Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 07:26 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

The history of the reasons for why the electoral system came to be, has nothing to do with whether or not we should keep it, or reform it. I'm aware of the history and the initial reasoning, the arguments for why it's still good the way it is, and the arguments for abolishing or reforming it. I'm in the camp of the latter.

I recommend everyone start by reading this overview article on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ctoral_College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 07:33 PM

As far as this thread goes, you opened it by saying a falsehood: "America is right of center, not left".

The popular vote results every 4 years show otherwise. Abortion rights being affirmed by the voters in red states shows otherwise. This is not a right-wing country. It's not a left-wing country either, but there is definitely a reasonable center in there somewhere.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I would like to abolish the EC.

We have the Senate, which already gives EXTREME power to unpopulated states, over states with enormous populations.

Enough of people in unpopulated areas having a much, much greater voice than people who live in populated areas.

There's no reason for people who happen to live in Nebraska, or Wyoming, to have a MUCH greater voting voice than people who live in Los Angeles or NYC.

We have popular votes for all elections except the Presidential election. It's time to change that.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:42 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
The popular vote doesn't have to match the EC, THAT'S THE POINT OF THE EC.

When are people going to learn about the history of how our country came to be and the reasons why it was designed the way it is?

Actually the popular vote should count. The people speak with their votes, let that be it. One party though, I wont say which one. Wants your vote to NOT count. whatever the vote count is, if they dont like it. they want to disregard that, and put in their guy. Some seem to think they whats best for everybody. That kind of regime is done around the world, and never seems to work out for the people. Remember, Of the people, By the people, For the people. They go against their oath they took entering their office, when they throw that out.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We have the Senate, which already gives EXTREME power to unpopulated states, over states with enormous populations.
Yeah, exactly, and the Democrats still have majority control of it. 51-49 if Warnock wins. The near 40 million people in California get 2 liberal D senators to represent them, 732,000 people in Alaska get 2 R senators to represent them, and one of them (Murkowski) is very moderate, and voted to convict Trump of insurrection.

"America is right of center, not left", my a$$. The center of our politics is the center. And those center politics are not right-wing. If this makes Republicans butt-hurt, then maybe evolve your views and start appealing to more types of people who aren't 75+ year old social conservatives (nice way to say bigots) and dying off.

The EC is a cheater's way to win. Even OP's daddy Trump recognized this. If you can't get the highest vote total in an election, then you don't carry the people's confidence, and shouldn't be our president. The president serves the people. The government serves the people. That is what a representative democracy is.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, exactly, and the Democrats still have majority control of it. 51-49 if Warnock wins. The near 40 million people in California get 2 liberal D senators to represent them, 732,000 people in Alaska get 2 R senators to represent them, and one of them (Murkowski) is very moderate, and voted to convict Trump of insurrection.

"America is right of center, not left", my a$$. The center of our politics is the center. And those center politics are not right-wing. If this makes Republicans butt-hurt, then maybe evolve your views and start appealing to more types of people who aren't 75+ year old social conservatives (nice way to say bigots) and dying off.

The EC is a cheater's way to win. Even OP's daddy Trump recognized this. If you can't get the highest vote total in an election, then you don't carry the people's confidence, and shouldn't be our president. The president serves the people. The government serves the people. That is what a representative democracy is.
Right. And with all the information we now have at our fingertips, I wonder how much longer the majority of this country will accept the undeserved power enjoyed by the minority. Even Roberts Rules of Order for a business meeting don't allow that.

One person, one vote. I believe that's the way of the future. Enough heavily weighted votes for the people in middle of the US, compared to the coasts and big cities.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
The popular vote doesn't have to match the EC, THAT'S THE POINT OF THE EC.

When are people going to learn about the history of how our country came to be and the reasons why it was designed the way it is?
We all get that. That the popular vote doesn't match the EC.

What we don't get, is why that's right? Why that's just?

We do get that the EC was designed to skew the will of the people, in favor of some of the people. We'd like to revisit that.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:09 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I haven’t seen “banish the Electoral College” in either party’s platform. No one is pushing to eliminate the EC. No one is pushing a direct vote. There are some who would like to take the selection of electors completely out of the hands of voters and leave it up to the Governor or state legislature. That would truly be anti-democratic and I oppose it.
Well lookie here. After you posted no one is pushing to eliminate the EC, someone comes along stating they want to eliminate the EC.

Quote:

Enough of people in unpopulated areas having a much, much greater voice than people who live in populated areas.

There's no reason for people who happen to live in Nebraska, or Wyoming, to have a MUCH greater voting voice than people who live in Los Angeles or NYC.

We have popular votes for all elections except the Presidential election. It's time to change that.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:10 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
Quote:

Clara, curious as to what your age is.

I'm shocked you want to unAmerica America.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Well lookie here. After you posted no one is pushing to eliminate the EC, someone comes along stating they want to eliminate the EC.
*shrugs*

Fair is fair. We vote by popular opinion, and majority, on ALL of our elections except the President.

There's no reason, except a dedicated decision to hand over more of the power to less of the people, to have an EC and not elect our President by popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies