Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 12:17 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Don't marines already sign up for an 8 year commitment?
Depending on your MOS it can be 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 12:26 PM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
If it sounds about right to you, then I suspect that you are going to run right down and enlist...right?

But seriously, you talk about the "private sector". The same training you talk about here is the same thing that happens in the private sector. If a kid is just right out of school, the company they work for could be spending 10's of thousands to train them. With no or only a minimum requirement. I've been with a couple of companies that if they paid for special training they would require you to stay with the company for 6-12 months after the training. Nowhere near 8 years.
I spent 24 years in uniform, plus 7 more years in the AOR as a contractor. So 31 years total and counting.

I would do it all again, no questions asked. I’d even laugh at the DEI nonsense they have going on today, then ignore it and get back to work.

8 years is chump change.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
The thread title is quite misleading, I wonder why it was phrased that way?

From the article below, "active duty" Space Force will include the new "not on sustained duty” part-time classification. So that may be part of the recruiting proposition.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...o-space-guard/

Old 02-21-2024, 12:39 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Air Force pilots are required to serve 10 years AFTER completing training. My cousin's kid is a nuclear operator in the Navy and had to sign up for 6 years. I am sure many other military occupations require extended service commitments.

Apparently, the Space Force requires a lot of training so they would like to retain people. I see nothing wrong with this. If a kid wants the training they will agree. I don't imagine being in the Space Force would be as hard a life as an infantryman so eight years would be a walk in the park. I wonder if they ever face "deployment"?

Old 02-21-2024, 01:00 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Air Force pilots are required to serve 10 years AFTER completing training. My cousin's kid is a nuclear operator in the Navy and had to sign up for 6 years. I am sure many other military occupations require extended service commitments.

Apparently, the Space Force requires a lot of training so they would like to retain people. I see nothing wrong with this. If a kid wants the training they will agree. I don't imagine being in the Space Force would be as hard a life as an infantryman so eight years would be a walk in the park. I wonder if they ever face "deployment"?
I'd guess deployment is from behind a computer.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Good luck with that. What an idiot!
Simply put but ohhhh so accurate.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:28 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
LOL. Recruitment is in the tank. Hmm, what can we do to hurt it even further. Oh, I KNOW!

Old 02-21-2024, 01:40 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
In 1975, those that wanted certain job titles under "Electronics" had to sign up for 6 years of active duty for the Air Force.

As far as "training and experience", if you haven't been in the military, you need to understand that many only do a very small part of the entire job, thus only know and have experience in that area. Probably the best field to take with one when they leave the military is "cooking". Also, many jobs don't need nearly as many of a higher rank, so they would need to lock some out of being promoted, as the lower ranks are the real workers, and we need them.

This is just another attempt at the Biden Administration at allowing these military age men, for whom we have no background info except from the moment they invaded our country from 160 foreign countries, to join the military to earn citizenship. Say NO to that! Seriously, do you want to train and arm our foreign enemies? I suppose that would draw more in for the military training to take back to their 3rd world dive.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:46 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
The United States Space Force
Ummm ...

Well, Picard's Enterprise went on a 7-year mission. So what's one more year?

This is a classic example of right-wingers looking for something to blame on Biden that's the biggest no-big-friggin-deal imaginable.

Not to mention that it's merely being considered, not implemented yet.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:49 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'd guess deployment is from behind a computer.
It would be cooler if it were to the ISS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies