Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 07:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Biden is NOT the "Commander in Chief". That title is only given when the United States is in a war. Biden's proxy war in Ukraine does not count.
I suggest reading the Constitution before making comments on subjects you're not familiar. Article II of the Constitution states:

Quote:
Section 2.
The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
1. Wasn’t the Space Force Trump’s idea?

2. Having read the article, it makes sense that it would take longer to ramp up the specialized skills and knowledge needed to contribute to a brand new military branch.

3. It’s good that the Space Force rep is letting potential recruits know what they are in for.

4. The article doesn’t mention Biden.

5. Would we feel differently if this happened during a Republican presidency?

Old 02-22-2024, 07:43 AM

1,224 posts, read 513,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If I was in charge of military recruiting, I would offer a signing bonus of $ 5,000 for two years of military service, $ 10,000 for four years. Two years would be the minimum requirement.
They are probably offering very good bonuses. Last time I checked the Army's bonuses they were eye popping.

Old 02-22-2024, 07:55 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Don't marines already sign up for an 8 year commitment?
If you count the reserve commitment after finishing active duty it is 8 years. A friend of mine who was a 9/12 volunteer Iraq War infantryman got a recall notice for the Afghanistan surge. He had just before that been turned down from the California Highway Patrol for PTS related reasons. In the end the Marines decided to let him remain in the reserves and he became a an Air National Guardsman. And then on the next try the CHP accepted him.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I spent 24 years in uniform, plus 7 more years in the AOR as a contractor. So 31 years total and counting.

I would do it all again, no questions asked. I’d even laugh at the DEI nonsense they have going on today, then ignore it and get back to work.

8 years is chump change.
8 years is chump change for someone who has served for over 3 Decades.

But what was your original commitment?

Unless your original commitment was 8-years. The problem with your experience is that you can't answer legitimately if the 8-year commitment would have scared you off because you have already had the experience of your service.

I don't know if 8-years is going to affect anything. But if anything and someone is determined to join the military it could push them away from this to a branch that has less of a commitment. Even something like 6 years could be more palatable. They do training for 2 years and serve for 4.

Even Military academies such as West Point only require a 5-year commitment of Active Duty.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
1. Wasn’t the Space Force Trump’s idea?

2. Having read the article, it makes sense that it would take longer to ramp up the specialized skills and knowledge needed to contribute to a brand new military branch.

3. It’s good that the Space Force rep is letting potential recruits know what they are in for.

4. The article doesn’t mention Biden.

5. Would we feel differently if this happened during a Republican presidency?
1) Yes Trump created this branch of service

2) The skills they are performing were done previously under the Navy & Airforce Commands

3) This is just an opinion piece from 1 person no program requires 8 years not even Nuclear Power in the Navy.

4) Quite true

5) They would be falling over themselves to compliment what a brilliant insight and plan this is...

Old 02-22-2024, 09:32 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://popularmilitary.com/some-new...PMjM2DZ0sCi7Dg

This is absurd folks. The commander in chief is turning military service into North Korean military servitude.

No wonder they can’t find new recruits, or keep recruits in.

This is what dictatorship looks like.
Joey Biden is a five (5 ) time Draft dodger. He thinks he knows how to fix the military ...LOL

Old 02-22-2024, 09:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No thanks.

I think that will be the general consensus, and recruitment figures will just decline even further.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:32 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
8 years is too much, I agree.

As Lily mentioned , instead of a crazy long contract, just throw incentives. Ya know, like maybe take some of that 'migrant' money and put it this way?

I did my four and got out. I was right out of high school. I can't imagine having to make an 8 year decision like that at 18 years old. Could be miserable.
The article said most of the people who sign up for Space Force are in their mid-20's. Space Force is one of only 2 branches that are not having trouble recruiting. I don't think it can be compared to other branches because the training in technical proficiency is much more extensive and much more expensive than it is for other branches. That's the reason they want a longer commitment.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-22-2024 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies