Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 67,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://popularmilitary.com/some-new...PMjM2DZ0sCi7Dg

This is absurd folks. The commander in chief is turning military service into North Korean military servitude.

No wonder they can’t find new recruits, or keep recruits in.

This is what dictatorship looks like.
Yeah, that is absurd. I agree. They do have a real problem with recruiting/retention though.

Most of my friends who have recently retired from the military couldn't wait to get out. They told me that they were carefully counting the days and trying their best not to get in trouble with the "DEI/WOKE" police that are targeting soldiers who don't play the game. That is not sustainable.

For those of you who don't know, the military has it's own legal system called "Uniform Code of Military Justice" and when you're on active duty you have no choice but to follow lawful orders. So if you end up with a trans lieutenant who's crazy, your stuck with them until you transfer out of that unit. In the meantime, you have to follow their orders and tolerate their ridiculousness, no matter what you might think of them or their leadership ability. The Army will punish you, even put you in jail, if you fail to comply with their orders. And if you don't think that power gets abused by new young leaders all the time then you've never served. In fact, a large part of what good senior NCO's and officers do, is educate/train new leaders as they come up through the ranks. But what I'm being told by guys serving today is that the new crop of "DEI/WOKE" recruits are not amenable to being trained, moreover they approach everything with a sense of entitlement and refuse to take constructive criticism from their leaders. If you call them out for poor performance, they report you for being racist, or transphobic, or some other BS and the burden immediately falls on your to prove your not. That's a massive shift from the days when a young sergeant could chew a private's ass for not getting the job done and the command would back him. Nobody wants to be a young NCO in today's Army. It's not worth it.

Also, historically, libs don't join the military. Conservatives join the military. That's also just true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 11:19 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Don't marines already sign up for an 8 year commitment?

Old 02-21-2024, 11:20 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Why not just make it a lifetime commitment? That would be just about as appealing for a potential recruit.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
These aren’t bullet stoppers, these are space systems operators, cyber operators, developmental engineers, geospatial, etc.

I’ve seen it many times in the past. Guys join up, do 4 years, and then go to work in the private sector making serious cash, taking all that experience with them, only to be replaced by a kid who hasn’t accrued all the specialty schools yet. Thats a net loss for the US military.

8 years seems about right to me.

Now if you are asking a guy to grab an M4 or M16 and deploy to a combat zone, that’s a whole different thing, and 8 years would be outrageous to demand.
If it sounds about right to you, then I suspect that you are going to run right down and enlist...right?

But seriously, you talk about the "private sector". The same training you talk about here is the same thing that happens in the private sector. If a kid is just right out of school, the company they work for could be spending 10's of thousands to train them. With no or only a minimum requirement. I've been with a couple of companies that if they paid for special training they would require you to stay with the company for 6-12 months after the training. Nowhere near 8 years.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:31 AM

14,228 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
maybe if you are a MARSOC or in a highly specialized MOS

My brother joined the Marines in 2016 as a grunt and he got out in 2020

Old 02-21-2024, 11:50 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
maybe if you are a MARSOC or in a highly specialized MOS

My brother joined the Marines in 2016 as a grunt and he got out in 2020
I was in an MOS where we spent the first two years on our contract just going to training schools. It was a common requirement that if you chose this particular field, you had to sign a contract where you gave six years of active duty. But asking a person to commit to eight years before they even enter boot camp, might be a bit too much for many people. The job was so complex and vast, that you spent two years after school learning the systems and equipment, before you were competent enough to work on your own.

Last edited by Wapasha; 02-21-2024 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-21-2024, 12:01 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Nope. My granddaughter is a Marine recruiter.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:03 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Hey, whatever it takes to continuously weaken our military.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:03 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
No, it'a 4.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:12 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Hey, whatever it takes to continuously weaken our military.
Again, it's just for the space force, and it's because the training is much more extensive, being sent to technical training schools, etc. Why should they keep investing $100,000 or more to train people in the highly technical space force, just to have them leave after the training?

It is not like any of the other branches of military. In fact recruits for other branches are only required to score 31 or higher on ASVAB test, but for Space Force it has to be in the 60's. And again, a recruit who signed up for the 8 years is more than qualifed for technical jobs after they leave, which is not true of the other branches, who really teach nothing that translates to a decent job after service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies