Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 01:51 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
In 1975, those that wanted certain job titles under "Electronics" had to sign up for 6 years of active duty for the Air Force.

As far as "training and experience", if you haven't been in the military, you need to understand that many only do a very small part of the entire job, thus only know and have experience in that area. Probably the best field to take with one when they leave the military is "cooking". Also, many jobs don't need nearly as many of a higher rank, so they would need to lock some out of being promoted, as the lower ranks are the real workers, and we need them.

This is just another attempt at the Biden Administration at allowing these military age men, for whom we have no background info except from the moment they invaded our country from 160 foreign countries, to join the military to earn citizenship. Say NO to that! Seriously, do you want to train and arm our foreign enemies? I suppose that would draw more in for the military training to take back to their 3rd world dive.
Except this is basically an opinion piece with no mention of thee President or his administration, just 1 Master Sergeant expressing his view. Nothing reflects that illegal immigrants will be allowed to serve or to be eligible for any of the clearances a position like this would require.

And the Navy was also a 6 year commitment for Advances Electronics and the Nuclear Programs back in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 01:51 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It would be cooler if it were to the ISS.
Maybe in another 10-20 years! It would absolutely be cooler.

Old 02-21-2024, 02:10 PM

1,022 posts, read 528,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://popularmilitary.com/some-new...PMjM2DZ0sCi7Dg

This is absurd folks. The commander in chief is turning military service into North Korean military servitude.

No wonder they can’t find new recruits, or keep recruits in.

This is what dictatorship looks like.
It is still voluntary. Better offer those fat signing bonuses for an 8 year gig though.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:44 PM

501 posts, read 197,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Ummm ...

Well, Picard's Enterprise went on a 7-year mission. So what's one more year?

This is a classic example of right-wingers looking for something to blame on Biden that's the biggest no-big-friggin-deal imaginable.

Not to mention that it's merely being considered, not implemented yet.
Correct. There is no "demand" for new recruits — Army, Marines, Navy, USAF, you name it — to enlist for eight years. The topic header is nothing short of misleading. I've no idea why the term "dictatorship" would be used in association with said link or article.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:47 PM

1,874 posts, read 649,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To a young person right out of school, and eight year commitment to an organization they know little about, is not going to go over well at all.

Four years of active service is already too much for a lot of people who regretted their decision to join. You impose an eight year contract on these people, and you will have a lot of disgruntled people, and disciplinary and morale problems
Four yrs is a reasonable contract term for enlisted.

Each branch have its own time in basic training then some additional individual training before specialized training according to whatever MOS/AFSC/NEC, so let us say 9 months. Then after some specialized training such as Electronics, we would be looking at 1 to 1.5 yrs before being assigned to a unit. Then once at a unit, there could be some additional training such as specific to the F-16 fighter or the M1 tank. So now we are looking at near or at 2 yrs. The last two yrs are spent on actually working at your job and functioning inside an organization with unit cohesion, morale, and all that. After that four yrs, you would know quite certain if the military is for you for the long term, or honorably exit.

Four yrs is a good term.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:17 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Good luck finding people sign up for that trap
Exactly. My initial contract was 6 years in the Air Force (they promoted it as a quick way to make rank). I then re-enlisted for another 4. In hindsight I would’ve just signed up for 4 and got out. Many people, including myself, assumed we could easily do the 20 years then retire but after 10 I was over it.

To demand folks now do 8 off the bat is just too much, definitely a trap for unsuspecting young recruits.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:22 PM

6,666 posts, read 2,969,843 times
8 years is too much, I agree.

As Lily mentioned , instead of a crazy long contract, just throw incentives. Ya know, like maybe take some of that 'migrant' money and put it this way?

I did my four and got out. I was right out of high school. I can't imagine having to make an 8 year decision like that at 18 years old. Could be miserable.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:34 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To a young person right out of school, and eight year commitment to an organization they know little about, is not going to go over well at all.

Four years of active service is already too much for a lot of people who regretted their decision to join. You impose an eight year contract on these people, and you will have a lot of disgruntled people, and disciplinary and morale problems
I agree. The military already has a huge problem with suicides because young people feel they “signed their life away.” 8 years is not the answer. If they’re tired of troops leaving to the private sector, then pay them more.

All this is doing is trapping more young recruits who don’t understand what they’re doing. It took me years to figure out if I wanted to stay in service and do 20 or if I wanted to get out, let a lone making recruits do 8 years off the bat.

It only takes recruits a few years to realize they could make more as a contractor, and now they want to put an end to it. Morale issues, disciplinary issues, AWOL issues, etc. will be increased.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:45 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
If they were smart they would offer to pay student loans off for maybe a 4 year enlistment.

At least it would get the kids some real world experience and keep them off Reddit.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:33 PM

1,022 posts, read 528,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If they were smart they would offer to pay student loans off for maybe a 4 year enlistment.

At least it would get the kids some real world experience and keep them off Reddit.
I dont think 8 years is too long, as long as the person knows what they are signing up for. It cant just be a recruiter making his quota that does the paperwork.

Back in 1988, I recall they were offering Navy FC2 types (skilled E-5, typically on a 2nd enlistment already), ship board Fire Controlmen, 28K to re-enlist for 6 years. In 1988 dollars, that was a chunk, and could pay off a student loan that was typical back then. Or they could use the money to put down on a house, and work against it for a few years longer.

Re-enlistment bonuses can work. I took one in 1999 for $30K to enlist for 5 more years at the 15 year mark, bringing me to 20 years at that point.

It all worked for me, and I popped out the other end with loads of credible experience and a new job that started me out at $83K a year. No complaints here.

The woke DEI garbage that has seeped into the military is a bigger threat to morale than long enlistments that one knowingly signs up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies