Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 03:20 PM

13,871 posts, read 8,072,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Got one old dude. Actually some wealthy people of color actually align with republicans because they follow the money. It’s about $$$BZ…
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65681752-post46.html

Old 08-12-2023, 03:21 PM

17,649 posts, read 17,756,446 times
Why is it surprising if some black people are walking away from the Democratic Party?
1. Democrats have been making promises and have controlled many large metropolitan cities for decades and yet their communities haven’t improved.
2. The national Democratic Party has advocated for open borders allowing an invasion from our southern border. This means competition for jobs and welfare benefits as well as competition for university education.
3. The results of soft on crime approach has led to a rise in crime. Mass theft and assault causing businesses to leave the communities. Rise of shootings with higher rates of murder.

It isn’t surprising that some would come to the conclusion that the Democratic Party isn’t working to improve life for the black community? What they’re actually doing is trying to get votes to remain in power. They’ll give lip service to various communities and create welfare type programs to those communities but don’t actually do anything meaningful to improve those communities through improved schools and access to education after public schools such as vocational programs, community colleges, and universities as well as through lowering rates of crime in those communities. This isn’t to say they’re turning Republican. It’s a realization that the Democratic Party isn’t their friend. It’s just another form of plantation.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:27 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
A lot of black people have conservative views on many issues. It's very common. I just hope these rappers de-stigmatize black conservatism.
But do they though? Or do they only do what their black militant pastors tell them to do? I’m thinking Farrakhan, Wright, Al Sharpton? Those guys have a financial interest in keeping the racist drum beating.

Even here, where I live, there is over 50% black population and many still wear masks, because their pastor told them not to get vaccinated, and they are in danger. Clearly they are not, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Free thinking is seemingly not encouraged.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:06 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of white people here talking about what party best represents the needs of black people. As though you have a fundamental clue what's going on with black people.
I'm seeing this from both liberals and conservatives, albeit in different ways.

Quote:
There are a lot of things about and within the so-called "community" of black people that you don't have a clue about.
This is indeed the case. I feel like even some well-intentioned persons, those who are coming to the table in good faith, don't understand everything.

Quote:
Black people in America have had a strong traditional social culture, mostly Christian. The biggest non-Christian impact over the last 50 years has been feminism, which has had a larger impact on black families than it has had until now on white families.
Of anyone in America, Black Americans are among the most religious. Most of us (including me) are Christians. And there are things that come with that. Black Americans are not as liberal as our voting patterns would indicate. Culturally, there are some things that don't line up with cultural leftism. While there have certainly been some leftist groups that come out of the Black American population, we're not as likely to be into that as some might thing. In my opinion, some of tolerate it as sort of a buffer against the far-right. I do agree that some of the most audacious comments made about the Black population come from those who don't know that much about the Black population.

Quote:
The biggest problem with Democrats right now--and you will see it expressed more in black men and black women--is that the Democratic Party has become strongly anti-male. That's pretty much why the only male they tolerate as a "leader" is a doddering old fool who will do what he's told...or any other male who is willing to do what he's told, rather than express any level of masculinity. Black men have noted that the Democratic Party is anti-male and are pushing back. If you don't specifically look for it, you won't see it, because the liberal press certainly isn't going to talk about it, and the right-wing press hasn't picked up on it yet.
I've been hearing alot more complaints from White males regarding the Democratic Party/liberals being anti-male. I haven't heard nearly as much from Black men. It's certainly there, but I'm not hearing nearly as much. Perhaps it is because the media doesn't pick up on it. If this is true, this is my theory. The liberal press doesn't want to stir anything up. The right-wing press doesn't have much to say about Blacks that is nice.

Quote:
That's not to say that black men are then going to flock to the Republican Party, because we don't necessarily see politics as a binary process.
As a Black American man in his 30s (age 37 to be specific), this is something I really need for more people to hear. Black men becoming more disappointed with the Democrats does not equal us flocking to the Republican Party. In fact, there are more Black men who will say NO to the GOP these days than yes. The thing is, we need to tell our side of the story. On this forum, we have individuals who seem to make such audacious comments and predictions about the Black population. However, I have to wonder how many Black people they know in their daily lives.

Quote:
Black people learned back in the bad old Jim Crow days to watch what a politician does, not just listen to what he says. So, down in the Jim Crow south every politician was a Democrat, but some were segregationist and a few were not...we knew which was which.
In the 1960s, it was much easier to tell who was whom. Said persons were alot more bold about who they were. As time has progressed, more politicians rely on dog whistle politics. Lee Atwater, who was an advisor for both Reagan and Bush, mentioned this. He mentioned that in the 1950s, politicians could get away with using the "N" word. And then by the late 1960s/early 1970s, they could not use such language. They would have to switch to stuff like "forced busing" and "states' rights" (Reagan used that as his shtick in 1980, in Mississippi no less). By the 1980s, it got even more abstract.

Quote:
We're still watching what Democrats are doing, and right now the anti-male feminists (both Radical Feminists and Liberal Feminists) have a stranglehold on the party. It's causing a rift between the sexes, because most black women are firmly tied to the Democratic Party for that reason.

But black men are not binary about politics.
I would be disingenuous to ignore the growing anti-male strain within the Democratic Party. I'm starting to see it. However, it is very difficult for me to consider going to the Republican side. The radicals on the left have basically run amok with radical feminism.

Nothing has done more damage between Black men and Black women like 3rd wave feminism. This "I don't need a man" mindset has caused damage that welfare never could. So many people will look at Black Americans from the outside and say "welfare did this, cut of welfare and Black people will get better". I say no to this. White people can get welfare just as easily as Black people. In fact, at one time it was much easier for Whites to get welfare than Blacks. This didn't stop Black Americans from having higher rates of divorce, single parent homes, and fractured households relative to the American population at large. And I'm talking in relative terms.

No one ever asks about the impact that 3rd wave feminism played in the further rise of broken homes within the Black population. It all gets blamed on welfare. Relatively high welfare dependency is a symptom, not a cause. No one ever asks why some women picked welfare over having a man in the home. No one has ever considered that Black MEN have higher rates of unemployment than Black women. Black women are more likely to work than women of any other race. Black men are more likely to be UNEMPLOYED than men of any other race. For this reason, I can't blame welfare for the problems we're seeing.

Black men know that the anti-male current within the Democratic Party is real. At the same time, we also know the anti-Black current is there within the GOP. We have to pick between the anti-male party who at least has some pity towards Black men, vs the party that has a higher percentage of those with that anti-Black current that is more likely to be hard on Black men.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:27 AM

7,971 posts, read 3,509,364 times
Blacks questioning their loyalty to the democrats is a good thing whether they turn to the GOP or not. That said they are still voting for democrats at a rate of 90 percent or so and as long as that remains true they will be considered a monolithic voting block and pandered to accordingly.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:40 AM

24,713 posts, read 9,518,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Easy answer, they are all rich and have money....and the Dems keep telling them they should give more of their money to the Government. Da it's not rocket science. It's amazing how when people who are self made wealthy become wealthy they don't want to support the Political Party that wants to take it away.
Excellent post and agreed.

Imagine being a hard working black billionaire like Michael Jordan or Oprah and Democrats still want their hands in your pockets for “reparations” for the lazy ones. (We know this money is just going to Zelensky)

If the current state of the black community is the best democrats can do, blacks are better off not voting at all. I know a lot of folks who hate Obama, that was the last time they ever voted Democrat. 8 years of an empty suit.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:02 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,170,860 times
I’m willing to wager that it’s because their rich and democrats want to tax and spend, with resultant negligible upside for the black community.

Importing masses of colorist migrants, which is also diluting black political and economic power is another big one.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:25 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,780,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I’m willing to wager that it’s because their rich and democrats want to tax and spend, with resultant negligible upside for the black community.

Importing masses of colorist migrants, which is also diluting black political and economic power is another big one.
You could listen to Ice Cube’s interviews. While he’s an independent and not a Republican, his reasons for not voting Dem are not about protecting his money.

Speaking of money, we were all better off financially under Trump, not. Just the wealthy, all of us.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I think it’s going to happen to some extent whether you like it or not. Maybe not necessarily due to rappers, but because it will be more apparent that government Dems continue to let people down.
Do you really know that for a fact? Everything that I'm seeing around me doesn't seem to indicate that. And I live in the South, where there are more Blacks than any other region.

Old 08-13-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Sure it does or the woman who wrote the article wouldn't have cared
It matters to her. I don't see many Black people being influenced by Ice Cube. At least not around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.