Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 05:16 AM

30,284 posts, read 11,928,829 times

Advertisements

I am not for this. In fact all his court cases should be suspended until after the election. I think the fairest way to deal with Trump and his legal issues is to let the voters decide. Plenty of time after the election to deal with all of that. That is the only real way to keep politics out of this. However it will probably be the SCOTUS that will decide if these various charges can go forward now and the 14th amendment chatter that is gaining steam. My gut feeling is the SCOTUS will dismiss all of the court cases except the NY state case and perhaps the documents case the document case on the basis that executive privilege insulates a sitting president from being charged for crimes while in office. Those two cases were before and after. And the only institution that can do anything is congress through the impeachment and conviction process.

Could the 14th Amendment keep Trump off the ballot in 2024?

Before any votes are cast in the 2024 presidential election, Donald Trump could face a legal battle on multiple fronts over whether he even has the right to be on the ballot. Some scholars and liberal groups are stepping up efforts to disqualify the former president based on a post-Civil War provision of the 14th Amendment.

They argue that under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, Trump is ineligible for the presidency because he took the oath of office and subsequently “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” or gave “aid or comfort to the enemies” during the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection.

Now, election officials around the country are considering how to navigate the issue, which could be decided on a state-by-state basis. The issue has already come to the fore in states including Arizona, Michigan and New Hampshire.

Some nonprofits — including Free Speech For People and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) — are moving forward with a push to get states on board with their argument and are preparing lawsuits as the Republican presidential primaries near.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-06-2023 at 05:30 AM..

Old 09-06-2023, 05:20 AM

29,884 posts, read 25,019,885 times
In order for something like that to legitimately work, there would have had to have been an actual insurrection or rebellion to speak of. Just because the highly partisan lame stream media burned the work "insurrection" in the minds of the easily brainwashed, it doesn't mean an insurrection actually occurred. The FBI even stated, Jan 6th was not an insurrection.

I think both the GOP and the DNC has an interest in removing Trump from the ballot. Might they work together to make that happen? I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:20 AM

8,060 posts, read 3,562,325 times
As long as there is a write in box on the ballot Trump cannot be taken off of it because people will put his name there manually.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:22 AM

4,596 posts, read 2,308,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
As long as there is a write in box on the ballot Trump cannot be taken off of it because people will put his name there manually.

They can go ahead. It will only p*ss off millions of people, threaten our democracy, prove that the dems are fascists and make me pull out a pen and write in Donald J Trump.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:25 AM

45,600 posts, read 60,912,159 times
The last time Democrats kept a Republican Presidential candidate off the ballot it was Abraham Lincoln in 1860.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:28 AM

89,366 posts, read 45,091,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
In order for something like that to legitimately work, there would have had to have been an actual insurrection or rebellion to speak of. Just because the highly partisan lame stream media burned the work "insurrection" in the minds of the easily brainwashed, it doesn't mean an insurrection actually occurred. The FBI even stated, Jan 6th was not an insurrection.
This ^^^.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exc...es-2021-08-20/

Old 09-06-2023, 05:33 AM

39,128 posts, read 51,396,292 times
If he were ruled ineligible by voting officials and it held up to judicial scrutiny, it would not matter if people wrote him in. He could not serve even if he won, which would be highly unlikely in a write in movement.

But, not to worry. This talk about the 14th is just political musing pumped up by the media coverage. It ain't gonna happen.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:36 AM

45,600 posts, read 60,912,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If he were ruled ineligible by voting officials and it held up to judicial scrutiny, it would not matter if people wrote him in. He could not serve even if he won, which would be highly unlikely in a write in movement.

But, not to worry. This talk about the 14th is just political musing pumped up by the media coverage. It ain't gonna happen.
Yeah, media figures like Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA),

Old 09-06-2023, 05:43 AM

13,718 posts, read 9,052,864 times
As I noted in another thread, there must be some kind of procedure, instead of the Secretary of States of the several states simply asserting that Mr. Trump is not eligible to be on the state's Presidential ballot.

Several Constitutional lawyers have argued that the 14th is 'self executing', which I think is nonsense, unless it were Mr. Trump that self-executed.

As noted before, Mr. Meadow's filed a motion in Federal district court (Georgia) to have his criminal case removed from the state court to said Federal court. The federal statute is very specific: Mr. Meadow's must argue that he was a Federal official acting within the scope of his official duties.

This does open the door for the Federal judge to find that Mr. Meadow's was acting in an illegal manner; that he was a participant in promoting rebellion or insurrection, and thus he is barred from holding public office again under the 14th. That would set up appeals to, eventually, the Supreme Court.

As for holding future public office: I imagine that Mr. Meadow's realizes that such is not in his future anyway, so little to lose.

To date, Mr. Trump has not filed a motion for removal, presumably based on the above possibility.

Some groups have filed suits arguing that Mr. Trump should be kept off the ballot, but they may have difficulty in proving 'standing'.

I think that some Republican, already running, could have standing to sue to remove Mr. Trump off ballots, since they could argue that they are directly affected by his being on the ballot. Yet, I don't see any Republican doing so.

I doubt that this is the last we will hear of this movement. We must keep an eye on how the Federal judge rules in Mr. Meadow's motion.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:46 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,341,365 times
Honestly I can't tell if the democrats are being brilliant or stupid here. I don't believe Trump will ever get elected because he will never get the moderate vote, so keeping him off the ballot is probably a bad idea. Weaponizing the institutions against him will only perhaps drive more moderates to vote for him. Anyone paying attention sees the ruling class do all the same things Trump does, so they are the pot calling the kettle black.

Whoever runs to take his place is likely to get more moderate votes than him. His supporters who think he can gather the moderate vote are simply delusional, so democrats will be doing the republican party a favor if they keep Trump out of the nomination, because as it stands Trump is basically fracturing the republican party.

I think the correct strategy is for democrats to simply ignore him while at the same time nominating someone other than Biden. They absolutely cannot run Biden again. That would be flawed strategy, as would nominating another 75 year old baby boomer half in their grave. In any case, the ruling class must really see Trump's anti-immigration stance as a huge threat, given it's the one issue they force feed upon us against our will over any other. Daddy corporations want their cheap labor force. The ruling class want their "diversity" and "equity" as a divide and conquer strategy. They really want white, middle class Americans disarmed. That is their main goal. This group of people is the main thing standing between them and autocratic rule.

I know Leo from actualized.org has a really anti-trump bias. I'm convinced a lot of them are stuck believing the leftist narratives fed to them by the ruling class though. Yes Trump is immature, but he's no threat to the country. The real threat are the intellectual leftists who have autocratic/authoritarian tendencies and beliefs or have this belief that "communism hasn't really been done properly" ... human nature dictates it will never work. Despite their "pro-democracy" rhetoric, leftists have authoritarian tendencies which they are simply blind too.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-06-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies