Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 09:18 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You have to be pretty much of a lowlife to commit retail theft, but stealing from a Dollar Store? That's bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.
News reports some of the Dollar stores employees were being held up and robbed they are open to 9-10pm at night only have 2 sometimes 1 employee working later shifts due to the low pay.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:56 AM

11,799 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
News reports some of the Dollar stores employees were being held up and robbed they are open to 9-10pm at night only have 2 sometimes 1 employee working later shifts due to the low pay.
How many employees do you need kell? When I worked for a diary/bakery store that also had an ice cream parlor in it - there were 2 - maybe 3 employees to man it. We hustled and did our jobs. When summer came - we might have 2 working the ice cream and 2 working the dairy/bakery but when winter came - it was 2 people per shift. We were open - 7 am until 10 pm.

I don't know why so many here feel the need to have 4,5,6,10 employees when the work load can be handled by 2-3. Maybe because they've never done this type of work and sit in a cubicle in a room with 30-50 other people. So they think every job requires a lot of people.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:10 AM

6,751 posts, read 3,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Welcome to Joe Biden's America.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:41 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I can tell you the vast majority of the theft is coming from employees not external theft. In any retail operation the majority of the shrink is internal. There are no roving bands of shoplifting crews hitting dollar stores. More than likely their losses are due to them running a bare bones operation with little to no internal controls to prevent loss.

Making this into a political football is weak sauce guys.
I suspect you are correct in this assessment.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:54 AM

718 posts, read 761,875 times
Quote:
I can tell you the vast majority of the theft is coming from employees not external theft. In any retail operation the majority of the shrink is internal. There are no roving bands of shoplifting crews hitting dollar stores. More than likely their losses are due to them running a bare bones operation with little to no internal controls to prevent loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I suspect you are correct in this assessment.
Internal theft is expected, and most companies already that into consideration. But clearly the closing now is due to the extra external theft activity, not just dollar stores, look at target, and other big box stores.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:38 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I'd have to agree that this is a widespread restructure so unlike the Walmart closings that were few and in specific areas where they don't prosecute petty crime, I think it's a stretch to try to turn this into political hay.

There is no reason too anyway, many areas like San Fran are reversing policies so it's not like they're denying they've got a problem they helped make.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:55 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:

Incorrect.

Dollar Tree has said they have a massive external theft problem. This is straight from their mouth. Cameras, security guards, etc. did not fix it. Self checkout lines are also being rolled back.

Quote:
(NewsNation) — Theft continues to plague Dollar Tree Inc. and its Family Dollar chain, a persistent issue that has only worsened amid plans to shutter hundreds of underperforming locations, the company said Wednesday.

During an earnings call, Dollar Tree executives revealed the discount retailer’s efforts to install more security cases and hire more guards have failed to curb the rampant shoplifting that has long vexed dollar stores.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/busine...-closures/amp/

Quote:
Theft just keeps getting worse for Dollar Tree
Quote:
The increase in theft comes despite efforts to combat it. Last year, Dollar Tree locked some items up and put others behind checkouts to deter would-be shoplifters. The changes were part of what Dreiling called "a very defensive approach" to the problem during an earnings call last summer.
https://www.businessinsider.com/thef...lar-2024-3?amp
Quote:
Dollar General is rolling back self-checkout in thousands of stores
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/03/14/b...dollar-general

Old 03-17-2024, 09:35 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I've been inside of dollar stores. I notice something about them. Alot of dollar stores are poorly kept up. Very often, the merchandise doesn't have the best organization. I also notice that many of such stores can be found in rough neighborhoods. In some neighborhoods, these are the only places around that count as grocery stores. And more than any other store, I notice more of the surly types hanging around. I'm not surprised to hear about rampant theft in such stores. Those are the easiest places to steal from, even with the cameras around.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You have to be pretty much of a lowlife to commit retail theft, but stealing from a Dollar Store? That's bottom-of-the-barrel stuff.
My guess is because the items aren't locked away, but I doubt such cheaply made products are being fenced. People are probably just stealing everyday items they need at home.

Walk in…filled a bag up with goods and walk out. I suspect many who have been stealing regularly for the past few years don’t think twice anymore.

Anyway speaking of store theft: I was in Home Depot (85205) last week and noticed all of the power tools are locked away. An employee told me about a recent incident where a woman tried to push a cart with 3k worth of goods out the door. However, she was stopped, and the police called.

Last edited by john3232; 03-17-2024 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-17-2024, 02:34 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
My local dollar general has no more than 2 employees there at any time and usually you only see one at the register. There is crap everywhere constantly and stuff in crates on the floor waiting to be put up. I don’t like going there but it’s quick for small stuff.

I have no idea if that store has a theft problem but anyone could walk out of there with full baskets and it’s a 50/50 as to if the store employee would even see it since both may be stocking shelves between running back and forth to the register, if there are even two employees there to begin with.

Looks like a horrible job that pays less than Walmart. And a bad way to control theft unless wages cost more that theft, if so then I guess it’s working as intended.

Also these stores are constantly popping up, you do have to wonder how many of these stores you can put in one area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies