on the first sign of attack, my response is defence/offence in one move.

Old 07-30-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Well, there we go, the focus that violence only happens with a gun.
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF BEING ATTACKED BY SOMEONE WITH SOME OTHER WEAPON?
You are not allowed to carry any offensive weapon and neither is a potential attacker.

Quote:

Good for them. The way I see it, unarmed, if you don't obey my verbal order, I am striking before you decide to strike......or at the very least, on the first sign of attack, my response is defence/offence in one move.
British police usually try and de-escalate situations and try to end incidents without violence if possible.

Improved understanding of mental health issues and closer working partnerships with emergency mental health teams, can also improve outcomes.

Verbal communication, tactical communication, conflict management and de-escalation are powerful tools, and this is especially the case in terms of the marginalised, suicidal, mentally ill, learning disabled and other groups that police come in to contact with on a regular basis.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-30-2022 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies