Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 09:07 AM

175 posts, read 68,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why not just shoot for the moon at $200 an hour? That way, a waffle person with nearly no skills at all could make more than people who spend 12 years of their lives in money and training perfecting their career skills.
Well, ultimately that's the problem right? When do we stop mandating companies pay workers more and why? What's the limit?

The fact is, being a fry-cook at Waffle House isn't a job that pays well. Why? Because Waffle House is cheap fast-casual dining where a person can get a pretty large breakfast for less than $10. It's cheap for a reason. There's a market for cheap breakfast. There isn't a market for a $25/hr fry-cook preparing cheap breakfasts. There never will be a market for a $25/hr fry-cook to prepare breakfasts that cost less than $10. If wages increase to that level, MOST fast-casual dining establishments across the U.S. will close or automate. The one's that remain will charge more for their food. That's reality. So fry-cooks everywhere will simply be unemployed.

Then what do we do? If those same unemployed fry-cooks start collecting aluminum cans to recycle, do we increase the recycling fees to $1/can so they can "afford" a nice home and new car? Sodas will be $30/six-pack, but that's okay right? Of course, most people won't pay $30/six-pack for soda, so Coca Cola will go out of business too, but don't worry, we'll artificially inflate wages in another market sector to make up for it!

It's a never-ending cycle. And it's stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 09:14 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
These are Head of Household women...single mothers.
I was a single head of household woman-single mother.
But women have always held these jobs, now they just don't have an SO around (divorced, never married, widowed). That is why it is important for women to get an education and/or job training.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:16 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was a single head of household woman-single mother.
But women have always held these jobs, now they just don't have an SO around (divorced, never married, widowed). That is why it is important for women to get an education and/or job training.
Looks like they'd rather sit and wait for "more money".
The SIEU seems to be behind this.

I worked FF when I was 16 but by 18 I was out of it and in another job..office job while going to college.

Back then those types of jobs were for teens (spending money) and SAHM's (spending money).

But it seems today that the min wage job should support a family.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:19 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,596,109 times
Was in a local Waffle House a couple of years ago. i'd say that most of the workers were at the top of their "career", having fulfilled the Peter Principle....

Old 10-17-2023, 09:20 AM

175 posts, read 68,796 times
Quote:

I worked FF when I was 16 but by 18 I was out of it and in another job..office job while going to college.

Back then those types of jobs were for teens (spending money) and SAHM's (spending money).

Same. But it was the army for me. Then college.

It baffles me that anyone thinks a FF job should pay as much as skilled labor or a college education.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:22 AM

1,441 posts, read 672,225 times
I agree they work pretty hard but not $25 an hour hard.
I do like Waffle House. Wish we had one.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:24 AM

15,540 posts, read 10,524,428 times
It's too much money, but I will say this Waffle House folks work their butt's off.

Last edited by elan; 10-17-2023 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-17-2023, 09:24 AM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesian123 View Post
Same. But it was the army for me. Then college.

It baffles me that anyone thinks a FF job should pay as much as skilled labor or a college education.
maybe they don't want to gain new skills or go to a 2 year college or look for a new job.
It's easier to stay and cry especially when you have a union backing you.

They don't want to live in poverty yet they don't want to do anything to better themselves about it.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Seems so. Shortly after my husband died I lost my job. I had already done the waiting tables thing in HS and worked myself up to a good paying job. Then the bottom fell out so I went back to school so I could get a good job in another field. I had to work two low paying part time jobs compatible with school and family for a few years. I had no intention of server being my career goal for raising two kids because even though I made good tips and we got by I knew it was not a long-term livable wage job.
I'm not sure why people think these jobs are meant to be a breadwinning, house buying, family raising career choice.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's too much money, but I will say this those folks work their butt's off.
Thing is people don't get paid more for working their butt off. Generally hard labor jobs don't pay near as much as skilled jobs. That is why people go to university or lean a skilled trade. Most people work their butts off earning their degree and competing for positions, then work their way up the ladder. Those jobs are often long hours and a lot of stress as well.

Honestly if I wasn't as old as dirt I would rather have the job of server I had back in college. It was loads more fun and relatively stress/responsibility free. If those jobs ever pay what I make now I would switch jobs in a heartbeat, well if I wasn't as old as dirt. I dont think me in heals and a cocktail dress would go over too good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies