Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 02:15 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Americans are known to be the "consumers of the world".
We are p*ss poor savers and go deep into debt to maintain our status of "consumer".

If Americans can't keep $400 in their bank accounts then no amount of change to our capitalistic system will help them.

People got stimulus checks, EITC, Child tax credit and still had empty bank accounts.
I agree, if you can't save 400 dollars there is something wrong going on. Every paycheck you should be paying your savings account like any other bill you have. Even it its just 20 bucks or so. It adds up quicker than you'd think.

Avoid impulse buys, eat out less often, ditch daily Starbucks drinks. Lots of ways to trim some fat from the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 03:27 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree, if you can't save 400 dollars there is something wrong going on. Every paycheck you should be paying your savings account like any other bill you have. Even it its just 20 bucks or so. It adds up quicker than you'd think.

Avoid impulse buys, eat out less often, ditch daily Starbucks drinks. Lots of ways to trim some fat from the budget.

Please tell this ^^^ to our politicians in DC ...they put us $31.5T in debt, & climbing.

In 1932, Gov't used to spend 10% of GDP, & now its up to 50%.

Please also tell Gavin Newsom since Cali spending per capita ranks near the worst:

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...:%22desc%22%7D

Cali's #12 in total tax burden by state:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

So, Gavin Newsom is a tax & spend Liberal. He would sink America's ecnomy even further into the abyss than Biden has.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:30 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
He is not running, but its interesting people fear him the most. Are there polls indicating he is popular among independents? Trump problem is that he is disliked by independents.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Today, ANY DEMOCRAT seems to be intent upon destroying the nation. Democrats have completely departed from our shared respect for the law and The Constitution and are as alien to us as a remote tribe in the Amazon rain forest. They have adopted a sports like mentality, such that anything done by "team blue" is acceptable, because that is the "team" they support. Democrats no longer look for individual policy issues that benefit the nation- only democrat victories, regardless of how detrimental and destructive they are to even the people who voted for them!

Todays democrats just see the world in a completely different fashion than conservatives and those two viewpoints are incompatible.

It is best, and inevitable, that we separate and leave the democrats to their self destruction. Sadly, they do not read and cannot learn from history that their path will end in disaster. The rest of us, who can read, simply do not want to be dragged down with them. Perhaps after dems completely destroy the places where they live and experience the true misery of their own policies, they might learn.

Well, it seems to me, that YOU are the one who hasn't learned from history with all your phantasmagorical apocalyptic posts

Old 07-09-2023, 03:54 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:

True. I cut back on going out to the bars from 2 to 1 day a week and I saved myself $80! Used that money to pay down a credit card. And I've lost some weight. win-win.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:57 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
WARNING...BREAKING NEWS!!!

So funny how so many of these posts are just screaming for attention with these hyperbolic headlines. In the meantime, the majority of people's lives are not changed one iota with a deficit or a surplus. Not to mention, most are easily explained away with some basic logic. No, the sky is not falling despite what people on this forum would lead you to believe with their one sided narratives (some of you might want to look up new business applications and see which states tend to always be in the top 3). I'll also never understand why people always seem to think "more" is better. When you're overcongested wtih people, a little relief is actually a good thing. Ask people in Texas how excited they are with out of control housing prices and property taxes as many get priced out of the area.

And for the upteenth time, the net change in population in California over the last two years is less than 1% per year (statistically insignificant and certainly not long enough to even call it a trend). The population is still over 39 million and most residents there would probably tell you they'd welcome about 10 million people leaving. In the meantime, homes still cost significantly more than the rest of the country which speaks to the desirability of the area. I say that as I sit in 100+ degree hit in Texas and probably looking to break a record or two this summer with the oppressive heat.

But oh yeah....WARNING..BREAKING NEWS!!!

Last edited by blameyourself; 07-09-2023 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-09-2023, 08:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He’s not running.
LOL. You're not paying attention. Of course he's running. He just hasn't announced yet. He's been selected to run in Biden's stead.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:53 PM

35,682 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
LOL. You're not paying attention. Of course he's running. He just hasn't announced yet. He's been selected to run in Biden's stead.
I’ve not heard that, but not been researching him either. I did watch part of the Fox interview, but will see.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:59 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:

If you can’t save 400 something is wrong. Yes. Like needing new tires or a transmission will eat through a small savings and them some. So will a trip to the dentist or other medical expense. These unexpected expenses have nothing to do with trimming the fat.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:02 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
If you can’t save 400 something is wrong. Yes. Like needing new tires or a transmission will eat through a small savings and them some. So will a trip to the dentist or other medical expense. These unexpected expenses have nothing to do with trimming the fat.
If these "unexpected" expenses happen on anything remotely resembling a regular basis such that you don't have $400 to your name, they're no longer "unexpected" and it's your fault for not expecting them.

Even if they're truly unexpected, it's your fault for not expecting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies