Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 02:39 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times

Advertisements

You either have to be pretty hard up or a criminal at heart to be stealing from stores that only charge a buck or two for their products.
Unlike the big box stores which some criminals hit once a day keeping their ill got gains under $950 for one item like a TV (or whatever leftist kook limit has been set) are people walking out with shopping carts full of stuff from dollar stores.

Old 03-17-2024, 05:36 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Don't believe everything you read/see/hear.

Location.Location.Location.
Turnover.Turnover.Turnover.

The one I go to runs great.
Very busy from open to closing.
Clean. Inviting. Nicely stocked.
Well manned. In a nice neighborhood.

and no.........I'm not telling you where it is located.

Old 03-17-2024, 09:19 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Don't believe everything you read/see/hear.

Location.Location.Location.
Turnover.Turnover.Turnover.

The one I go to runs great.
Very busy from open to closing.
Clean. Inviting. Nicely stocked.
Well manned. In a nice neighborhood.

and no.........I'm not telling you where it is located.

That's how the $ Tree is near me, located in a high income / high education area. Great place if you mix your own cleaning supplies. Good for cheap mens shampoo, travel toiletries, painting sundries, movie theater candy, sometimes have a deal on car detailing stuff. Nice people working there.

I went to another one in Orange County CA a few months ago and it was POS, sketchy characters outside, equally as rough & tough employees, poor lighting inside, inventory was a mess.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:33 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Watch where the 30 Dollar Trees are closed though - it won't be the ones in the suburbs.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:34 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Watch where the 30 Dollar Trees are closed though - it won't be the ones in the suburbs.
It’s 30 stores out of 16,000.

They’ll do like all companies do and closing the least profitable stores. It could be due to theft or competition in the area or any number of reasons.. In NJ Dollar Trees are mostly in suburban areas.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Waiting to see the list with most of the usual cities where crime isn't treated seriously packing it.

Then we'll get to (again) hear how it's just normal closures and it's happening everywhere.

Family Dollar though, will smartly avoid addressing any particular city or state though....or find themselves the target of investigations, legislation, red tape etc.
First, no idea where the OP got the "theft" argument from.

The article says that they are taking a $950M impairment charge and a $1.07B goodwill charge. These are intangible "losses".

From a practical standpoint, Dollar Tree bought Family Dollar. Both generally operate in the same geographic location (heck, even the article shows a building shared by the two stores). It makes sense that stores are going to close. There is no reason to have twice the overhead, inventory, etc in the same geographical area (however one may define "geographical area").

You can read the quarterly report here.

Quote:
Selling, general and administrative expenses were 54.0% of total revenue, compared to 22.9%. The increase was due to a non-cash goodwill impairment charge, a non-cash trade name impairment charge, a non-cash store asset impairment charge, a litigation charge, unfavorable development of general liability claims, labor investments in store and field payroll, investments in repairs and maintenance, and higher depreciation and amortization, partially offset by sales leverage, the impact of the 53rd week in fiscal 2023, and lower utility costs. On a non-GAAP basis, which excludes the impairment and litigation charges, adjusted selling, general and administrative costs were 24.4% of total revenue.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:16 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Waiting to see the list with most of the usual cities where crime isn't treated seriously packing it.

Then we'll get to (again) hear how it's just normal closures and it's happening everywhere.

Family Dollar though, will smartly avoid addressing any particular city or state though....or find themselves the target of investigations, legislation, red tape etc.
Agree and best not to mention (or at least downplay) the issue of theft assuming it's a problem.

Just pack up and leave.

Old 03-18-2024, 02:54 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
I am going to assume with Dollar Tree they have just built way too many stores, saturated them market in many areas.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:05 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I am going to assume with Dollar Tree they have just built way too many stores, saturated them market in many areas.
Well, I’m sure there’s a lot of overlap in many areas once they bought family Dollar. It is mostly family Dollar that they are dumping, only 30 of the 1000 stores closing are dollar tree stores. Why should they have two stores within a block or two of each other, competing with each other?

Old 03-18-2024, 04:34 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, I’m sure there’s a lot of overlap in many areas once they bought family Dollar. It is mostly family Dollar that they are dumping, only 30 of the 1000 stores closing are dollar tree stores. Why should they have two stores within a block or two of each other, competing with each other?
Very true, now that DT owns Family Dollar.

Also, most DTs I go into seem to be pretty decent and running fairly smoothly. On the other hand, maybe DT upper-management does not see Family Dollar fitting in well with their store-lineup, the ones I have been in have not been very nice, and that is putting it mildly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies