Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 08:39 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The right wing evangelical politicians in red states are dictating the terms at the moment.
I live in the South. The right-wing evangelical politicians are especially strong here. Even though Black Americans and White Southerners have being Evangelical as something to share in common, the voting patterns tell a different story, ESPECIALLY IN THE SOUTH. Most Blacks, regardless of their faith, vote Democrat. Most White Evangelicals in the South vote Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Fair enough as far as there was division then too and obviously through our history.

However, I don't remember a political party absolutely looking down on 1/2 the country with total distain and insulting them until the Obama years. That's why I only voted for him the first time. I fled the Democrat party when I saw what he and my old party started doing.

Not cool!
I remember Republicans looking down on Democrats, and Democrats looking down on Republicans. I saw alot of this in college. America has deeper problems that never got resolved, and it was only a matter of time before it reached the White House. When John McCain got booed at his own concession speech (by his supporters no less), that right there tells me how divided things have always been.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:54 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Most don't don't care about politics this much only POC goes on and on about it. How much time do you waste talking about it?

Old 12-05-2022, 07:19 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Fair enough as far as there was division then too and obviously through our history.

However, I don't remember a political party absolutely looking down on 1/2 the country with total distain and insulting them until the Obama years. That's why I only voted for him the first time. I fled the Democrat party when I saw what he and my old party started doing.

Not cool!
This political and social hatred and division even if started back in 2005 is still a relatively new thing compared to the decades of American history when it wasn't. Most of this hatred is coming from the Democrats and especially the liberal ones. I have experienced it over and over even in my own family. Someone is in deep denial here because they are so eager to defend the Democrats and to continue voting for them in spite of it. You find this denial especially true among minorities.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:13 AM

450 posts, read 252,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
[W]e have several states in the spot of the territories should we go to a parliamentary system to decide our president. These states include Alaska, Delaware, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming. They get two Senators and a single Representative to the House.
Montana acquired a second House seat because of the 2020 census.

https://my.lwv.org/montana/redistric...onal-districts

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistrictin...he_2020_census

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022...stricting-map/

Old 12-05-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Montana serves as a fitting example. People vote, land doesn't.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:30 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
And Joe Biden won 40% of the vote in Montana, in 2020. I know that doesn't fit the narrative of the misleading maps like the one that started this thread.

There's really no such thing as red states or blue states. That's just the whole, antiquated electoral system and media narrative, drilling home this whole divisive idea, polarizing this nation. If we ever do come to actual conflict, blame the EC.

Most every state is somewhere in the range of 40-60% liberal or conservative leaning, maybe a little more or less, but they're mostly all split somewhat near 50%. With the exception of DC, which is over 90% Democratic, but that's tiny and not a state.

And then the result of the overall vote is usually within a few percentage points. Biden got 51.3% of the total vote, and Trump got 46.8%. Clearly the nation is not blue or red, but a sea of shades of purple, and our politics should reflect that. Republicans in particular, should be able to be mainstream centrist and moderate enough to win plenty of support on the coasts. But the combination of the MAGA hard right recent turn of the party, and the winner take all EC system, has killed this, in favor of a war for battleground states. The electoral votes, or points, should be proportionally split out per state.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:34 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
And just because the Democrats are not going to be able to 'flip' a state like Oklahoma, doesn't mean they don't have plenty of support and voters there, and that these people's votes shouldn't count. Which currently under the EC system, their votes for president don't count, which I'm sure doesn't encourage a lot of fed up moderates and independents to bother to vote.

We also need ranked choice voting.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:03 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Montana serves as a fitting example. People vote, land doesn't.
See post #72 YET AGAIN!

This thread is not about votes or winning elections.

But as you have made the same false premise post 6 times now, you already knew that.

Old 12-05-2022, 03:05 PM

984 posts, read 442,942 times
Land mass doesn't vote, though. People do.

I get that you don't want to be told what to do. Since your profile says you live in a deep red state, I'm not sure what the problem is. What are you being forced to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies